TMJ Dysfunction: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- Author Leslie Trigg
- Published April 3, 2019
- Word count 440
TMJ or the Temporomandibular Joints refers to the joints of the jaw, which are used frequently during eating, talking and yawning. These joints are present at either side of the jaw and are responsible for connecting the jaw to the skull. TMJ dysfunction or TMD (temporomandibular disorders) describes pain encountered within this region, either in the joints themselves or muscles responsible for controlling movement. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, a TMJ physio will be able to diagnose and treat your condition accordingly.
Symptoms of TMJ dysfunction vary and can occur from both direct and indirect sources. Common symptoms include (but are not limited to):
Pain in the jaw
Clicking or popping of the jaw
Difficulty when chewing
Grinding of the teeth
Limited jaw opening
Inability to clench jaw
Headaches or tension in the facial region
A blocked or ringing sensation of the ear
If you are experiencing any of the above-listed symptoms, it would be wise to seek advice from an experienced physio for TMJ pain and commence an appropriate treatment plan.
More often than not, the cause of TMJ dysfunction is identifiable. The joints of the jaw move both by hinging and sliding, so interruptions to such can cause the above-mentioned symptoms. Such interruptions include but are not limited to:
Disc derangement or displacement
Misalignment of the discs or joints
Nocturnal grinding of teeth
Before commencing an appropriate treatment plan, your TMJ physio will undertake a range of tests as part of an initial assessment including measuring the range of motion of your jaw, the coordination of your jaw joints, assessing muscle length and identifying any abnormality in movement pattern including clicking, locking or grinding.
When approaching TMJ treatment, Perth-based physiotherapists will prescribe a clear explanation of your condition and an appropriate program for your situation.
TMJ Perth physiotherapist will prescribe according to your unique condition and symptoms experienced. Treatment options include various manual treatment techniques including joint mobilisation, massage and dry needling. Your physio for TMJ pain may also prescribe you exercises and jaw stretches to increase the range of motion and train the muscles of the jaw.
It is recommended to seek treatment if you are suffering from TMJ symptoms as there are risks involved in persisting with prolonged symptoms including arthritis and persistent disc dysfunction. To avoid these risks and overcome TMJ dysfunction, seek advice from a TMJ physio and commence your treatment plan immediately. When seeking treatment for TMJ dysfunction with an experienced TMJ physio, patients typically experience a high success rate.
To avoid these risks and overcome TMJ dysfunction, seek advice from a TMJ physio and commence your treatment plan immediately. When seeking treatment for TMJ dysfunction with an experienced TMJ physio, patients typically experience a high success rate.https://www.integrityphysio.com.au/jaw-pain-and-dysfunction/Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- None of Us Are Above the Placebo Effect
- What Role Does a Hospital Chargemaster Play in Revenue Cycle Management?
- Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) Trends for 2020
- What to do when you have a Toothache
- Super Vidalista
- Clinical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well
- What Are Uses, Doses And Side Effects Of Xenical
- Save Thousands by Getting Veneers Done in Colombia
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Bone Regeneration: All You Need to Know
- What Is Dilaudid?
- What Is Diazepam?
- Benefits And Uses Of CBD Oil
- CBD and Fitness: A Match Made in Heaven?
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Daily Routine
- Does the rain on the plain increase your pain?
- Arthritis Isn't for the Weak
- Infertility In the West Is Becoming An Increasing Problem
- Which is the safer consumption of pill- oral or vaginal administration?
- 5 Common Types Of Arthritis
- What is Lortab?
- How Can Cannabis Help People With Multiple Sclerosis?
- 6 Ways to Find the Best Pediatrician for Your Kids- JPCKIDS
- Eat Right to Beat Cancer with Diet
- ADHD Medications – Are You Getting The Full Story And Giving Your Child The Best Possible Treatment?
- How this New Medical Device Could Help Save a Hundred Thousand American Lives Annually
- What Is CBD?
- Dental tourism in Vietnam: Safe or not?
- What you need to know before traveling to Vietnam for dental care
- #1 Home Remedy To Typhoid And Malaria