From Your Account To Your Purse: How ATMs Give You Your Money
- Author Harvey Mcewan
- Published March 1, 2013
- Word count 539
Over the last half century, automated teller machines – or ATMs as they’re more commonly known – have revolutionised the way we bank. Initially created simply to dispense cash, today’s ATMs perform a range of functions. In the 21st century, you can use an ATM to deposit cash as well as withdraw it from your account, check your balance and to top up your mobile phone. Many ATMs also have multi-lingual capabilities and touch screen functionality, making them more relevant and useful in today’s globalised world.
But how exactly do ATMs work? Read on to find out more about this ground-breaking machine and how it gets your money from your account to your purse.
How ATMs work
If you’ve just opened a bank account, or you’re simply new to ATMs, it’s important to distinguish between their various components and buttons. The first step is to insert your bank card into the machine. It will then prompt you to enter your four-digit PIN – which will have been given to you by your bank. Provided you have entered your PIN correctly, you’ll then be asked which function you’d like to complete: for instance, a cash withdrawal, a balance check or a mobile top up. If you’re withdrawing cash – the most common use of an ATM – you must specify how much you need. You’ll hear the faint whooshing sound of notes being counted before your cash is dispensed. You can also opt to print a receipt, or sometimes a mini balance statement of your last few transactions.
Of course, the money doesn’t magically fly from your bank account to the ATM. Essentially, each ATM is connected to a host processor. When you insert your card and PIN to request cash, the host routes the request to your bank or building society. Provided you have enough money, this triggers an electronic funds transfer from your bank account to the host’s account. When the funds have been transferred, an approval code is sent to the ATM asking it to release the cash. The merchant running the machine will then be reimbursed by the host account soon after the transaction. It sounds like a complex process, but to the customer using the ATM it takes place in a matter of seconds.
Advantages of using ATMs
Whether or not you use an ATM to obtain cash from your account is usually a personal preference, but there are many advantages to the technology. Its primary benefit is convenience. Previously, people could only obtain money when bank branches were open. With ATMs, you have access to your money 24 hours a day. And although there may be queues at some ATMs they are usually cleared much faster than they would be in a bank, since there is no need to fill out withdrawal forms or sign receipts.
Often, you can withdraw money from any bank’s ATM at no extra charge too, though it’s important to remember that some ATMs may charge you to take out money. And with significant improvements to global ATM management software in recent years, it’s now easier than ever to withdraw money from an ATM wherever you might be in the world.
Harvey McEwan provides a variety of tips and insight into the latest technological advances. This includes the latest in ATM management and mobile phones updates. View Harvey's other articles to find out more.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- These cooking pots are best because they are both healthy and non-toxic
- Which Foods Increase Testosterone The Most?
- How Does Green Tea Help You Lose Weight?
- How Much Weight Can YOU Lose by Drinking Green Tea?
- When Is The Best Time To Drink Green Tea For Weight Loss?
- Climate Change Data Sets for Machine Learning
- Sentiment Analysis Tools and Services for Machine Learning
- Human Translation
- Touch-and-Go Fathering Style
- Why and when did humankind switch to metal cookware, and what have been the effects?
- Here is where to get earthenware clay cooking pots in the USA
- How do Fat girls Avoid Inferiority and Maintain Self-confidence?
- 5 Tips For Buying A Bike Online
- 4 Reasons Why Young Men Prefer Mature Women
- New Platform for Online Niche Dating Service
- Tips to Choose the Best Skin Whitening Cream in The World
- How to Lighten Darkened Skin ?
- Very Basic Skin Care Tips for Dark Skin
- How to Lighten Skin for African American
- How to Naturally Lighten Skin?
- Tips to Choose the Best Skin Lightening Cream For Hyperpigmentation
- 3 Tips of Getting a Luxury Life
- Why Trampolines Are So Popular During The Covid Pandemic
- Why Sunken Trampolines Are So Popular Today
- Stop Snoring Treatments That Work
- Why Men Snore More Than Women
- What Causes A Good Person To Snore When Sleeping?
- What Causes Someone To Snore Really Loud?
- How Men's Dental Health Is Linked to Snoring
- Why are some bilingual people dyslexic in English but not their other language?