How do You Know Whether You are Overworked or Overwhelmed?
- Author Helen Thamm
- Published August 17, 2012
- Word count 455
What is the difference between being truly overworked and a feeling of being overwhelmed?
Is is not uncommon with all the downsizing, which I understand is now called "right sizing", you may in fact be asked to do more than is humanly possible at least without a lot of overtime to accomplish. You may sometimes feel you have a choice between not completing a project on time if you choose to keep your work and home life in balance, and risking the boss’s disapproval, or doing a less than stellar job in order to get it done by the deadline. Therefore, being overworked could be a real issue.
On the other hand, overwhelm is more of a feeling. Sometimes people with really active minds for example, have a hard time concentrating on one project/task or have trouble prioritizing which project/task to do first. Have you ever worked with someone who seems to be buzzing around like a bee, flitting from flower to flower, but never seems to complete one task? Trying to multitask often resembles the busy bee, but most experts agree that completing one task/project before starting another helps a person to be more productive. The focused person may appear a bit slower than the busy bee, but their more steady pace actually accomplishes more. In nursing, professionals also have to consider the impact on patients if a nurse appears rushed. Sometimes patients even misinterpret rushing (usually accompanied by a serious expression) as being less warm, and receptive to them as people in need of their nurse’s care.
Here are some tips to recognize whether you might be experiencing overwork or overwhelm, and how you can deal with either one more effectively:
Differences between overwork and overwhelm include:
Discuss delegating some "old" tasks to others with your boss when he/she adds a new one.
Tactfully decline OT—judiciously.
Request a decreased workload briefly when a report is due.
Make a priority list of projects—work on the most important one first.
Assess your day and document in between tasks as possible.
Preplan/prework part of a big report when you have "down" time.
None of us can totally control our work environments or workload at times (emergencies do happen). Being aware whether we are feeling the effects of actually having too much on our plate (I then rename a platter full of work) or whether we are reacting more on the emotional level, can help empower us as female professionals to utilize the coping behaviors above to proactively deal with either issue.
Work wellness is important for overall health and balance helps female professionals, especially those in the health care field, keep your career passion alive!
Helen M. Thamm, APRN,CPC is a certified career success and wellness coach. She is the author of the new manager’s success toolkit book: How to Manage with a Magic Wand (No, Don’t Hit Your "Problem Employees" over the Head with it!) and co-author with Dr. John Ellis of the bestselling book: The Wellness Code. Visit nursecareersuccess.com for a free copy of her ebook "How to knockout burnout and beat bully behavior.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Summer escapes. Choose the right Jewellery that will remind you forever.
- What Makes a Good All Around Stand Up Paddle Board?
- 30 Largest TensorFlow Datasets for Machine Learning
- The Rise of TikTok in a COVID World & What We Expect to See Post COVID
- Us Against Them
- How to accurately cost estimate projects
- Forged Documents, Counterfeit Goods, Cyber Intrusion Including Identity Theft Have Become a Symbol Of Our 21st Century Culture
- Best Ping Pong Table Indoor & Outdoor Reviews 2020
- Step By Step Guide To Write A Good Research Proposal
- How To Write A Super Resume In 2020
- Matcha Tea - Preparation, Health Benefits, Usage, and Side Effects
- Training Is a Must for Puppies to Reach Their Ultimate Potential
- Belle Delphine Bathwater
- Young Guru explains How to get Paid on Youtube the New Rich Way! YouTubers won’t want to miss out on this.
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- A Great Collection of Children's Bronze Sculptures | NIFAO.COM
- Types of Cables and Wires Found in Modern Technology
- Stunning stainless steel tiles for backsplash
- A public relations strategy is critical during a pandemic
- Considerable Factors of Zachary Levi, The Famous Actor
- Developing Good Habits
- 5 Languages of Appreciation
- How To Pick The Right University For You
- Why Should You Opt For A Postnuptial Agreement?
- The Iconic LBD Little Black Dress
- Excision of Mucocele Using Dental DIODE LASER
- Reach Local SEO Brisbane for the Best SEO Tips
- Why Backlink Checker Tool is Very Important for Digital Marketer?
- There's Big Money In THE FACTS ABOUT NETWORK MARKETING