How to Prevent Gestational diabetes
- Author Sara Donalds
- Published March 31, 2020
- Word count 617
Gestational diabetes mellitus also known as GDM is a disease that occurs when women in their late pregnancy produce high levels of glucose in their blood.
It affects approximately seven percent of pregnancies, it represents approximately 200,000 cases annually in the United States alone.
There are only 200,000 pregnancies, but in reality, that is 400,000 people since it affects the pregnant woman and the infant, the issue with this disease is that there is no way to screen or test a woman for Gestational diabetes mellitus before they are pregnant.
Gestational diabetes affects approximately seven percent of pregnancies
What is Gestational Diabetes?
Diabetes is a condition where the levels of glucose in the blood are too high, gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes that occurs during pregnancy, affecting approximately five to nine percent of all pregnancies.
In gestational diabetes, blood glucose levels in the woman are raised above the normal ranges for pregnancy, after the baby is born, the mother’s blood glucose levels usually return to normal.
A woman has no idea if she is at risk of obtaining Gestational diabetes mellitus, she can only tell lay into the pregnancy if she has this disease, at this point immediate action must be taken with appropriate medication and dietary strategies.
Whether or not the baby and the mother go through a healthy pregnancy, there’s still a high chance of the mother and infant to obtain type 2 diabetes in the near future if diagnosed with Gestational diabetes mellitus.
Gestational Diabetes more common in women who are :
-Family history of diabetes
-Overweight at start of pregnancy
-Certain ethnic groups
What is the Cause of Gestational diabetes mellitus:
Most individuals have little knowledge of this disease and do not understand that there are different risk factors of GDM that vary with each individual, such as obesity, ethnicity, genetics, and maternal age.
Obesity is the number one cause of GDM of women only knew that their weight impacted the life of a newborn baby they might consider a healthier lifestyle.
GDM is seen more with Hispanics, African-Americans, Native Americans, South and East Asian, Pacific Islanders and indigenous Australian ancestry.
In order for this to change, the countries where these rates are higher provide women with a health care plan that provides proper education.
The lack of education is a huge factor in the increase of GDM and all types of diabetes.
Unfortunately, there are women all around the world that have been surprised with GDM due to inadequate pre-pregnancy screening methods, and besides a prevention plan, proper education for women will help fight risks of unhealthy pregnancy due to GDM.
Our health care systems must take action and spend more time educating patients and families about this disease.
The Complication of GDM for mother:
-High blood pressure
-The Complication of GDM for mother
-Excessive birth weight (Macrosomia)
-Low blood sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Glucose Target ranges for Gestational Diabetes (American Diabetes Association)
95 mg/DL: before a meal
140 mg/DL: 1H after a meal
120 mg/DL: 2H after a meal
How to Prevent Gestational diabetes:
Every minute of every day the risks of GDM increases among women as well as all types of diabetes, in order for this to change individuals must obtain knowledge of a healthy diet and nutrition plan during pregnancy.
Prevention plans given by the American Diabetes Association and other organizations are mere suggestions, but proper education throughout a woman’s life on GDM will be key for preventing this disease.
Read books, take classes, ask your physician, join the American Diabetes Association, and educate yourself, and spread the word of GDM to others any way you can, keeping your infant and yourself out of danger.
There are no posted comments.
- Cleansing the body with natural juices
- Shed that weight with HB5 supplement
- A Deeper Dive Into Green Tea's Benefits
- A Look at the Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt
- Blueberries Are Full of Health Benefits
- Five Things Anyone Can Do To Stay Healthy
- Best Foods to Boost Your Brain and Memory Your brain
- What is Nitric Oxide (N.O.)?
- Top Benefits of the Keto Diet
- Fitness Supplements and Expert Choice | BodyTechSupplements
- How To Increase Testosterone?
- Why and when did humankind switch to metal cookware, and what have been the effects?
- 5 Things I wish I have known when I started using Essential Oils
- A Beginners Guide to CBD & Why It Has Become So Popular
- best natural weight loss GOLD
- Lose Weight Easily Without Exercise
- Why Do People Fail On A Vegan Diet, While Others Succeed?
- Weight loss supplements really help you lose weight?
- Great Guide To Having A Healthy Body
- 8 Benefits of CBD Oil and Its Uses
- What Is Leptin Resistance?
- What are the health benefits of CBD Oil?
- Healthy Diet Tips for Pregnancy
- How to get a well-defined muscle mass in a short time?
- What is the most effective weight loss diet over the long term?
- Pre-workout supplements
- Incredible Properties and Benefits of Chayote
- Full Spectrum Hemp Oil vs. Isolated: what is the difference?
- Blood and Guts Pre-Workout