How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
- Author Ells Schwartz
- Published October 17, 2012
- Word count 649
Fruit flies can be quite a problem, especially if you live in parts of the world where there is a lot of heat. It can be annoying to cover all of your fruit with a cloth, plastic paper, or a lid, but that’s often the only thing that you know to do to get rid of fruit flies. The good news is that it’s actually a lot easier than you might expect, so here are some things that you can do to get rid of these pesky flies once and for all:
Keep Things Clean – If you keep your kitchen nice and clean, the flies will have nothing to be attracted to. They love the smell of fruits and vegetables, especially items that are going bad. If you want to keep them away, just make sure that your kitchen is nice and clean. Use disinfectant to wipe down the counters every night, and immediately clean up any spills. Take the time to empty food out of the drain trap in your kitchen, and make sure that your garbage can lid is clean.
Cover Things Properly – If you leave fruit in a bowl, the flies are definitely going to be attracted to it. It’s a good idea to put the fruit in a bowl that you can cover with a lid, as the flies will have no way to get at the fruit. Make sure that your garbage can is properly closed, and stow all the leftover food in the fridge. Close the pantry doors, and be certain that there is no food left out in the open air.
Use Vinegar to Trap Them – For those that are sick and tired of the fruit flies, vinegar makes a very handy trap. Pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a cup of warm water, and pour in a couple of teaspoons of dish soap – preferably a citrus scented soap. Leave this out near the fruit, and watch the flies flock to it. The vinegar and soap will drown them, thus eliminating them effectively.
Beer Traps – Beer makes a very good trap for fruit flies, and you can pour a couple of cups of beer into a simple mason jar as the trap. Cover the lid with a piece of saran wrap, and secure it in place with a rubber band. Poke some holes in the top so the flies can smell the beer, and they will fly into the trap. Once they drink the beer, they will be unable to get out.
Leave the Lights On – If you want to make your traps as effective as possible, you would do well to leave the lights on in the kitchen overnight. Fruit flies tend to be more active when there is light out, so leaving the lights on in the kitchen will attract them. They will be more likely to fall into your traps, as they will fly around looking for the fruit.
Coke Trap – Coke is full of sugar, which is just what the fruit flies are looking for. Pour some Coke into a soda bottle and screw the top on securely. Use a nail to poke a hole in the top of the bottle, and leave it out where the flies can smell it. They will be attracted to the soda, and they will fly into the bottle to drink. They will be trapped inside the bottle, where they will drown eventually.
Take the Garbage Out – Chances are good that the flies are attracted to the smell of the garbage in your garbage bin, especially if your bin uses a revolving top rather than a lid. It’s best to take out the garbage at least once a day during the summer when the fruit flies are more active, and make sure that your garbage can lid is cleaned regularly in order to avoid fruit flies.
Ella C Schwartz is a writer for Hunterstruct Construction, a small home builder in Langley, BC
offering design and building services throughout Southwest British Columbia, including the BC interior and Sunshine Coast. Best known for its functional and great looking cottages and cabins, Hunterstruct showcases its best small home designs on the Hunterstruct.com website. We love building, and it shows!Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?
- Advice for an Environmentally Sustainable Home Build
- Protecting and Maintaining Your Glass Assets Over The Winter