“Delivering a mother with footling breech baby in an ambulance
- Author Kamugisha John Bosco
- Published July 23, 2023
- Word count 466
A man in labour ward was a foreigner during our time of training in 2005! It was difficult for the hospitals to accept males in Maternity ward but later this became a nightmare as more males were admitted to also work in Maternity department. Working in Emergency Medical Services is something I applaud since 2008 with Global Emergency Care. Working in a pre-hospital care setting which involves calling and dispatching, triaging, transporting and caring for casualties and other patients has given me more skills to serve my country. Delivering a baby in the back of an ambulance is very risky especially for mothers with complications.
Uganda’s maternal mortality ratio is estimated to be 336 deaths per 100,000 live birth (WHO, 2023). About 1 in 5 (22%) of women died during pregnancy and about 1 in 8 (13%) died after delivery (CDC, 2022) The leading cause of death include Hemorrhage, Infections, Pre-eclampsia & Eclampsia and unsafe abortions.
The most recent one was for a pregnant mother who went to a lower health facility and as labour progressed it was found out that she had a footling breech and everyone knows its risks and it should be delivered by Caesarean section. A call came in from lower facility to evacuate the mother to a National Referral Hospital for CS. An ambulance was dispatched, and I went with the driver. Reached the facility and found that the mother had strong contractions and we took little time to put her in an ambulance. Everything was set and we were let to go by the referring facility. I had a feeling that this mother might deliver in an ambulance. Me and the driver we laughed after we set off and he asked me if she delivers in an ambulance are you able to help her out? I told him definitely I will use my skills to save the baby and the mother.
5 minutes later after leaving the facility, the mother had more strong contractions that pushed the first leg out leaving the other one trapped inside. With the skills gained in the last 15 years in Maternity as a student I maneuvered and delivered the second leg and the whole body was out leaving the head inside the pelvis. Using Lovset’s maneuver I managed to deliver the baby, tied the cord and stimulated the baby to cry. The baby scored 8 in 1minute and 10 in 5 minutes. The placenta was delivered and checked for completeness.
After the mother and baby were stable, we had to drive back to the referring facility and re admitted the mother and baby in good condition.
For all the practitioners out there, no skill is useless until it is put to use by saving a life. If there is someone who has saved your life or the life of a loved one, please take a minute to appreciate them.
Kamugisha John Bosco is a Nurse, Health Educator, Emergency Care Practitioner and a Global Health Specialist. He is part of the team supporting National Call and Dispatch Center for Ministry of Health at Naguru Hospital.
He is the Program Director at Global Emergency Care in Uganda and in collaboration with Mbarara University of Science and Technology
He is a Volunteer with Uganda Redcross Society as National Disaster Response Team- HealthArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Childhood Anxiety: Navigating Challenges with KinderCure's Expert Guidance
- Strengthening Your Child’s Immunity Naturally: Proven Tips from KinderCure Clinic
- Colic in Babies: Essential Guide for Parents by Experts at KinderCure
- Playtime Revolution: KinderCure's Guide to Boosting Child Development Through Play
- Colic Relief for Infants: Expert Parenting Tips from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Combating Childhood Obesity in India: Strategies and Success Stories from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Understanding the Importance of Early Childhood Nutrition: Insights from KinderCure
- Diaper Rash: Prevention, Treatment, and When to See a Doctor
- Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain and Nerve Pain Syndromes
- Revolutionizing Healthcare: The Personalized Power of Precision Medicine
- How Dentists Are Using Virtual Reality To Ease Dental Anxiety
- How to Use Careprost to Enhance Eyelash and Eyebrow
- 10 Benefits of a Folding Mobility Scooter
- Unlocking the Potential: A Guide on Utilizing Bulk HHC Distillate
- Bio-Resonance and Children's Health
- Ibuprofen: A Quick and Effective Solution for Lower Back Pain Relief
- THE NEUROSCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF DECISION MAKING: Well-Being in Patients with Anxiety Disorder and Depression
- Urgent Primary Care: Your Lifeline in Critical Moments
- 10 Great Reasons To Try Chinese Medicine Acupuncture for Fertility
- The Vital Role of Audience Understanding in Healthcare Marketing
- Cataracts: Clouding of Vision
- How to get a medical marijuana card online in Ohio
- Why live a Holistic Lifestyle?
- IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS AND TESTING IN REPRODUCTIVE FAILURE (IVF trials and miscarriages)
- The Role of NK Cell Activation in unexplained Infertility, Miscarriages, and Failed In Vitro Fertilization
- Reproductive Coercion Has Impacted 50% Of Women Age 18-44, Suggests New Poll
- Panadol the ultimate pain relief
- Advancing Cardiac Care: The Role of EKG in Diagnosing Heart Conditions
- Eyelashes Strengthening After Extension Using Careprost
- Understanding the Importance of Preventative Care for Adults and Seniors.