The Importance of Snow Tire Chains
- Author Elizabeth Morgan
- Published October 1, 2006
- Word count 428
During the winters, drivers should take extra caution when driving. Snow and ice can spell trouble, especially for those drivers who do not have experience driving in those conditions, or those who fail to prepare. One of the most important aspects of winter car preparation is tire care. Snow tire chains provide one option for drivers who find themselves in slick conditions.
The first rule of tire chains is to make sure they can actually be used on your vehicle. That means dragging out the old owner's manual. After ensuring that tire chains are safe for your car, truck, of SUV, check with local law enforcement officers to make sure that chains are legal in your state. When shopping for snow tire chains, make sure that they fit the tires before actual use. Tire chains should be pre-fit long before going out into the snow. Drivers should carefully follow the directions of installing their tire chains, which should be applied as tightly as possible by hand. When installing the chains, tires should be at normal inflation - no deflating the tires for an easier application process! After putting the tire chains on all four tires, drive about one-quarter of a mile, then stop and retighten. When driving with snow tire chains, drivers should not exceed 30 miles per hour.
For cars, there are many snow tire chain options to choose from. Cable chains are the most economical choice; they are lightweight and often have galvanized steel rollers for increased traction on vehicles with limited fender clearance. Twist link chains are another economical choice for vehicles with minimal clearance. Highway chains are usually all-steel with a twist link design also, but these chains are designed for vehicles with non-restricted wheel well clearance, and the heavier chains provide added durability and traction. Sno Grip chains are an excellent option for winter weather - they provide superior traction and a smooth ride, and the square link design allows for better standing, stopping, and cornering than any other conventional ladder design. Road King chains offer a square link design, with a Y pattern chain. This offers drivers a comfortable, yet aggressive drive, with less vibration and noise. Finally, V-Bar snow tire chains provide aggressive traction for snow removal and emergency vehicles, but they should not be used on vehicles with restricted wheel well clearance.
Regardless of the brand or style of snow tire chains used, winter drivers should make sure that the chains are the proper fit and are correctly installed in order to offer the most protection for the driver and passengers.
There are no posted comments.
- Professionals Can Do The Best Job Of Overspray Removal at Just Like New Overspray Removal Inc.
- Innovative lightweight products to change industry dynamics for air brake systems
- 4 Essential Car Repairs to Avoid Future Problems
- Some Important Reasons for Investing in Tubeless Tyres
- Why It Is Important to Maintain Your Car Brake System Regularly
- Breakdown Recovery – How to Choose Your Optimal Car Recovery Solution
- Car Sound System: How to Get Better Sound Quality Without Replacing It
- 11 ultimate Guide about how to take care of your Car And Maintenance Tips
- Let's Make Your Old Car New Again
- Tips On How To Maintain Your Vehicle
- 4 Ways to Pump up Your Vehicle's Power
- Your Search for the #1 Engine Test Stand Ends Here
- Want to know to adjust the speed of wipers?
- Save Big with Easy-Run’s Fall Special!
- Tire Maintenance For Optimal Tire Life
- Beware Tires Expire
- The Heart of Your Car’s Ability To Keep You Warm - The Heater Core And it too can suffer from clogged arteries and stop working.
- Two must-see tips for motorcycle maintenance
- Analysis of clutch failure
- Car fuel saving tips every driver should know
- Adjustment and maintenance of chain
- Auto Wheel Alignment the most misunderstood auto maintenance item?
- Use A Windshield Sunshade To Protect Your Vehicle!
- The True Cost of Ignoring Vehicle Maintenance
- Keeping The Cost of Automotive Ownership Down - Create A Winning Partnership
- Car Maintenance - Do It Yourself and Save Money
- Bug and Tar Remover to Keep Auto Paint Looking Like New
- Why Wrap Your Vehicle?
- Can Speedy Oil Change Service Stations Be Reputable?
- Best Tips for Cleaning Your Wheels