FILE ARCHIVING at Anytime
- Author Mosharraf Hossain
- Published November 30, 2021
- Word count 597
File archiving didn't start with digital technology, of course. In its infancy it meant carving hieroglyphics into Egyptian limestone and etching Jia-gu wen (Oracle Bone) script into Middle Shang Dynasty turtle shells. Today, the array of formats is admittedly dizzying. We now use document scanning, ASCII and Unicode text, embedded digital signatures, automated optical backups, PDF and DWG file structures, metadata, full-text indexing, user demographics, and quite a bit more.
The vast amount of information we generate, thanks to this technology, is staggering. It means developing file archiving systems to manage trillions of binary records and multiple formats. Digital data is not only amazing but efficient. Look at the alternatives. Think about the keepers of the Dead Sea Scrolls rolling sheets of papyrus into clay jars and storing those in caves at the end of each day.
File Archiving: The Advantages of a Digital System.
You're weighing the relative merits of paper filing against digital imaging. There's no contest. In a paper-based system, statistics indicate most documents are copied 19 times. Employees, professional or clerical, spend about 50 percent of their time looking for information but only 10 percent reading. About eight percent of all documents are lost. About three percent are misfiled.
What's more, approximately 90 percent of corporate and organizational memory is on paper. Paper takes up space, burns, gets damp, and disintegrates. Look at the 1890 federal census. In 1921 the government had no archives building. That particular census sat on pine shelves outside a Commerce Department vault, for want of space. A fire broke out. Firemen poured 20 streams of water into the building. Twelve years later the charred and sodden remains were officially destroyed.
The flip (digital) side of the file archiving picture shows a two-tiered system of shared documents, active and archived, retrieved in seconds by many users at the same time in different places. Duplicate electronic backups are stored in multiple facilities and maintained on an ongoing basis, meaning that there's virtually no chance of lost data. Storage space is minimal: approximately 23,000 text documents can be stored on just one low-cost CD and about seven times that on a DVD.
File Archiving: The Need for Retrievable Data.
The cornerstone to managing all this information is making it readily accessible as well as secure. Whatever the system of file archiving you opt for, if you can't get to the data, you've got a major problem. On a shelf right behind me, for example, I've got a Zip drive with 17 years' worth of letters from the early 19th century. This is daily correspondence, and the originals are long since lost. Yet, I can't get at them.
The disk is encrypted and the encryption is hardware, not software, based. This means that there's no way to unlock the disk and the data on it without the password that wasn't written down. Otherwise, it was a neat bit of file archiving. The letters, however, might just as well have been in a courthouse that burned to the ground during Sherman's march to the sea in 1865. Accessibility is critical.
When it comes down to deciding among the alternatives for a record keeping and file retrieval system, you, as a planner, need to consider both the types of records and user needs. Would you rather have a file archiving system that requires an IT expert to maintain it? Or would you rather have one that someone with only basic computer skills can handle and that's capable of sustaining a bandwidth for hundreds of users at the same time? These and many other considerations must be decided before you choose a file retrieving system.
I am a small Software developer and analyzer. I am specially support https://www.fileour.com/ site. Thanks!Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- One Person One Vote is Not Enough to Rescue America’s Faltering Democracy
- What Lowers Testosterone? The Answers May Surprise You.
- Just not comparable
- I Have Been Made Redundant! Do I need a Settlement Agreement?
- Will 2022 be the year of the LinkedIn business influencer?
- Essential Fine Jewelry for a New Year Party
- Miles Of Smiles Nursery and pre-school Dubai al Barsha
- 5 Ultimate Diamond Jewelry Fashion to Watch Out For in 2022
- Biggest online slot game wins
- Why Are Catalytic Converters Being Stolen?
- Service Dogs Against Anxiety and Depression
- The Equality of the Fallen
- Reframing Faith through Fantasy
- Mythopoeic Grace
- To the Ghost We Have Not Met
- White Spots on Teeth: How to Improve Your Smile
- 3 Top Christian Influencers in India
- Top 3 Christian Podcasts in India
- Finding your Purpose through your Pain
- Weight Loss and Your Smile: How Eating Healthier Can Help Your Waistline and Your Mouth
- Over 40 Keto Solution Review
- The Best YouTube SEO Tips to Implement
- How Exercise Can Benefit Your Mouth
- Solar thermal panel for water heating
- How to Rank Better for Local Searches on Google
- 3 Top Most Christmas Jewelry Trends You Should Know About
- Most Common Electrical Incidents and How to Avoid Them
- How to Play Ethermore: A Step-by-Step Guide
- An Introduction to Ethermore: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started
- 6 Fabulous Tips to Find the Best Dissertation Topics