Quick rundown on Music Sync licensing
- Author Angelica Solis
- Published February 25, 2022
- Word count 417
Have you ever been curious to get your music onto film or games but you are not familiar with the process of getting licensing to do so? I was curious myself on what to do so I took some time to look into music sync licensing which is the legal agreement between a copyright owner and a separate party that is looking to use their music.
A music synchronization license also known as a sync license is a license granted by a composer to the purchaser, the right to use the music in a visual piece. This can be film, tv, video games, youtube, or any other type of visual content. The music rights are usually owned by the songwriter or publisher who represents the owner. The copyrights are usually divided into two parts. The master sound recording which is usually owned by a record label. And the other part of the copyright is the composition which consists of the lyrics and the melody written by the composer/songwriter. Sometimes you will have to deal with publishing companies who could be the owners.
When a director or producer want to use a song for their projects they must contact the songwriter or publisher to ask for permission. The songwriter then charges a fee for a one time use of the song. The price of the fee may vary depending a couple of factors. What will the song be used for? Will it be background music, commercial music, or just bits of the song be used. Do they plan on using the original recording or will they use a cover song. Where will the song be displayed? Is it local, National, or world wide? The term of the license can vary too. Will it be an exclusive or non exclusive license? This means that the song cannot be licensed elsewhere until the term of the license expires. Synchronization royalties include a one time payment and performance royalties.Synchronization licenses are negotiable and can be a major source of income for an artist.
Opting to get your music into sync licensing and adding your music onto visual art forms is a great way for musicians to get exposed to larger audiences. This can help them create a bigger fan base so they can create more opportunities for themselves while getting paid. There is a current demand for original music because of the amount of streaming platforms we have creating new shows and movies and updating their movie lists monthly.
Currently attending LACC for vocal performing artsArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Top 5 Trip-Hop Albums Of All Time
- With His Ambient Style, Up-and-Coming Artist Nevik Wright Will Take You to New Heights
- Xeyoa Fans are on Edge Awaiting Upcoming Project: ‘Stars’
- How Technology Can Assist Everyone in the Battle Against Dyslexia. Don't let it get in the way of your reading.
- A Chamber Group Is More Fun Than A Party
- Four Of The Fabulous Folk Albums Released In Recent Years
- #GetToKnow: Snazzy Who is Poised to Take the Charts by Storm
- Harry Potter retold new book, Terrie, The Sorcerer, released and news about it
- Sultan Road Excerpt
- How Music Changed The World
- Edgy ideas that influence a poet
- Norman Music Festival Announces Its Comeback In 2022! - Know About The Summer Sound Check Series
- COP26 and Amazon's contradiction towards protecting the world
- What is General Knowledge, and what is it for?
- Serving others brings out the finest in us
- 5 Reason to start a Podcast
- The Changing Face of Music
- The Loudest Bands In History: 10 Ear-Splitting Acts Who’ll Batter Your Brain With Sound
- The World’s Loudest Classical Music
- An Exploration of Androgyny and the Revival of Rock & Roll
- Maria Pellicano explores Family Constellations with her heartfelt single, ‘My Gift Of Love’
- Born To Raise Decibels: Inside The Loudest Band Of All Time
- How to Transfer Songs from Spotify to iTunes
- From Baroque To Rock: The Surprising Similarities Between Classical And Modern Music
- Songwriter Gifted Pen Hired For To Write The Hits
- A Portrait Of A Ghostwriter
- Can't Stop The Music Down On Music Row
- 5 Ways To Experience More Music
- The Authors World