Considering "Cut" in Sapphire Engagement Rings
- Author Frederick Holm
- Published April 18, 2015
- Word count 496
Sapphire engagement rings are becoming more and more popular in today’s world of wedding jewellery. Stunningly beautiful, sapphire engagement rings are also different and unconventional, yet still incredibly classy in their appeal.
One of the main factors to consider when choosing from the many sapphire engagement rings is the ‘cut’ of the gem, as it is this that will determine the brilliance of the stone itself. In the content of this article, the importance of cut is elaborated upon and the information given will help you make the best choice when it comes to sapphire engagement rings.
The use of the term cut has several meanings when it comes to gemstones. It could describe the faceting style of a gem or indeed the finished shape of that gem, or it could refer to the gem’s proportion. The rough dimensions and the overall symmetry determine the proportion of a gem, whereas the number of facets and the size of the stone determine the finish.
Cut is so important if the stone’s best qualities are to be emphasised. Sapphire engagement rings exude maximum radiance when the cut is made to perfection, but as natural sapphires are quite rare, the stone is often accepted without the precision of cut that you would see in a fine diamond, for example.
Principles of Cutting
When cutters work on sapphire engagement rings, these are the principles they follow:
The colour of the gem must be accentuated, and as the shade of a sapphire changes depending on the angle the gem is viewed, the jeweller must confer with the client to determine the favoured shade and craft the stone with that colour being the most obvious through the stone’s crown. A cutter’s job is also to maximise the stone’s brilliance and the amount of light returned to the viewer’s eye. This influences the general hue of the stone.
Cutting any stone involves removing some of the material, but a cutter will want to keep this to a minimum in order to maximise the stone’s final weight. The type of cut desired could affect this, as could the way the cut forms during the process.
Inclusions are to be minimised when the cutter is working on the cut of the stone.
The cutter also aims to fulfil consumer demand for different styles and shapes.
Conflicts of Cutting
Occasionally these guiding principles can conflict one another and for example, colour may end up being compromised by a lack of clarity in an attempt to maintain carat weight. Another conflict of interest could occur when a sapphire is not orientated for maximum colour because the potential weight loss would be too great.
It really comes down to personal preference and what you desire in your final piece of jewellery. Experts will be able to advise and weigh up the trade-offs for you to help you meet the priorities you have for the design of your ring.
Frederick Holm is staff writer for of the F&L Designer Guides, compiled and written to help consumers choose a unique engagement ring design. From a diamond to a sapphire engagement ring from a princess cut to a platinum band, we have ideas and opinions covering all the options.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Beginner's Guide to Kamado Grills
- The Best Way to Practice Applying Makeup Around the Head Model
- 6 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Rice Cooker
- 7 Different Types of Crystal Glass Decanters Homeowners Must Know
- Vape Coils | eJuice Direct
- 4 Reasons Why a House Party Host Must Consider Crystal Glassware Items
- Smart Considerations before Investing on Crystal Glassware
- FAA Order of Right-Away Challenged by Unmanned Aircraft Or UAVs?
- Pianoforall Reviewed: Secrets To Learn How To Play Piano Fast And Easy!
- Why Should You Have To Wear Designer Watches
- 5 Essential Crystalware to Deck up your Home during Celebrations
- How to Clean Coroplast Cage?
- Guide To Choose Perfect Striped Pillow Cases
- Which Dental X-Rays Machine Is Worth To Buy
- Best Buy Acquires GreatCall, A Leading Connected Health Services Provider.
- Jones & Black E Liquid Review
- Adding Flare to Your Translation Tool Kit
- How Does Beard Oil Work?
- 4 Unparalleled Features of Modern Headphones
- Why Alpaca?
- Landline vs VoIP - Smarter BusinessVoIP vs. landline: which is better for your business telecoms?
- Take a Look at Mi Max 2 Online and Compare Before Buying
- Know the Various Features of Latest Redmi Note 4
- Know About Various Types of Trolleys Make Work Easier?
- Lenovo K6 Power, Phab 2 Plus - Smartphones for Budget-Conscious Segment!
- Mens Dress Shirts For Your Best Appearance
- What's the Best Soundbar for Me?
- Top 5 Reasons That Make Cuboid Metal Power Banks Appealing
- Experiencing Luxury with a Comfortaire Mattress
- Why power banks are becoming the most important phone accessory