Foods that Can Help Alleviate Osteoarthritis
- Author Jeremy Smith
- Published March 22, 2012
- Word count 447
Osteoarthritis is a condition that occurs when the cartilage in the joints begins to break down and wear away. This condition can affect anyone of any age, but it most often occurs in women over the age of 55. Family history, obesity and fractures are other risk factors for osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis can make it difficult for people to complete the most mundane tasks, but fortunately, it can be treated with diet. People who have this condition need to make sure that they are getting adequate amounts of vitamins, D, C, E, Zinc, selenium, copper and omega 3 fatty acids.
Obesity is a major risk factor for osteoarthritis. Studies have shown that people who are obese have lower levels of vitamin D. Sardines, salmon and organic egg yolk are the richest sources of vitamin D.
Vitamins C, E, zinc, selenium and copper are known as antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that help reduce the number of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are compounds in the body that cause inflammation, which can lead to osteoarthritis. Antioxidants can also help reduce the pain that is associated with osteoarthritis.
Citrus fruits, cauliflower and broccoli are excellent sources of vitamin C. Tomatoes, kiwifruit, wheat germ oil, peanut butter and spinach are just a few of the many foods that are high in vitamin E. Zinc is found in pumpkin seeds, lamb, yogurt, venison and beef . Selenium is grains, red meat, shellfish and garlic. Beans, leafy vegetables, oysters and organ meats are abundant in copper.
Omega 3 fatty acids are nutrients that are found in fatty fish, walnuts, scallops, flaxseeds and tuna. Omega 3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and joint stiffness. Most people do not get enough of this nutrient from this diet and would benefit from taking a fish oil supplement. However, a person should consult with his physician before taking any supplement.
There are also some foods that people should avoid when they are following the osteoarthritis diet. Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, white rice and baked goods have been shown to aggravate this condition and should be avoided as much as possible. People should also make sure that they avoid salami, pepperoni, fatty pork, cheese and whole milk.
People who have not noticed any improvement after following the osteoarthritis diet should consult with their physician. Patients who have severe arthritis may need to take a prescription medication and/or go to physical therapy.
The information contained in this article is provided for informational purposes only and is not, nor is it ever intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice or professional recommendations, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician(s) or other qualified healthcare provider(s).
There are no posted comments.
- What Is Leptin Resistance?
- What are the health benefits of CBD Oil?
- Healthy Diet Tips for Pregnancy
- How to get a well-defined muscle mass in a short time?
- What is the most effective weight loss diet over the long term?
- How to Prevent Gestational diabetes
- Pre-workout supplements
- Incredible Properties and Benefits of Chayote
- Full Spectrum Hemp Oil vs. Isolated: what is the difference?
- Blood and Guts Pre-Workout
- The Health Benefits of juicing
- The Healing Power of Currants
- The Fact About HGH Supplements
- 10 Wellness tips – this is how to stay healthy during winter
- Something to help you with your pre workout training!
- Marijuana-Cannabis-THC-CBD - Definitions and Slang
- Whey Protein: Benefits, Uses & Requirements
- How to benefit from Keto's revolutionary fat-loss diet plan
- Wild Antarctic Red Krill Fish Oil - Best Omega 3 Fish Supplement?
- How To Become A Fit Vegan
- Mass gainer - take your dose of energy
- Green Coffee Bean Health Benefits
- Don’t Eat These 3 Food Groups if You Have Arthritis
- How to Improve Your Metabolic Health with Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Benefits of Probiotics
- How To Protect Yourself From Sickness & Disease
- Boost Your Brain Function And Improve Memory With Pearl Powder
- Digestive Problems In Usa And Its Cure
- 10 Top Solid Nourishments To Keep You Fit
- Pure Water Health Benefits