Five Key Characteristics of Goals That Motivate
- Author Bill Treasurer
- Published November 9, 2016
- Word count 471
As a leader, you want to set clear and achievable benchmarks for your team. Consider these five key characteristics to create goals that motivate!
Clear goals are SMART:
Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Time-bound. When a goal is clear and specific, people know what needs to be done and what is expected. Included in clarity is communication-make sure to leave the door open if questions arrive throughout the process of completing the goal. Making goals clear is not just for the employee-it also helps you, the leader, to know what to expect and when to expect it.
- Proper Assessment of Task Complexity
For goals that are highly complex, we have to be sure to give people sufficient time to meet the goal and provide the time to practice or learn the skills that are necessary for success. The purpose of goal setting is successful achievement, so you have to be careful that the conditions around the goal support that success rather than stifle it. Be sure to give an employee access to any information or individuals that can help them along the way.
Incorporating feedback into the goal setting process allows for expectations to be clarified, difficulty to be adjusted, and recognition given. In particular when a goal is long-term in nature, it's important to set benchmarks that help people gauge their success and see their achievement. It is also helpful if you can create an open feedback line to ensure communication about the given task does not go stale. If there is a question or misunderstanding, you want it to be addressed!
For goal setting to be effective, the goals need to be agreed upon and understood. While this doesn't mean you negotiate every goal with every employee, there is value in engaging the people working towards the goal in crafting it. When we help to create the stretch goal, we are more connected to the challenge, and more willing to commit. The harder the goal, the more commitment is needed.
We are often motivated by achievement, so we'll judge a goal by how difficult we perceive it to be. If it is too easy, we won't give it as much attention and energy. However, it demands us to stretch ourselves in order to achieve the recognition of a job well done, we are more likely to be motivated to excel. Challenging ourselves and others is one of the key ways to encourage growth and set employees up for leadership in the future.
Creating goals that motivate (rather than stifle or exhaust) can be difficult, especially when the tasks at hand are complex or in uncharted territory. By considering the five key characteristics of goals that motivate, you can create an environment of enthusiasm and set your team up for success.
©2016. Bill Treasurer. All rights reserved.
Bill Treasurer is the founder and Chief Encouragement Officer of Giant Leap Consulting. Bill travels the world speaking on courage, opportunity, and leadership. His client list includes thousands of executives from top organizations, including NASA, CNN, Spanx, Hugo Boss and the Pittsburgh Pirates. You can learn more about Bill and his newest book "A Leadership Kick in the Ass" by visiting http://giantleapconsulting.com.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Anker Soundbuds Life Review
- Looking for a Psychotherapist in San Francisco?
- Politicians Totally Ignore the Only Free Market Solution to America's Economic Crisis!
- Industrial and Decorative Uses Of Copper
- Good Soil Composition is the Key to Low-Maintenance Lawns
- Growing Healthy Tomatoes: Diseases and Fungi Prevention
- Why Get Your Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Why USD is a Safe Haven During the Crisis
- Finding the Best Fencing Contractors
- Home Safety: Priority #1 – Careful Who We Hire?
- How to Trim a Hedge Properly
- The Largest Trees in the UK
- Let Trump keep looking at H-1Bs; there is a much better option for immigrants
- What you should Know about Ubanker Nigeria
- WHEN I DIE TODAY
- Best Eco Tours in Goa - List of Trekking and Nature Activities
- Top 10 BCA college in Kathmandu
- 9 Popular AI Applications to Empower Digital Marketing Efforts of Your Business
- The AI Content Revolution is starting without you!
- Traveler's Guide to Rome
- 5 Places to Watch Weathering With You Online
- Website | Why build for your business?
- Redundancy and Starting Over
- Benefits Found In Dedicated Hosting Solutions
- Forensic guide to WhatsApp data acquisition
- How To Extract Telegram Secret Chats from the iPhone
- What If Everyone Participated on the Ownership Side of the US Economy?
- A photo manager and digital asset manager for creative photography
- TOP 10 games similar to Minecraft