What Are The Common Foods That Causes Food Allergies
- Author Zack Walter
- Published March 13, 2020
- Word count 514
An allergic reaction occurs when the body’s immune system overreacts to an allergen.A food allergy is an immune-mediated adverse reaction to a particular food. For someone with a food allergy, eating or swallowing even a tiny amount of a particular food can cause symptoms such as skin rash, nausea, vomiting, cramping, and diarrhea.
Reaction is often called a hypersensitivity reaction. Rarely, a severe allergic reaction can cause a life-threatening set of symptoms called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock.
Although a large percentage of people believe they have a food allergy, few adults and children, mainly younger than 6 years, have true food allergies [MORE THAN ONE IN TEN U.S. ADULTS HAS FOOD ALLERGY]. The rest have what is known as food intolerance, an undesirable reaction to a food that does not involve the immune system.
It is easy to confuse food intolerance with food allergy because they can have similar symptoms. With food intolerance, however, a person usually gets only mild symptoms such as an upset stomach.
Foods That Cause Allergies
The only way to prevent an allergic reaction to a food is to avoid that food. If you are allergic read labels carefully and when in restaurants ask about ingredients in the food you order.
Hare are some most common foods that causes allergies.
Milk (mostly in children)
Tree nuts (like walnuts and pecans)
Common Food Allergy Symptoms
When the body has an immune system reaction to a specific food, it produces antibodies to that food. When you eat that food, an immune response is triggered, your body releases histamines and you have allergic symptoms. These symptoms may occur immediately after eating the specific food, or up to hours later. Food allergy symptoms may include:
swelling of the tongue or throat
breathing problems including asthma
vomiting or diarrhea
In severe cases, the allergic reaction may result in a drop-in blood pressure, loss of consciousness, or death.
When to see a Doctor?
Visit your local emergency room if:
you experience hives or swollen lips or tongue along with difficulty breathing
experience changes in consciousness after eating
two or more of hives, swollen lips, low blood pressure (which may make you feel woozy or cause changes in heart rate when sitting upright or standing), or abdominal symptoms (vomiting, severe nausea, or diarrhea) after eating
have an asthma attack after eating that doesn’t respond to your normal rescue medication, especially if you are also experiencing skin symptoms or swelling
These symptoms can indicate a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis is a serious, life-threatening allergic reaction. The most common anaphylactic reactions are to foods, insect stings, medications and latex. If you are allergic to a substance, your immune system overreacts to this allergen by releasing chemicals that cause allergy symptoms. The reaction can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to an allergen.
Include a skin rash, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing (asthma attacks) and shock. Severe asthma attacks also require immediate attention from a medical professional if they do not respond to rescue medication.
There are no posted comments.
- FRESH SEAFOOD Our Fresh and Frozen Seafood will Delight You
- How to make the best pour over coffee
- Kitchener Meat Grinder Features - What to Look For
- What is The Purpose of Food Testing?
- The role of flax seeds in disease prevention
- How to Storage Loose Leaf Tea
- The Rise of Pop-Up Restaurants and Bars
- Why does Pu-erh tea select Yunnan big leaf
- Differences between raw pu-erh and cooked
- Bagel Sliced Bread
- Henderson County Vineyards
- What to have for Dinner
- How meat re placers affect the beef industry.
- Creative Cakes: Mint, Cookies and Cream!
- Why Vegetarian?
- Best Places to Eat Pizza
- Using modern cleaning systems to increase beer line cleaning intervals
- A True Chicago Dining Experience
- Wellington and York Partners: Food Products You Shouldn’t Miss in Switzerland
- 10 difference between US and Italian pizza
- Build your own pizza to make it healthy and nutritious
- Natural Mineral Water An Elixir For Dehydration
- Choose Natural Mineral Water- Choose Your Health
- The Benefits of Eating Grass-fed Beef and Pastured Pork
- 10 Drinks to avoid when you’re 40
- Setting the Record straight on Meat Health
- Almond oil and its properties
- Use Water Dispensers and Routines to Lose Weight
- 3 Common Issues with a Water Cooler Dispenser