Long Term Investing
- Author Lance Reed
- Published December 10, 2017
- Word count 542
Long Term Investing: Introduction to Crispr Technology November 2017
Pronounced "Crisp-per", CRISPRE Cas-9 refers to a revolutionary Gene Editing technique that allows for the removal or altering of a Human DNA sequence. It is versatile, precise and relatively inexpensive. It also has enormous potential in all other aspects of applied genetics. This would include pharmacological and agricultural applications. Accordingly, it has the medical, scientific and investment community very excited. The key question for Investors is: What are the time frames in terms of commercial application? And: What are the best strategies and companies to follow?
It seems that no major discovery or invention in the last 150 years has occurred without a significant lawsuit about origin and ownership. The CISPRE story is no exception. While the initial discovery has been attributed to Jennifer Doudna of the U.S. and Emmanuelle Charpentier of France an initial patent dispute with the Broad Institute and Feng Zhang has favored the Broad Institute as it applies to specific applications in humans. Since the science is extremely complex and the applications far reaching in medicine, pharmacology and agricultural engineering the legal issues will likely linger for years. Trying to predict outcomes is difficult but it appears that with respect to human applications, Feng Zhang is in a better position. What is probable, are a series of complex Shared Settlement Agreements that will allow business and research to proceed. Under such arrangements, large biomed/ pharma companies will pay royalties or licensing fees to both parties in an often still unsettled legal dispute. Although there are now many publically traded companies involved in this field it is best, as an introduction, to focus on the three most prominent companies. Following these three companies gives the best guidance as to direction on both commercial and legal issues.
Editas Medicine Inc. (NASDAQ-EDIT) is the Boston based company associated with Feng Zhang and the Broad Institute. One of their principle efforts have been on curing certain inherited retinal degenerative disorders. They have a research and development agreements with Allergan Pharmaceuticals and Juno Therapeutics. Bill Gates is an investor, hoping that gene altering techniques will destroy malaria carrying mosquitoes.
Intellia Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ-NTLA) is another Massachusetts based company. This one carries the prestige of Jennifer Doudna and the intellectual property of UC Berkeley. With significant development agreements with Regeneron and Novartis it is more drug development oriented. Their main efforts presently target hepatitis B and liver disease.
Crispr Therapeutics AG (NASDAQ-CRSP) is the Swiss based company associated with Emmanuelle Charpentier. They have long term development agreements with Bayer AG and Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Their main focus is on muscular dystrophy, sickle cell diseases and blood disorders including hemophilia.
All of these companies are well funded and their deals with major companies are significant. They are also all, at best, a few years away from making money. Their share prices are volatile being subject to the whims of changing future expectations, possible dilution due to cash needs and legal issues. Anyone of them could, however, carry a $ 50 Billion Market Cap in five years. With present Market Cap values of between $ 750 million and $ 1 Billion there are potential windfall profits to be made. They are all worth the risk for long term investors.
Lance Reed, Research Analyst, Kingston Trading
Lance Reed is an experience financial analyst with over 20 years of coverage into a variety of industries.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Interest in cash is falling - what's the next banknote?
- Should You Prefer Trading Commodities Using Futures Contracts Or Options?
- Why USD is a Safe Haven During the Crisis
- What you should Know about Ubanker Nigeria
- What I Discovered About Forex Trading
- The One Skill Every Forex Trader Should Master To Succeed And How To Master It.
- Factors that inhibit the popularity of Forex in numerous countries
- USEFUL TIPS: HOW TO CHOOSE A FOREX BROKER
- How to find the best Forex signals?
- What type of regulation to expect in finance in 2020
- Top forex trading tips
- Third world countries where trading is most popular
- Forex Reviews 2020 by Top Forex Brokers Reviews
- 4 things to look for before investing in a stock
- What Forex Brokerages Should Look For in a Forex Trading Platform
- Does the license of a brokerage determine how worthwhile it is for traders?
- How to review a Forex Broker
- How to Use Oil Prices As A Signal in Currency Exchange
- How An Investor Can Use A Financial App To Select The Best Stocks?
- Should We Trade With Brokers With Lowest Spreads?
- 5 Lowest Spread Forex Brokers Review
- The Strategies from the Genus’ of Investing: Investing style is a mater of finding your personality type and risk tolerance
- Market Numbers Through 2017... Not Quite as Impressive as You Think
- Investing In Gold Smart Strategy
- Variation Of Metatrader Platforms
- Determinant Of Exchange Rate
- Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD)
- Investing in Driverless Vehicle Technology
- Gold Notes Investing