Benefits Advantages of Having a Mediterranean Diet
- Author Nicholas Kringas
- Published February 7, 2011
- Word count 337
It’s very likely that you have already heard a hundred times about the Greek diet and how it’s very beneficial to health. But it seems a great challenge to keep one’s slender shape with a diet generally consisting of olive oil, Greek yoghurt, cheese, bread and pasta.
It turns out it is all about the ingredients. Western civilization encourages a lifestyle of ease and comfort. Yet, diet seems to take a backseat as people have become less attentive to their nutritional needs and have become used to eating foods that are processed, pre-packed and full of artificial substances. Foods like these have more calories and are not very nutritious. In Greece, however, they adhere to the Mediterranean diet which is very contrary to Western diet.
These days, though, the Greek obesity rate and the quantity of fast food chains in the nation are both ascending. Still, a look back on the history of the land’s cuisine will reveal tales of healthy and decadent delights.
The Greeks consume only a small amount of foods from animal sources – only about 7 percent. In contrast, they eat more than 60 percent of plant-based foods, like: legumes, fruits and vegetables. Greeks pay special attention to fresh provisions and home cooking. There are a lot of food choices out there, but nothing can compare to a mother’s grilled lamb with rice and fresh veggies on the side.
Foods included in the Greek diet are all very healthful as they contain vitamins and antioxidants that are vital in promoting wellbeing and longevity. Antioxidants found in olives as well as all other fruits and vegetables fight free radicals that could cause cancer and deterioration of cells.
So, you have the option of trying out Greek cuisine the next time you go out shopping for groceries. It only calls for some fresh fruits and vegetables, a choice of legume, some of your favorite meats, aromatic herbs, lemons, and of course olive oil – and you’ll feel like the better and fitter you.
If you enjoyed this article then check out the website of the bestArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- What is The Purpose of Food Testing?
- The role of flax seeds in disease prevention
- How to Storage Loose Leaf Tea
- What Are The Common Foods That Causes Food Allergies
- The Rise of Pop-Up Restaurants and Bars
- Why does Pu-erh tea select Yunnan big leaf
- Differences between raw pu-erh and cooked
- Bagel Sliced Bread
- Henderson County Vineyards
- What to have for Dinner
- How meat re placers affect the beef industry.
- Creative Cakes: Mint, Cookies and Cream!
- Why Vegetarian?
- Best Places to Eat Pizza
- Using modern cleaning systems to increase beer line cleaning intervals
- A True Chicago Dining Experience
- Wellington and York Partners: Food Products You Shouldn’t Miss in Switzerland
- 10 difference between US and Italian pizza
- Build your own pizza to make it healthy and nutritious
- Natural Mineral Water An Elixir For Dehydration
- Choose Natural Mineral Water- Choose Your Health
- The Benefits of Eating Grass-fed Beef and Pastured Pork
- 10 Drinks to avoid when you’re 40
- Setting the Record straight on Meat Health
- Almond oil and its properties
- Use Water Dispensers and Routines to Lose Weight
- 3 Common Issues with a Water Cooler Dispenser
- 4 Great Food Options for Overcoming Hunger Pangs When Dieting
- Aussie Natural Spring Water
- Healthy Living