How The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Works For You
- Author Jason Chan
- Published September 20, 2019
- Word count 229
Are debt collectors bugging you in the middle of dinner? Are old collections not helping your credit score?
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), protects consumers from abusive collection tactics. The Federal Trade Commission(FTC) says the most common violations are:
Excessive calls or harassment, including calling their workplace. Collectors also lie and say they are an attorney or government agent. They are not.
Collection for a disputed amount. The original debt needs to be verified and the amount you settle should be based on that. Collectors are notorious for trying to collect several times the original amount owed. Don't give in to this cheap tactic.
Failure to notify (in writing) of a debt. Yes, in writing. It may seem quaint in the digital age, but these need to be in writing. The letter must say how mush is owed, to whom, and what you should do if you believe the debt is not actually yours.
If any of the above things have happened to you in the US, the collectors are in violation of the rules the FTC has set forth and may be fined for their actions. It has happend in the past, so its not an idle threat.
If you do have debts owed and want to clean up your credit, contact us at Ascension Credit Services. We can help you ghet back on track!
Ascension Credit Services is a Dallas credit repair company. https://ascensioncreditservices.com/Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Do You Know Series — Whether To Use A Housing Agent
- The Most Profitable Passive Income Ideas
- 20 Simple Ways To Get Free Money Fast
- What is Digital Wealth Management?
- The Multimillionaire Mindset That Leads to Financial Success
- Charity: The Greatest Money-making Secret
- Affiliate Marketing For Beginners - What It Takes To Become Successful
- Collateralizing and Resolving America’s 2020 Economic Crisis!
- The Only Economic Strategy That Systematically Lowers Your Taxes While Paying Off the National Debt
- Let's End Wage Slavery in the USA
- The role of AI in finance
- Adsense Pros And Cons
- Places You Can Save Money For Your Family
- Best ways to make money in 2019
- 5 Credit Hacks to Boost Your Credit Score Fast
- Real Estate Outlook May 2019
- What Your Dad Never Told You About Income Investing: Q & A
- Looking for interests from your investments? Intus Life!
- How To Get Wholesale Houses In 7 Days or Less
- Life Settlements: The Option of Selling Unwanted Life Insurance
- Do Stock Market Numbers Really Matter?
- Real Estate Outlook May 2018
- Harnessing Stock Market Volatility
- Real Estate Investment Outlook
- Health Insurance A Must For Everyone
- Managing The Retirement Income Portfolio: The Plan
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Financial Planner
- Why Retirement Planning Is Important
- Florida Online Deed Sales - 2017