Ring in the New Year the Smoky Mountains Way
- Author Wendi Tunny
- Published January 15, 2012
- Word count 450
When you say, "New Year's ball drop," most people immediately think of Times Square in New York. If you're looking for a family-friendly alternative to the bright lights and big cities, Gatlinburg delivers a celebration even Dick Clark himself would be proud of.
This year marks the 36th annual New Year's Eve Ball Drop and Fireworks Show. Taking place at the Space Needle in Gatlinburg, the party kicks off with music, favors and fun that lead up to the main event.
Then - as the countdown begins - the ball slowly descends, finally reaching the bottom at the stroke of midnight. But the excitement doesn't end there. A fully choreographed fireworks show ignites from the Needle that ushers in the New Year in a blaze of glory.
Gatlinburg's New Year's Eve Celebration
If a street party is more your style, head over to downtown Gatlinburg where an estimated 40,000 people will gather to welcome 2012. Starting at 11pm, a countdown to midnight sets off an enormous fireworks display.
Performers from the Hard Rock Café will have people dancing in the streets as will local radio DJs. Many restaurants, shops and attractions are even open for this annual event. Trolleys will operate until 2am.
Ride the Train to 2012
If you'd prefer a romantic evening for just you and your honey, leave the kids with Grandma and take a day trip to Bryson City, NC. The Smoky Mountain Railroad offers a quiet celebration onboard this classic train filled with live music, dancing and scrumptious food.
Acoustic harmonies fill the air as the Atlanta-based duo rings out memorable classics and some unexpected selections. While relaxing in your vintage dining car, you'll be served an elaborate three-course meal, compliments of Chef Deborah Douthit.
Select from your choice of tiger shrimp and crab-stuffed mushroom appetizers to start. Then savor one of three entrees: spinach-stuffed chicken, seasoned pork loin with raspberry glaze or a vegetarian favorite - portabella mushroom tower. End this elegant meal with freshly prepared chocolate lava cake.
This is a 3-1/2 hour tour you'll remember for years to come. Your adults-only journey is all-inclusive and complete with a traditional countdown to midnight.
Dancing with the Sharks
For a new twist on an old tradition, visit Ripley's Aquarium. From 9pm until 1am New Year's Eve, they'll host "Dance with the Sharks," a celebration that includes heavy hors d'oeuvres, fireworks and two live bands that will surely have your toes (uh… fins) tapping. Wondering what to do with the kids? Bring them along! Children's programs are available.
Out with the old… in with the new. The Smoky Mountains offers some exciting ways to watch 2012 arrive. Make your plans and reservations soon so you don't miss a thing.
Need a place to stay during your getaway? Wendi Tunny of Bear Run Falls offers affordable luxury cabins in Pigeon Forge within walking distance to Dollywood. Visit www.BearRunFalls.com © 2011, All Rights ReservedArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Opening of Grand Egyptian Museum
- Are the wildebeest residents of Serengeti Tanzania OR Maasai Mara Kenya?
- Why Visit Uganda
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Make Nam Du Islands Your Next Tourist Destination
- Best 2020 Nightlife Experiences in Da Nang
- Places You Must Visit While on Vacation in Vietnam
- What to see in Sochi, the city of Winter Olympics 2014?
- Best Vung Tao Island Restaurants in 2020
- Chick Trips on a MY BVI Charter
- Visiting Serengeti on a Budget Safari in Tanzania
- Top 5 Safari Destinations Starting from Dar es salaam
- Top 10 reasons to travel in the Greek islands
- Mardi Himal Trek - Wonderful Short Trek in Annapurna
- Top 3 Destinations in US to Travel this Summer
- Where Can I Find the Best Valued Vacation Home Rental?
- Here’s what you should know When Shipping a Car to the Caribbean
- How to Make Your Connecting Flights Smoother?
- Reasons to Pick Indian Destinations for your Honeymoon
- Travel From New York To Las Vegas: Book Flights From JFK to LAS
- Find the Best Florida Vacation Rentals
- Qualified Travel Specialists for Your Trip
- Choose Best Trekking /Tour In Nepal And Get Thrilling Experience
- Annapurna Base Camp
- Top 6 family experiences in Japan
- Perfect hotels to stay in Wembley to reduce your stress of travelling in the long motorways of UK
- How constant currency fluctuation affects your tour plans
- Ideal check-list for your trip to UK
- RV Vacation Adventure
- Kalinchowk Bhagwati Tour
- Everest Base camp Trekking