Difference between psychosis and schizophrenia
- Author Hywel Davies
- Published June 3, 2014
- Word count 499
We have many times heard words like psychotic disorders and schizophrenia, and most of the people tend to confuse between psychosis and schizophrenia. For simplifying things and for understanding what these terms mean, we can say that schizophrenia is an illness or a disease while psychosis is the active manner of it. There are several signs which would help you in differentiating these two:
• Active signs
When any person suffers from psychosis they suffer from active symptoms. Signs of such condition include visual hallucinations, hearing voices, imagining things and thoughts, delusions, paranoia, etc. These symptoms are indications of psychosis or psychotic disorder and they all are active signs. One faces these conditions for at most 5% of their lives.
• The negative symptoms
When these symptoms tried to be controlled through treatments and medications, such as anti-psychotic medicines, the sufferer tends to suffer from negative symptoms such as depression, fatigue, lack of energy, lack of motivation, being just closed into themselves and so on. These are all post psychotic effects.
• Lack of self awareness
During psychosis disorder, the self awareness of a person lowers considerably and it goes low to a such a level where they cannot even identify that they are suffering from any such disorder. But in schizophrenia negative symptoms, the person has full awareness just like a normal person.
• Lack of self control
During the psychosis disorder, the person’s self control is diminished completely or it becomes too low. Due to the person’s ability to distinguish between right and wrong becomes very poor and it is difficult for the sufferer to control reactions and movements. But no such signs are noticed during schizophrenia and the person has good self control just like a normal person.
• Duration of the Conditions
Psychosis symptoms last for a very short time ranging from a few days to a few weeks but in the case of schizophrenia the person suffers a certain level of negative symptoms throughout the life.
Psychosis can be cured by treatment and anti-psychotic medications and this is the best treatment that could be given to the sufferer. But if the person suffers from schizophrenia then it takes a lot than just medications, the treatment includes different exercises, socialising, sleeping well, eating well, keeping oneself clean and hygienic, having an occupation and lot more.
When someone suffers from psychosis, they cannot point the difference between what is going on in reality and what is going on in their mind as hallucinations. This ability of differentiating between what is real and what is not is like a normal person in case of schizophrenia. But as said psychosis can be treated effectively and quickly as compared to schizophrenia. If you are looking for treatment of either of the conditions then choose the most effective and newest treatment which would help the sufferer to get rid of any such symptoms in the most effective manner. There are many groups and networks that help out people suffering from psychosis and schizophrenia.
I am a Hywel Davies. Hearing Voices Network Cymru is a network of many groups across several nations. It was started in 2005 at ‘Mind Cymru’ conference and since then it has provided information and awareness among people about schizophrenia and psychosis.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Subjective perception – Process
- Ayahuasca and the evolution of consciousness
- Why not live vicariously through Yourself?
- Reverse Aging Through the Art Quantum Physics
- What causes depression and how can you cope with it?
- Meet Psychiatrist to free from Mental Illness
- Are you humble or vain?
- "The one word you need in order to succeed"
- Wait for it... -- On the virtue of patience
- Don't be that guy...
- Investigative Hypnosis: Is It Effective Or Completely Bogus?
- Healing Childhood Emotional Wounds
- Depression: It's All in Your Head
- Taking Depression By The Horns!
- Effect of Brain Injuries
- Enneagram Type 4: Creativity is your hidden treasure
- How To Remember Your Dreams
- Natural Ways of Dealing With Depression
- Dr Eric Amidi on the Power of Positive Thoughts
- How to Increase Your Self-Esteem and Increase Success
- What Everybody Ought To Know About Self – Hypnosis
- Seven Ways to Maintain Eternal Happiness
- Preventing and Solving Crime by Reading the Criminal Mind
- Getting things done and stop procrastinating
- Alternative ADHD Solutions
- How Psychiatry Is Misunderstood
- What Celebrities Suffer from OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
- Important Facts about Mental Health
- Treatment Plans for Drug Addicts