Why are Generic Medicines cheaper?
- Author Jatin Chawla
- Published October 29, 2006
- Word count 340
Generic medicine is defined as a substitute or a bioequivalent of a branded medicine with respect to pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties. Why is it sold cheaper than the brand name medicines? Let's find it out.
The primary reason for cheaper price of generic medicine is that their manufacturing companies don’t have much overhead cost. Therefore they can offer these medicines at cheaper price and still maintain their profitability.
Let's look at why generic medicine manufacturers are able to sell their product cheaper than the brand name companies.
Brand name companies invest lot of money in research and development of any new medicine.
Money is also spent in getting the medicine approved by the government as safe and effective.
Once approved by the government, lot of money is spent on marketing the product through all kinds of media (print, television, internet etc).
A generic medicine manufacturer has enough information from the studies done by the brand manufacturing company, so they don’t have to spend money on research work. By claiming their drug as a bioequivalent, they don’t have to spend money to put their medicine on clinical trials. Also, due to extensive marketing of the innovator brand, they just claim their product to be equivalent to it and benefit from the market value of the brand name medicine.
Since generic medicine manufacturers don’t incur much cost in the whole process of manufacturing, they are able to sell it off at much lower cost than brand name medicines.
Now the question arises, if the brand name companies invest so much money in creating these medicines, why don’t they protect their rights or why don’t they make it patent. How can generic medicines be produced?
Generic medicines can be legally produced in the following conditions
If the patent of the brand manufacturer has expired.
For drugs which never held patents.
If the generic medicine manufacturing company certifies the brand companies patents are invalid or unenforceable or will not be breached.
In countries where patents are not enforceable.
There are no posted comments.
- NJ Medical Marijuana Got Cheaper in July 2020
- Clinical Equipment Makers Fight To Fulfill Local Request Amid Of Coronavirus Flare-Up
- Excision of Mucocele Using Dental DIODE LASER
- Everything you need to know about CBD oil
- Acupuncture in London
- None of Us Are Above the Placebo Effect
- What Role Does a Hospital Chargemaster Play in Revenue Cycle Management?
- Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) Trends for 2020
- What to do when you have a Toothache
- Super Vidalista
- Clinical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well
- What Are Uses, Doses And Side Effects Of Xenical
- Save Thousands by Getting Veneers Done in Colombia
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Bone Regeneration: All You Need to Know
- What Is Dilaudid?
- What Is Diazepam?
- Benefits And Uses Of CBD Oil
- CBD and Fitness: A Match Made in Heaven?
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Daily Routine
- Does the rain on the plain increase your pain?
- Arthritis Isn't for the Weak
- Infertility In the West Is Becoming An Increasing Problem
- Which is the safer consumption of pill- oral or vaginal administration?
- 5 Common Types Of Arthritis
- What is Lortab?
- How Can Cannabis Help People With Multiple Sclerosis?
- 6 Ways to Find the Best Pediatrician for Your Kids- JPCKIDS
- Eat Right to Beat Cancer with Diet
- ADHD Medications – Are You Getting The Full Story And Giving Your Child The Best Possible Treatment?