Could diabetes be a side effect of Covid-19?
- Author Dara Riding
- Published September 1, 2021
- Word count 624
It is believed that diabetes is an increased risk factor for COVID-19 infection. New clinical data and experiments show that this can work in the opposite direction: scientists are recording new cases where COVID-19 has sharply provoked type 1 diabetes in humans.
The World Health Organization considers diabetes to be one of the existing diseases, on a par with respectable age, which can make someone more vulnerable to a severe COVID infection.
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease with metabolic disorders in children or adults, which consists of a deficiency of insulin, along with an increase in blood glucose levels. The illness is accompanied by weakness, constant thirst, poor healing of wounds on the skin, weakened immune system, complicated by obesity, hypertension, heart and kidney failure.
COVID-19 belongs to a viral infection of the genus Coronavirus, which is poorly understood today and which causes unpredictable consequences. If a healthy body is still able to cope with the disease or its consequences, then people with diabetes mellitus and coronavirus, as well as other severe chronic diseases are likely to be at risk of severe health problems, up to death. Why is diabetes dangerous with coronavirus, how to protect yourself from complications?
"Diabetes is like dynamite if you get COVID-19," said Paul Zimmet, a scientist at Monash University in Australia. Zimmet believes that diabetes not only increases the risk of complications from the coronavirus but also COVID-19 can cause a sharp development of the disease.
HOW DOES COVID-19 AFFECT DIABETES?
Any severe illness in diabetics, including coronavirus, is characterized by:
-low resistance - the body is unable to cope with the pathogen;
-difficult recovery after any disease;
-concomitant complications of the cardiovascular, respiratory system, central nervous system.
HOW IS DIABETES DANGEROUS ABOUT COVID-19 AND DIABETES?
In diabetic pathology, the new viral strain poses a serious threat for the following reasons:
-higher risk of blood infection,
-complex prolonged course of pneumonia,
-as well as a high probability of respiratory failure.
When tested positive for COVID-19, it is important to control blood sugar levels, timely adjust the glycemic index. Otherwise, a favorable environment is created for the reproduction of pathogenic microflora, pneumonia is difficult to treat, literally exhausting the already weakened body.
To date, a direct link between the deaths of patients with coronavirus in type 1 or type 2 diabetes has not been reliably determined. The statistics are relentless:
-more than 10% of deaths are patients with COVID-19 with background cardiovascular pathology;
-about 7-8% - for patients with coronavirus and type 2 diabetes;
-2-5% of mortality is registered in patients with other severe pathologies of internal organs and systems.
WHAT DO PEOPLE WITH DIABETES NEED TO DO AT THE PEAK OF THE EPIDEMIC AND IN QUARANTINE?
Due to forced self-isolation, it is important to anticipate possible risks and follow these recommendations:
-make a supply of insulin for replacement therapy;
-regularly monitor blood sugar levels;
-treat hands and glucometer with antiseptic before performing a blood test;
-follow a diet;
-adhere to a plentiful drinking regime;
-to control the intake of immunomodulatory drugs to stimulate systemic immunity;
-adhere to the regime of self-isolation, without the need to leave the house, regularly ventilate the room;
-take vitamins, all drugs prescribed by a doctor;
-call a doctor at the first alarming symptoms.
TO SUM UP
There were no registered cases when diabetes was a side effect to COVID-19 patients. However, patients who are already diagnosed with diabetes mellitus should be especially careful as the virus is more dangerous to them than to healthy people due to the weakened immune system. Take care and follow all your doctor's recommendations, try to limit your social connections, and immediately report to the hospital staff about any suspicious symptoms. Do not be indifferent. Every minute can save your life.
There are no posted comments.
- LIFE-SAVING MOBILE MEDICAL CLINIC ARRIVES IN NORTHERN QUEENSLAND
- What are step-by-step guidelines to make use of an online MTP kit?
- Signs of High Blood Sugar - Hyperglycemia
- Root Canal Treatment And everything You Should Know About It
- Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Hypnotherapy
- The classical Periodontal treatment protocol
- Laser therapy for peri-implantitis
- Healing Prostatitis By Non-surgical Treatment
- anxiety disorder treatment
- Applications of Low-Level laser therapy in dental practice
- Abortion pill what is Medical abortion
- How do implant doctors use dental laser effectively
- How To Choose Pharma Bottle?
- What is Gynaecology?
- What Clinical Symptoms Does Prostatitis Have And How To Treat It
- Why Do Health Insurers Require Prior Authorization?
- 7 Reasons Why Infertility can ruin Your Marriage.
- What Birth Control method is best for me?
- Causes of insomnia: what are they?
- Vestibuloplasty Procedure using Dental Diode Lasers
- 5 Effective tips to fight stress at work
- Get Abortion Pill Online to Easily Terminate the Unwanted Gestation
- Which vaccinations are recommended during pregnancy?
- The minimally invasive hip replacement
- Help For Pain Behind The Knee
- End the Gestation Early with the Mtp Kit
- How To Have Twins: a Fertility Expert tells you the truth
- The coronavirus - what exactly is it?
- Management of Unerupted Lateral Incisor by LASER Assisted Surgical Exposure