Ayuredic tips to reduce cholesterol
- Author Dr.savitha Suri
- Published January 24, 2014
- Word count 668
Cholesterol is a fatty substance found in our body. It is a steroid and an alcohol found in the body tissues and blood plasma of vertebrates. Cholesterol is produced by liver and also derived from diet. But cholesterol produced from liver is important as it strengthens cell membrane, helps in production of hormone and vitamin D. The cholesterol in blood stream, which blocks arteries, comes from diet.
High cholesterol in the blood is considered to be unhealthy .Increased cholesterol gets accumulated on walls of arteries as hard plaques. This narrows the lumen of arteries (Diameter of the arteries reduces. ) and interferes with the flow of blood. Due to reduced diameter the blood flow through arteries also gets reduced.
Recent researches have revealed that increased protein complexes of cholesterol, called lipoproteins are responsible for the cholesterol build-up in the blood vessels. Elevated levels of bad cholesterol or low density lipoprotein or LDL, are responsible for heart disease. Increased cholesterol can also cause erectile dysfunction.
Ayurveda acharyas have said that increased kapha and medas (fat) cause almost all diseases that are caused by increased cholesterol. Increased kapha and medas obstruct the body channels called srotas. Hence they advise the diet to reduce kapha and medas to avoid these diseases.
Ayurvedic tips to Reduce cholesterol
1.Sweets, refined flours, red meat, animal fat and vegetable fats increase kapha and medhas. Hence these foods have to be consumed in less quantity.
2.Bitter foods like bitter gourd, methi (fenu greek seeds and leaves) etc should be included in diet.
3.Ayurveda acharyas recommend fasting in regular intervals of time. This helps to cleanse the body and also clear the channels.
4.Vyayama or exercises have to be included in daily routine. Exercises like brisk walking, jogging and swimming are best forms of exercises.
5.Texts of ayurveda eulogize the importance of dietary fibers in reducing kapha. They recommend to add bulk in diet through dietary fibers which becomes heavy to digest and stay for a long time in stomach thus avoiding hunger pangs.
6.Try to prepare recipes with less fat and do not forget to add garlic and spices as much as possible. Garlic and spices help in fat metabolism.
7.Spices like cumin seeds (jeera), turmeric (haldi), fenugreek seeds (methi), ginger, pepper help to increase fat metabolism
General Tips to reduce cholesterol
Here is the list of foods which help to reduce cholesterol. Judicious use of these foods definitely help to reduce cholesterol
•Include LEAN MEATS in diet. Lean meat of chicken, turkey and fish are low in cholesterol. These are rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that are excellent for a person's metabolism as well as in fighting off bad cholesterol.
•Consider including good quantity of VEGETABLES in your diet. They are low in calories and high in dietary fibers. Dietary fibers help to reduce cholesterol. Vegetables are excellent sources of minerals and vitamins such as vitamins C, E and K, vitamin B-complex, and other micronutrients that reduce vitamin deficiency. They help to reduce heart diseases, high blood pressure and cancer.
•Let WHOLE GRAINS be part of your diet. Grains supply good amount of energy and also supply dietary fibers. Whole grains are also known as effective in controlling weight. Aside from whole grains, breads, beans, potatoes, pasta, and cereals can also help lower cholesterol levels.
•Make it compulsory to have 3-4 servings of FRUITS. Just like vegetables, fruits are also among the top food groups that lower cholesterol because they are very low in calorie content. These also contain large amounts of significant vitamins and nutrients that help prevent of vitamin deficiency as well as other illnesses
•LEGUMES AND PULSES should be an inseparable part of your diet. These supply fiber, proteins and plenty of vitamins.
•Exercise regularly. A 30 minutes work out in gym or 45 minutes of brisk walk are considered as ideal exercises to reduce weight and also cholesterol level.
•Avoid fast foods which are rich in oil and sugar.
Keep cholesterol rich foods at bay to keep your body and heart healthy.
There are no posted comments.
- Could diabetes be a side effect of Covid-19?
- LIFE-SAVING MOBILE MEDICAL CLINIC ARRIVES IN NORTHERN QUEENSLAND
- What are step-by-step guidelines to make use of an online MTP kit?
- Signs of High Blood Sugar - Hyperglycemia
- Root Canal Treatment And everything You Should Know About It
- Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Hypnotherapy
- The classical Periodontal treatment protocol
- Laser therapy for peri-implantitis
- Healing Prostatitis By Non-surgical Treatment
- anxiety disorder treatment
- Applications of Low-Level laser therapy in dental practice
- Abortion pill what is Medical abortion
- How do implant doctors use dental laser effectively
- How To Choose Pharma Bottle?
- What is Gynaecology?
- What Clinical Symptoms Does Prostatitis Have And How To Treat It
- Why Do Health Insurers Require Prior Authorization?
- 7 Reasons Why Infertility can ruin Your Marriage.
- What Birth Control method is best for me?
- Causes of insomnia: what are they?
- Vestibuloplasty Procedure using Dental Diode Lasers
- 5 Effective tips to fight stress at work
- Get Abortion Pill Online to Easily Terminate the Unwanted Gestation
- Which vaccinations are recommended during pregnancy?
- The minimally invasive hip replacement
- Help For Pain Behind The Knee
- End the Gestation Early with the Mtp Kit
- How To Have Twins: a Fertility Expert tells you the truth
- The coronavirus - what exactly is it?
- Management of Unerupted Lateral Incisor by LASER Assisted Surgical Exposure