Should I Hire A Jones Act Lawyer?
- Author Adam Pumpkinry
- Published April 11, 2012
- Word count 523
For the bulk of workers who are hurt in the course of their work on a vessel, the advisable course of action is to talk to a Jones Act lawyer as soon as possible.
The Jones Act is a federal law that provides an alternative method for workers comp for those designated as seamen. Even if you are certain of your status as a seaman and your legal rights, a lawyer should be talked to if you are harmed on the job. Because of the complexities involved in this law, a maritime lawyer is best equipped to ensure you get the complete compensation you are entitled to.
Why Contact A Jones Act Lawyer?
Just about anyone who is injured whilst operating on a boat or vessel and who is a candidate under the Jones Act ought to contact an attorney who is experienced in this maritime law area, which is a component of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.
The legislation is designed to protect the rights of persons hurt working at sea. It helps workers determined to be seamen; however, the definition of seamen is broad. The requirements state the worker has to be assigned to and have a sizable connection with a vessel in navigation.
While you may have decided this does not cover you, a Jones Act attorney must be consulted to decide whether or not you are a candidate.
I Already Understand My Legal Rights, So For What Reason Do I Need A Lawyer?
In the event that you are decided of your status as a seaman, you could conclude that addressing the case alone is the best option. There are quite a lot of arguments why this isn't always the best option.
In order to really recuperate compensation for injuries under the Jones Act law, the injured worker has to show that neglect of his or her employer contributed to the accident. The carelessness doesn't need to be major; even minimal carelessness that caused an employee's injuries can make the employee a candidate for a case according to this legislation. But nevertheless, proving negligence can be hard, and the undertaking of getting and showing proof has to hold to court protocol and satisfy the plaintiff's burden of proof. To add to the possibilities of a advantageous outcome for your suit, legal counsel who is knowledgeable in these instances is best fitted to tackle these tasks.
Ahead of your case making it to court, you may be offered a settlement by your place of employment. It could very well be tempting to succumb to a rapid settlement with no maritime attorney to represent you, however any settlement your employer presents may be far less than what you are eligible for.
A skilled Jones Act lawyer will be on YOUR side, educating you of the best choices and your rights under the law, and striving for the full amount of compensation you are entitled to under maritime laws.
Claims under this maritime law also have a deadline. Your lawyer can make sure that all conditions are adhered to, which includes taking action inside the statute of limitations, which is three years.
3200 Travis Street, Houston, TX 77006
(713) 524-3500Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Calculate Child Support
- Reason To Pursue A Personal Injury Case
- Divorce Lawyer/Attorney to Take Care of Your Divorce/Dissolution of Marriage
- The LA Criminal Defense Law Firm
- Let Trump keep looking at H-1Bs; there is a much better option for immigrants
- The Difference Between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
- Forged Documents, Counterfeit Goods, Cyber Intrusion Including Identity Theft Have Become a Symbol Of Our 21st Century Culture
- Restrictions on some professions when striking
- Finding a Handwriting Expert in Canada or Handwriting Analyst is Tricky, Here's What To Look For
- A Fail-Proof Formula to Escape Drug Charges with Finest Drug Crime Lawyer
- Bike Safety Month: Tips for Cyclists and Motorists
- Covid-19 Update On Credit Cards Payment In UAE
- Know the Role of Criminal Defense Lawyer in Singapore
- Covid-19 Impact On Rental Contracts In UAE
- Impact on Working Hours during Ramadan Due to Covid-19
- All that you should know about the New Anti-Money Laundering Law
- Can Impact of Coronavirus be a Force Majeure Event?
- Multiculturalism here in Australia – a Good read for Migrants.
- How to Hire the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
- UAE joins nations monitoring Offenders through Electronic Tagging
- With the new Law in the UAE, the Prosecution Can Allow the Accused and the Victim to Settle Criminal Matters Amicably.
- Good Bye to Entangling Investigations, Minor Crimes to be Disposed within One Day in the UAE.
- Measures of UAE Ministry Of Labor To Curb Spread Of Coronavirus
- Worker's Compensation Law
- Can Employment Tribunal Cases Be Joined Together?
- Essential Factors to Consider Before Hiring German Translation Services
- 4 Signs You Need Cleaning Services
- Common Causes of Construction Site Accidents
- Preparing for an M&A