Vehicle Crashes Are More Costly Than People Realize
- Author Greg Prosmushkin
- Published May 11, 2019
- Word count 671
The last thing that anyone wants to worry about when they hit the road each day is getting into a vehicle crash, but at the Law Offices of Greg Prosmuskin, P.C., we know that crashes are an unfortunate reality that so many people have to deal with.
Many people only think about the immediate effects of a crash, but the long-term effects that a victim, their family, and the state face are larger than more people realize.
Crash statistics for Pennsylvania
When we look at the latest reporting year of data collected from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, we get a full picture of the reality:
124,149 total crashes reported
1,208 crash fatalities
83,089 crash injuries
Digging deeper, we can see that passengers in motor vehicles are not the only ones affected by crashes. There were also:
181 motorcyclist fatalities
3,322 motorcyclist injuries
151 pedestrian fatalities
4,413 pedestrian injuries
11 bicyclist fatalities
1,374 bicyclist injuries
How these crashes occur
Not every crash is the result of a driver’s careless or reckless behavior, but there are times when a person needs to be held accountable for their behavior. In 2017:
26% of all crash fatalities were alcohol-related
Distracted drivers caused 15,614 crashes
There were 31,051 speed-related crashes
It is not fair that a crash injury victim and their family have to suffer financially due to another person’s negligence.
The economic impacts
Almost immediately, crash victims will be contending with incoming medical bills. Even minor injuries can lead to costly medical bills. For major injuries, ones that would be catastrophic, the costs can be tremendous. Consider the following injuries:
Spinal cord injuries (with possible paralysis)
Traumatic brain injuries
Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
Broken or dislocated bones
Severe lacerations or amputations
Each of these usually requires extensive and often ongoing medical procedures that can quickly rise into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Often, surgery and extended rehabilitation are necessary for a person to make a full recovery. In the worst-case scenarios, a person is permanently disabled. Unfortunately, what many victims do not think about are the hidden costs of these injuries:
Lost income if a victim cannot work
Any necessary home or vehicle accommodations
Medical equipment that may be necessary
Loss of enjoyment of life
Emotional or psychological damage
Remember, insurance companies are out to minimize the amount of money they pay out in a final settlement. That is why they typically call all parties involved soon after an accident happens, even before anyone knows the full extent of these hidden costs. Many people, in a hurry to have all of this over with, settle with the first offer made. Please do not do this.
If another person was at fault in your crash, please speak with a qualified attorney before making any statements to an insurance company. These companies will record your statements and use them against you when it comes to determining fault and settlement amounts. They will try to make you say the wrong thing, perhaps something that could pinpoint your injuries on something other than the crash.
What an attorney can do
A qualified and experienced Philadelphia car accident attorney will be your advocate. There is no reason for you to do this on your own, not when your focus should be on healing and being with your family. An attorney will:
Listen to your story
Gather all necessary documentation, including police and medical reports
Handle all communication with insurance companies and other parties involved
Ensure that all paperwork is filled out correctly and turned in on time
Work to gain a fair settlement
Go to court if necessary
Our goal is to ensure you have compensation for the following:
Your medical expenses related to the incident
Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
Pain and suffering damages
Loss of enjoyment of life damages
Possible punitive damages against those responsible
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash due to another person’s negligence, contact a Philadelphia car crash attorney today. The Law Offices of Greg Prosmuskin, P.C. are standing by.
Philadelphia Car Accident attorney, Greg Prosmushkin Co-founded The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., who has nearly 20 years of legal experience. The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., provides intelligent, cost-effective representation for individual and business clients throughout Pennsylvania.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Forged Documents, Counterfeit Goods, Cyber Intrusion Including Identity Theft Have Become a Symbol Of Our 21st Century Culture
- Restrictions on some professions when striking
- Finding a Handwriting Expert in Canada or Handwriting Analyst is Tricky, Here's What To Look For
- A Fail-Proof Formula to Escape Drug Charges with Finest Drug Crime Lawyer
- Bike Safety Month: Tips for Cyclists and Motorists
- Covid-19 Update On Credit Cards Payment In UAE
- Know the Role of Criminal Defense Lawyer in Singapore
- Covid-19 Impact On Rental Contracts In UAE
- Impact on Working Hours during Ramadan Due to Covid-19
- All that you should know about the New Anti-Money Laundering Law
- Can Impact of Coronavirus be a Force Majeure Event?
- Multiculturalism here in Australia – a Good read for Migrants.
- How to Hire the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
- UAE joins nations monitoring Offenders through Electronic Tagging
- With the new Law in the UAE, the Prosecution Can Allow the Accused and the Victim to Settle Criminal Matters Amicably.
- Good Bye to Entangling Investigations, Minor Crimes to be Disposed within One Day in the UAE.
- Measures of UAE Ministry Of Labor To Curb Spread Of Coronavirus
- Worker's Compensation Law
- Can Employment Tribunal Cases Be Joined Together?
- Essential Factors to Consider Before Hiring German Translation Services
- 4 Signs You Need Cleaning Services
- Common Causes of Construction Site Accidents
- Preparing for an M&A
- M&A Documents
- Business Formation
- The M&A Due Diligence Process
- Indemnification in Mergers & Acquisitions Explained
- Representations & Warranties: Top Q&As for M&As
- Letters of Intent