Property inspections: Door and window defects
- Author Gavin Childs
- Published June 23, 2009
- Word count 492
Doors and windows can give a real indicator of the structural integrity of a house, but they are also one of the more complex aspects of building inspection. It is worth spending time to check them out thoroughly, because for many it is tempting to make assumptions about them based upon appearance. The reality is that each door and window needs to be separately trialled.
Inspecting door and window defects
Doors can be one of the more complex aspects of a building inspection and should be first looked at from the outside. Things to check include:
Whether the door opens and closes smoothly. Failure to do so may indicate there is structural warping in the building, or that the door has not been mounted properly
Door mechanisms should be checked thoroughly to ensure they work properly
Mechanisms should be in good condition and can be checked for corrosion, wear or other signs of age. Although old mechanisms can work fine, this needs to be factored in if it looks like they may need to be replaced
You can also check to see if door mechanisms have sufficient security attributes
Make sure doors seal tightly so that they are truly weather proof
Doors are the main entry point to a house so it makes sense to ensure they are in peak condition. They also indicate quite a bit about the structural integrity of a house. Windows are likewise important aesthetically and in terms of security and keeping the weather out. Windows need to be tested for:
Whether they seal properly. Manually try opening and shutting them. Keeping weather out is vital.
Check them for signs of wear and ageing. Windows in older houses may be held in place by putty and this can age and deteriorate, which can be costly to repair
Make sure mechanisms work properly. Test them by hand making sure they function smoothly.
Check windows both externally and from the interior, making sure mechanisms work and also note signs of wear and ageing
Windows and doors are extremely important to the overall value of a house and can give indicators of deeper structural problems. If they appear to jam this could indicate irregularities in the overall integrity of the building.
Looking for door and window defects when inspecting a house
Doors and windows define entry points to a house and should therefore be treated seriously. Inspecting them should involve a thorough inspection from the exterior and the interior making sure that all doors and windows seal properly and that mechanisms work. Signs of ageing should be noted and older windows which are set in putty may be subject to deterioration, which can be costly to fix. Doors and windows should open and close smoothly and jamming may indicate structural problems. Overall doors and windows can give an insight into the viability of a structure, and certainly whether or not greater costs will be incurred to ensure they conform to expectations.
Gavin Childs provides property inspection reports in Sydney, Australia.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?