How The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Works For You
- Author Jason Chan
- Published September 20, 2019
- Word count 229
Are debt collectors bugging you in the middle of dinner? Are old collections not helping your credit score?
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), protects consumers from abusive collection tactics. The Federal Trade Commission(FTC) says the most common violations are:
Excessive calls or harassment, including calling their workplace. Collectors also lie and say they are an attorney or government agent. They are not.
Collection for a disputed amount. The original debt needs to be verified and the amount you settle should be based on that. Collectors are notorious for trying to collect several times the original amount owed. Don't give in to this cheap tactic.
Failure to notify (in writing) of a debt. Yes, in writing. It may seem quaint in the digital age, but these need to be in writing. The letter must say how mush is owed, to whom, and what you should do if you believe the debt is not actually yours.
If any of the above things have happened to you in the US, the collectors are in violation of the rules the FTC has set forth and may be fined for their actions. It has happend in the past, so its not an idle threat.
If you do have debts owed and want to clean up your credit, contact us at Ascension Credit Services. We can help you ghet back on track!
There are no posted comments.
- This Financial “FORMula” Will Help You Plan Around What Matters Most
- Losing a Parent: A Checklist and Timeline of the Financial Aspects to Address
- How to Avoid Lifestyle Creep: Try this 50/50 Rule for Saving & Spending
- (Money) Date Night: Why You Need One and 5 Topics to Discuss
- Private Placement Life Insurance (PPLI) in Offshore Trust More Useful Than Ever
- Indexed Insurance Policies Hedge against Inflation
- Should You Invest Abroad? A Complete Guide to Buying Investment Properties in Thailand
- What Are Your Retirement Planning Options?
- Daily Income Opportunity With U-Farm
- Building a Comfortable Retirement: Tips and Strategies for Investing in Your Future.
- Revocable Living Dynasty Trust (RLDT)
- Key Retirement & Estate Planning Tools
- Captive Insurance -- Details
- INDEXED UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE (IUL) ADAPTS TO INFLATION AND HIGH INTEREST RATES
- GRANTOR ACCESS TO IRREVOCABLE TRUSTS -- EASE THE STRESS OF COMPLETED GIFTS
- CASH BALANCE PLUS PLAN
- Tax-Free Income Making More Sense in Global Financial Crisis
- Dynasty Trusts Guard Personal Autonomy in Hierarchic Society
- Captive Insurance Company, CIC -- Reduce Taxes and Build Wealth
- What is an RESP?
- Private Placement Life Insurance, PPLI
- Lifetime Income -- Build Your Own Pension
- Eliminate Taxes Forever using an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Tax-Free Income
- The Truth About How YouTube Pays
- The Complete Guide to Monetizing YouTube Shorts
- 10 Ways To Become A Millionaire In Your Lifetime
- How to Build Credit for your Child
- 15 Secrets Elon Musk and Every Other Rich Person Knows
- Do’s And Don'ts : Buying Your First Income Property In Ontario