Adding Flare to Your Translation Tool Kit
- Author Olga Pavlova
- Published May 10, 2018
- Word count 564
This is the inaugural Translation Tool review. And, ironically, the tool I am going to review is not strictly for translation. I am compelled to talk about MadCap Software’s Flare Single-Source Publishing application. Flare was created by the original designers of RoboHelp. I guess the smart people who came up with RoboHelp back in the 90’s got tired of seeing their brainchild being bought and sold like an old Honda Accord. They finally broke out on their own and put their best ideas into developing Flare.
For the sake of full disclosure, I do not receive any enumeration for endorsing Flare or any of MadCap’s products. I must also disclose that I am not a hardcore user of any help/single-source authoring tool. However, I do manage production staff who must support these tools as part of our firm’s translation and localization services, and I must be able to guide our clients in the best choice of tools that will better enable translation and localization. Suffice it to say, that I am close enough to the grumbling and complaining when one tool versus another is used and the outcome isn’t as good as might be expected. This is a view from the trenches.
Flare does an excellent job supporting 39 languages, which include most of the major languages for business. The list isn’t too different from what RoboHelp claims to support. Currently, neither of the tools support bi-directional languages such as Hebrew and Arabic without significant customization. Both RoboHelp and Flare utilize Unicode to enable multilingual character encoding, so basic issues with displaying text correctly are no longer a major problem with either product.
I will say that MadCap is one of the only software companies that actually makes the effort to reach out to the translation and localization industry and listen to our experiences about dealing with multilingual authoring and publishing of Help systems and other document formats, and then proceeds to incorporate what they learn into the product. We have personally experienced how well MadCap responds to addressing new functionality and how quickly they move to extend support for new features and languages.
Some of the features we appreciate most about Flare when it comes to translation are…
Ease of filtering content for use with our current translation memory tools
Ability to easily identify and manipulate ancillary files such as glossary and table of contents
Customizable skins and navigation
Integration with MadCap Lingo — MadCap’s translation memory application
Integration with MadCap Capture (screen capturing utility) and Mimic (screen action recording)
To be fair, many of these characteristics can also be found in RoboHelp, but the real issue in regard to choosing the right software also comes down to the fact that MadCap was the first to break from theMS Word-macro-based model (one of the reasons we dumped RoboHelp in the first place) and create a standalone authoring tool based on XML. The other driving force behind our preference is the high quality of the support we get from MadCap. Yes, we pay for this support, but it’s worth every penny, and we more than get our money’s worth.
Our expectation is that MadCap, as a smaller company, will continue to focus on innovation, product quality and excellent support in order to build a small but devoted following. As a small company ourselves, we appreciate this approach.
I am Ukrainian, a woman in my early forties, working as a translator and interpreter at AventA - https://aventa.com.ua/en/index.html.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Personalised Name Necklace Made Just for You
- How to reduce deformation of aluminum alloy stamping parts
- Best Oculus Quest Battery Packs
- Best Safer Baby Cribs 2021: Best Non-Toxic Crib Reviews
- The 10 best baby cribs 2021
- Reversible Ventilator for Building Roof
- Seirus Innovation HeatTouch Rechargeable Heated Gloves
- Watch Weathering With You Online
- How you can Install and keep Mannequin Head Model Props
- Skip The Drive And Buy Your Swishers Sweets Online
- Picture made with Text: A gift perfects for all situation
- Appreciating your silent heroes with Photo to words
- A Revolution for Change | Modern Art
- The Beginner's Guide to Kamado Grills
- The Best Way to Practice Applying Makeup Around the Head Model
- 6 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Rice Cooker
- 7 Different Types of Crystal Glass Decanters Homeowners Must Know
- Vape Coils | eJuice Direct
- 4 Reasons Why a House Party Host Must Consider Crystal Glassware Items
- Smart Considerations before Investing on Crystal Glassware
- FAA Order of Right-Away Challenged by Unmanned Aircraft Or UAVs?
- Pianoforall Reviewed: Secrets To Learn How To Play Piano Fast And Easy!
- Why Should You Have To Wear Designer Watches
- 5 Essential Crystalware to Deck up your Home during Celebrations
- How to Clean Coroplast Cage?
- Guide To Choose Perfect Striped Pillow Cases
- Which Dental X-Rays Machine Is Worth To Buy
- Best Buy Acquires GreatCall, A Leading Connected Health Services Provider.
- Jones & Black E Liquid Review