- Author Kent Pinkerton
- Published October 5, 2006
- Word count 360
Proper car care can save you thousands of dollars a year. If you stick to the right maintenance routine and quick do-it-yourself check ups, you can prevent breakdowns and make your car last longer – or even resell it at a good amount when the time comes.
The key to prolonging the useful life of your car is prevention – plug the leaks and replace parts that need to be replaced even before they break down. Identifying and quickly fixing a problem while it is small keeps it from being overwhelming and saves you a lot of money in the long run.
Change your oil every three months (or every 3,000 miles). This is the general rule unless you car manufacturer says otherwise. Do not neglect this seemingly trivial maintenance task. Keep in mind that failure to change your oil will increase the wear and tear on your engine, leading to other problems.
Regularly check your transmission fluid, your brake fluid, your power steering fluid, and your coolant. These fluids make up the lifeblood of your car, and checking them frequently can help nip small problems in the bud, saving you from breakdowns and expensive repairs. Different cars require different kinds and amounts of fluid. Read your manufacturer’s handbook to find out more.
Keep your batteries new. Your battery is your most important power source – if it fails you, you will get stranded. This is why it is important to always check it with every oil change. Keep your battery clean with a mixture of baking soda and water. Make sure that the cables are corrosion-free and are securely attached. Remember that most disposable batteries last for only over a year – after that span of time, you should replace your battery.
A car is like a patient – it needs a good doctor. If you are not very handy with cars, have one official mechanic service your car regularly. The mechanic will be able to develop a familiarity with your car and be able to recommend the correct preventive and diagnostic care it needs. What’s more, you can probably get a lot of discounts from mechanics if you are a repeat customer!
There are no posted comments.
- Professionals Can Do The Best Job Of Overspray Removal at Just Like New Overspray Removal Inc.
- Innovative lightweight products to change industry dynamics for air brake systems
- 4 Essential Car Repairs to Avoid Future Problems
- Some Important Reasons for Investing in Tubeless Tyres
- Why It Is Important to Maintain Your Car Brake System Regularly
- Breakdown Recovery – How to Choose Your Optimal Car Recovery Solution
- Car Sound System: How to Get Better Sound Quality Without Replacing It
- 11 ultimate Guide about how to take care of your Car And Maintenance Tips
- Let's Make Your Old Car New Again
- Tips On How To Maintain Your Vehicle
- 4 Ways to Pump up Your Vehicle's Power
- Your Search for the #1 Engine Test Stand Ends Here
- Want to know to adjust the speed of wipers?
- Save Big with Easy-Run’s Fall Special!
- Tire Maintenance For Optimal Tire Life
- Beware Tires Expire
- The Heart of Your Car’s Ability To Keep You Warm - The Heater Core And it too can suffer from clogged arteries and stop working.
- Two must-see tips for motorcycle maintenance
- Analysis of clutch failure
- Car fuel saving tips every driver should know
- Adjustment and maintenance of chain
- Auto Wheel Alignment the most misunderstood auto maintenance item?
- Use A Windshield Sunshade To Protect Your Vehicle!
- The True Cost of Ignoring Vehicle Maintenance
- Keeping The Cost of Automotive Ownership Down - Create A Winning Partnership
- Car Maintenance - Do It Yourself and Save Money
- Bug and Tar Remover to Keep Auto Paint Looking Like New
- Why Wrap Your Vehicle?
- Can Speedy Oil Change Service Stations Be Reputable?
- Best Tips for Cleaning Your Wheels