Do you set realistic goals?
- Author Peter Main
- Published January 3, 2020
- Word count 600
Any type of goal setting is often considered a fundamental part of any types of personal development or life coaching or 12-step recovery. The idea is simply to set objectives that you then try to achieve. At some point you evaluate your efforts and results, and make any necessary adjustments that may be due.
The question of realistic goals is really important. The goal must be achievable in some way, and at the same time must not be too easy so that it does not require any effort to stretch on the part of the person trying to achieve it.
When looking at goals that other people are setting, it is quite easy to be reasonably objective about what you think they can and cannot achieve. This is especially true if you know the person well, or you know their situation or environment.
Where it becomes more difficult, is where the individual has real levels of self-doubt about their own capabilities, and find the very notion of goal setting difficult to imagine.
It is not, usually, that the person does not want to achieve things. It is more that they struggle with the notion of how much control they have over their own life. On the whole, people tend to set goals that are not achievable, either because they aim too high, or they sometimes give up too easily.
Setting realistic goals is a very hard thing to do. Failure to meet goals can re-inforce a lot of negative thinking about someone's ability to have control of their life. This can make any type of meeting future goals even more difficult.
One of the ways through this, is to stop setting goals that are very specific. This tends to go against the standard advice about goal setting. People normally say set very clear and specific goals, that can easily be measured. Whilst this is sound advice in one sense it does make the whole issue much more black and white than it needs to be.
What sometimes works much better, is for people to set goals that are really about a process, rather than a specific milestone or event. The nature of process is much easier to grasp, is actually very easy to evaluate and does not tend to be so judgemental.
When talking about being judgemental, it is important to realise that it is normally the person themselves who are quite judgemental about their abilities of performance. This sense of judgement is likely to be about their sense of self or their identity.
The nature of process allows people to move forward from a position of where they are, at their own pace. In some ways this is a good thing, as it does not force people beyond the capabilities. At the same time, one of the benefits of goal setting is to stretch people to do more than they thought they were able to.
Goal setting that revolves around a process can do this by instilling a sense of self belief in the person, that can overcome a sense of negativity or judgement that may be there in the first place. Using a process based goal setting agenda involves a different mindset to normal goal setting.
It is however, just as achievable, and in many ways can be of much more benefit to people who struggle with their sense of self, or low levels of self-worth or self-esteem.
Peter Main is a freelance writer who specializes in issues around alcoholism and 12 step recovery. This includes articles on the Serenity Prayer and whether or not AA is a Cult.
There are no posted comments.
- The Reason Affiliate Marketing Is the Best Way to Make Money Online!
- LIVING THE LOKAHI LIFESTYLE IN TAHITI
- White Knuckling: A Dangerous Lifestyle
- “The King Is Dead, Long Live The King”: How Online Casinos Will Replace Traditional Gambling
- What You Should Know About Stunning Firework Displays!
- Locksmith 4 U - Keypad Door Lock
- How to Earn a 6-Figure Side-Income online from Affiliate marketing
- 7 Cool Landscaping Ideas for Dubai Residences
- What are the Digital Marketing Melbourne Strategies for Success?
- While utilizing Belkin switch which investigating steps ought to be followed for situation based blunders?
- How to Create an Email Marketing Campaign Your Audience Will Love
- How To Start Making Money Online As An Affiliate Marketer
- Honeywell Prestige Review
- LG UM7300 Review 2020
- How to deal with Anxiety and Panic Attacks?
- How to Calculate Child Support
- Does online shopping really make itself different?
- Electrical Safety Tips & Hazards
- Tips for Taking a Semester off From College
- How to present academic papers?
- Top-10 Cardiff Attractions
- HOW DOES ASTROLOGY HELPS IN BUSINESS
- HOW TO START MAKING MONEY ONLINE AS AN AFFILIATE MARKETER (BEGINNER FRIENDLY)
- 5G TECHNOLOGY AND IOT: HOW DO THESE TRENDS RELATE?
- The Digital Transformation of AS9110 Quality Management Systems
- Most important steps to becoming a successful affiliate marketer & make money online
- Why invest in 1oz gold Britannia
- Why Your Child Should Learn to Code
- Best Needable Gadgets in 2020
- What is Cosmetic Dentistry and Why Should You Get It?