Saving Money at the Grocery Store Can Help You Pay down Debt
- Author Arthur Vitale
- Published June 27, 2012
- Word count 534
While every household has some fixed costs, like your mortgage payment and utilities, you do have control over other expenses like your grocery bill.
The four biggest expenses for the average American family are housing, transportation, taxes and food. While every household has some fixed costs, like your mortgage payment and utilities, you do have control over other expenses like your grocery bill. And we don’t mean extreme couponing either. Here are five ways to trim your monthly grocery bill so you have more money to pay down your mortgage, loans and credit card debt.
First, before you leave for the grocery store, go through your kitchen to ascertain exactly what you need. Making a grocery list and checking it twice before you go to the store will fatten your wallet because you won’t buy more than you need and you won’t have to make a second trip. When you are organized, you know exactly what you need and you’ll save on gas too. And leave your credit card at home. You’ll buy more with plastic than you will when you limit your spending by paying for purchases in cash.
Second, watch the price scanner at check out. Price scans make mistakes all the time and can cost you more money. Consumer Reports recently reported the results of a shopper’s survey where 6% of survey participants said they were overcharged at grocery checkouts. While no particular chain’s price scanning stood out any more or less accurate when compared to others, it’s up to you to watch the grocery prices scan and verify their accuracy. In some cases, grocery chains will actually give you the item for free if it scans the wrong price. So spotting the error, not only avoids getting overcharged, you might just get the item for free.
Third, make the switch from buying big brand names to buying generic food items. You’ll save between 10% and 50% when you buy generic foods. It’s still the same thing as the big brand name only without the added marketing costs big brand companies pass on to the consumer. You’re actually paying for the false sense of security you feel when you recognize a label. Green beans are green beans. You don’t need a giant to help you serve a better green bean casserole.
Fourth, quit clipping the wrong coupons. Some coupons make you buy more of a product than you needed in the first place. And many of these items are highly packaged foods that are low in nutrition, high in sodium and sugar and a whole bunch of other ingredients none of us can pronounce. So skip the coupons for bad nutritional buys. Paying a bit more for whole foods is a worthy investment in your family’s health.
Fifth, avoid the cans and buy dried beans in bulk instead. One of the best frugal ways to add protein to your diet without paying the high cost of meat is to buy dried beans in bulk, soaking them overnight. You also avoid all the sodium that comes with canned food items. So you’ll not only save money, you’ll also eat better.
Saving money at the grocery store takes practice, but having more money in your pocket to pay down credit card debt and us military loan payments is a huge payoff. Take control of your household's spending with these five tips at the grocery store. You'll eat better and pay down your debt faster.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The role of AI in finance
- Adsense Pros And Cons
- Places You Can Save Money For Your Family
- Best ways to make money in 2019
- 5 Credit Hacks to Boost Your Credit Score Fast
- How The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Works For You
- Real Estate Outlook May 2019
- What Your Dad Never Told You About Income Investing: Q & A
- Looking for interests from your investments? Intus Life!
- How To Get Wholesale Houses In 7 Days or Less
- Life Settlements: The Option of Selling Unwanted Life Insurance
- Do Stock Market Numbers Really Matter?
- Real Estate Outlook May 2018
- Harnessing Stock Market Volatility
- Real Estate Investment Outlook
- Health Insurance A Must For Everyone
- Managing The Retirement Income Portfolio: The Plan
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Financial Planner
- Why Retirement Planning Is Important
- Florida Online Deed Sales - 2017
- How to make money: 11 tips to learn how to invest your capital
- How Can You Build A Bigger Pension?
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Millionaires of the 21st Century
- Finding the Good Real Estate Deals
- Only Action Will Create Wealth
- The Global Reset
- Commodity Prices Have Crashed
- What the Wealthy Do Different
- Reasons To Make An Effort Having A Home Budget Plan
- Financial Plan is Important So Why Many of us Don't Have One?