Is your RDP Secured?
- Author Priyanka Agarwal
- Published April 3, 2022
- Word count 495
Microsoft Remote Desktop and Terminal Services (RDP) provide an easy way for users to connect enterprise systems and use shared applications from remote locations.
“Yet username/and password-based authentication is not enough now to be security compliant in some companies and in general.”
Let us see in details what RDP is, how to protect it, and what are the main features to look at before opting for any service.
Where can I deploy?
What is RDP?
The Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Protocol, or RDP, is widely and securely used on private networks to enable users to log into remote computers. Once logged in through RDP, the screen of the remote system is displayed on the local system giving the local user control. RDP is commonly used in enterprise environments to empower system administrators to manage servers and workstations in remote locations, or by the employees, while away from their offices and desks. Increasingly, RDP is used to access virtual desktops. Users can log in using single sign-on, for example, Windows Kerberos within a domain, or with user credentials, usually, a domain username and password, to access an account on the remote system.
A Microsoft Study Warns of Dangers
Hackers begin using brute-force attacks once an open RDP port is identified on the Internet. They use automated tools that do permutation and combination of username and password to crack the target computer’s login credential. Attacks are metered, often lasting for days to prevent firewall/IDS (Intrusion detection systems) detection that might result in source IP address blockage.
After a months-long study into the impact of RDP brute-force attacks on the enterprise, Microsoft reported that attacks last two to three days on average, with about 90% of cases lasting for one week or less, and less than 5% lasting for two weeks or more.
According to Microsoft’s research, the one simple action you can take to prevent 99.9% of the attacks on your accounts is to use multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Before going for any solution, always check if it provides Two-Factor with all OpenOTP One-Time Password methods and FIDO like:
Software Tokens (OpenOTP Token which support Push logins, Google Authenticator)
Hardware Tokens (all OATH compliant tokens are supported)
Mobile-based SMS OTP (became deprecated in some scenario like for banks)
Voice Biometrics (New authentication method)
Also, some of the major features to look at is:
-Supports NT Domain-style login names like ‘Domain\Username’
-Supports User Principal Names (UPN), implicit and explicit.
-Supports LDAP and LDAP+OTP login modes.
-Support of Users, groups, clients policies that allow you to design your authentication workflow based on many inputs.
-Enterprise deployment with AD automated software deployment tools.
-Supports Normal (3 fields presented to the user on the login screen) and Simple login (2 fields presented on the login screen and if an OTP is required, then the third field is displayed on another page)
Always, Secure your Microsoft Servers, RDP login and Terminal Services.
- Web 3.0: lessons from the past and the possibilities that lie ahead
- Tips To Up Your Web Design And Drive User-Engagement
- Is CSS a necessity for responsive web design?
- Five Laravel Development Trends That Will Encourage to Hire Laravel Development Company
- How to design a Website to appeal to the 2022's Modern Retail Audience
- KNOW ABOUT THE TRENDS AND INSIGHTS OF WORDPRESS DESIGN IN 2022
- Everything You Need to Know About SPA Framework Vue.js
- How to Learn and Have Fun With Coding Camps
- Easily Review Data Lost or Protected on iOS Devices and Backup Files
- Supply Chain Cyberattacks On The Rise
- Top Ten VoIP Questions Answered
- The problem of cryptocurrency and energy consumption, how Elrond's Network comes to the rescue
- The Difference Between Biomethane and Biogas
- How De-Packaging Equipment Can Benefit Your Food Waste Business
- Email Spoofing - What Is It & How to Protect Yourself
- Reasons Of Why Bangladeshi Businesses Need To Redesign Their Websites
- Examining complete education and technologies: The impact of newly emerging technologies on complete education
- Agile fantasies and harsh business realities
- 5G Technology: Benefits and Challenges
- What are Advantage of Hotel Software
- The development of warfare cyberspace in the United States of America. By Giancarlo Elia Valori.
- Computer Operating System Used in Laptops and Desktops
- Data recovery from different electronic devices
- Commercial Security Systems
- DATA VISUALIZATION: WHAT IT IS AND WHY IT MATTERS?
- How Power BI Benefits Your Business?
- Safely Reset Your Windows Account with Active@ Password Changer
- How Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Shapes People Analytics
- Can Your Password Stand Up to A Data Breach?