Go the extra mile
- Author Kate Marsden
- Published June 10, 2013
- Word count 447
If you want a quick way to boost your profits, you need to make sure you are going the extra mile to look after your best customers, before someone else does.
Think hard about your biggest clients or customers. Can you think of something you did that they would say shows you have over-delivered for them? Not just things they would expect as standard, but really going the extra mile? Have you ever sent them your product and given them free samples of something else? Have you supported them in a charity venture they were undertaking? Have you helped them get through a crisis in their business just because you could rather than because you had to? Or have you phoned and taken them for lunch just to talk about how you can help them?
If the answer to those questions is no, start thinking about how you can differentiate your business and what you can do to show how important those customers are to you. People often go the extra mile when they are trying to win new business, but often forget that retaining customers is more important than winning new ones.
Don’t mistake these things for the standard "corporate entertaining" stuff. Everyone has been invited to work dos, races, parties and so on – and most people would never make a decision based on these things. I’m talking about personal, relevant and wow things that really show that you are going the extra mile for your customers – not that you have big budgets to spend!
Keep these principles in mind:
• Always under-promise and over-deliver, never the other way round;
• Never tell your customers no because that’s "the policy";
• Have quicker response times to everything than your competitors;
• Think about the long term value of these customers, not what this might cost today;
• If they are in a hole, do whatever you can to get them out of it – even if you aren’t obliged to;
• Be personal in what you do – people do business with people, not faceless companies.
If you haven’t done these things, now is the time to get busy quickly. Customers need to be reminded constantly that you value them and are doing more than just giving them what they pay for. People hate being taken for granted and being treated as if you have the right to their money and you need to make an emotional connection with people to get them to stick with you and your business.
So, take action NOW – this week, find a way to go the extra mile this week for at least one of your key customers, whenever or however you can.
Kate Marsden is the founder of The Profit Mechanic (www.TheProfitMechanic.co.uk) – dedicated to giving Small Business Owners the tools, input and resources they need to succeed in the most important thing in their business – increasing profit. Kate has more than 20 years business experience, including as Director for a number of well known organisations and as owner of her own businesses.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Adapt and Adjust. Talent Retention Strategies in the Times of the Great Resignation
- 6 reasons why businesses need their own mobile app
- Disruptive Technology Machine Learning in Project Management
- Leadership Beliefs about CSR at lululemon Athletica
- Product Analysts Explained: Product Development in the Era of Digital Transformation
- Gain respect and trust with the Servant Leadership mindset
- The 5 Experts You Must Have On Your Team
- The Role of Psychological Safety in Diverse and Inclusive Work Environments
- Accounting vs. Bookkeeping: What's the Difference?
- CMI programme at Edge Hill helps build stronger team at Pakawaste
- Your PMP Study Plan 2021: 7 steps to PMP Exam Success
- What Is the ABC Test for Independent Contractors?
- 12 Key Factors that Support Transformation into an Anti-Fraud Culture
- How To Get Company Registration in Dubai for Your Business Setup in Dubai
- Europe CEO of the year 2021
- "All races have an opportunity to put their best foot forward in life", says Dr. Marcia
- Advantage Of Using HTML Website Templates
- The Top 10 Reasons Employees Leave Their Jobs — And How To Combat Them
- Five Ways To Create A More Inclusive Workplace
- 6 Big Reasons Why Professional Copywriting Services Can Be a Game Changer For Your Business
- 4 Benefits of Monitoring Your Print Environment
- Using Sales Analytics To Boost Your Performance
- Top 3 ways to improve virtual business meeting during covid-19
- Is 2021 the Year to Take Your Business Digital?
- A qualitative view point of Managerial skills
- Budgeting Operational Plans
- Management Operating Systems: Effectively managing your operations for enhanced performance
- Should I Invest During the Pandemic?
- Gender gap in entrepreneurship
- 6 Productivity Hacks That (Actually) Work for Your Small Business