Who invented blinds?
- Author Edward Wilkinson
- Published November 3, 2022
- Word count 350
Blinds have provided homes and other buildings with an attractive and effective shading solution for many years. But how long have blinds been around for? Well, it is hard to know precisely who invented blinds or when, but it’s clear that the earliest inceptions of blinds date back over 2,000 years.
Travel back in time, to ancient Rome
Roman blinds were invented by none other than ancient Romans as a solution to another innovation of theirs, roads. After creating roads, a ground-breaking invention at the time, Romans struggled to cope with the amount of dust and debris that would fly through the air. Modern roads have curbs that help trap debris and stop it from flying around. Back in those days, roads didn’t have curbs.
This dust was kicked up by horses and carriages and often flew into the faces of Romans and into their houses. As you can imagine, this wasn’t well-received.
It isn’t possible to pinpoint the first person to think of this, but Romans started hanging dampened cloth over windows to stop the dust from coming in. The solution effectively stopped dust and provided the added benefit of privacy, meaning passers-by were no longer able to look through the windows.
Another benefit was that blocking the windows stopped the sunlight from getting in, which helped to keep the houses cool. This was a huge benefit during the summer months. It’s logical to assume that the make-shift blinds would have also kept warm air inside during winter months.
What happened next?
Time passed and the Roman blind evolved into the kind on the market today. Roman blinds consist of a single piece of fabric wrapped around a circular barrel. The blind is operated using a drawstring control mechanism which raises and lowers the blind, controlling the amount of shading. The fabric neatly folds on itself as the blind is raised, creating a minimalistic appearance. Roman blinds can also be retrofitted with a motor which allows them to be remote controlled. The ancient Romans would be proud to see how far their invention has come.
I am the copywriter at Yewdale, a leading manufacturer of reusable and disposable hospital curtains. Our disposable curtains are 100% recyclable and up to 40% stronger than others on the market.
Visit our website https://www.yewdale.co.uk/?utm_source=articlebiz&utm_medium=historyhttps://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Navigating Global Trade: A Beginner's Guide to Finding Reliable Importer Data
- Expert Garage Door and Gate Repair and Installation in Redmond: Keeping Your Access Secure
- From Paper to Digital: Transforming QA with Dynamics 365 Business Central
- The Impact of Maternal Narcissism: Healing Wounds from Childhood
- 3 Ways Your Smile Can Help Your Career
- Mandarin Oriental Hotels Announces Opening of Mandarin Oriental Bolidhuffaru in the Maldives 2025
- What are the Key Responsibilities of a Sports Nutritionist?
- Experts On Call: Your Ultimate Solution for Reliable Service Professionals in Australia
- J. David Tax Law: Your Top Tax Levy Lawyer in North Carolina
- Who Can Garnish Tax Refunds: Your Questions Answered
- Top 5 Anti-Aging Skincare Ingredients That Work
- Read About The Faqs Of Careprost!
- Unlock the Secrets to Handling a North Carolina Notice of Deficiency
- Exquisite Nuptials Abroad: A Romantic Odyssey Through the Charm of France, Italy, and Spain
- Using Leaky Feeders for Communication
- From Adoration to Control: Unmasking the Tactics of Love Bombing
- Reclaiming Your Voice: Finding Empowerment After Divorcing a Narcissistic Spouse
- Discover Unmatched Quality and Service with Great Value Garage: Tacoma largest Garage Door Company chooses you.
- Navigating the Dynamic Landscape of Hot Trends in SMM Panels
- Careprost Vs Latisse: Which Lash Enhancer Reigns Supreme?
- Rustic woodgrain farmhouse cottage with vintage carved barn doors
- The Top 5 Anti-Aging Ingredients That Actually Work For Your Skin
- The woman who looked down on her husband: African Folklore, a Story my Father Told me
- Bridal Glow-Up: Tanning Tips and Services for Hills District Brides
- The Ultimate Guide to Eyelash Extension Care: Tips for Long-Lasting Lashes
- Navigating Challenging Business Conditions: The Power of Strategic Marketing
- Shifting from Fossil Fuels to Renewable Energy – Using Sustainable Technologies
- Exploring Paris: A Journey Through Time and Culture
- The Ultimate Guide to Color Grading: Techniques and Tools for Beginners
- The Connection Between Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease