Why Addiction To Fame And Celebrity
- Author Sarah Donalds
- Published May 27, 2020
- Word count 572
Are Narcissists addicted to being famous?
You bet. This, by far, is their predominant drive. Being famous encompasses a few important functions: it endows the narcissist with power, provides him with a constant Source of Narcissistic Supply (admiration, adoration, approval, awe), and fulfills important Ego functions.
The image that the narcissist projects is hurled back at him, reflected by those exposed to his celebrity or fame. This way he feels alive, his very existence is affirmed and he acquires a sensation of clear boundaries (where the narcissist ends and the world begins).
There is a set of narcissistic behaviors typical to the pursuit of celebrity. There is almost nothing that the narcissist refrains from doing, almost no borders that he hesitates to cross to achieve renown. To him, there is no such thing as "bad publicity" – what matters is to be in the public eye.
Because the narcissist equally enjoys all types of attention and likes as much to be feared as to be loved, for instance – he doesn’t mind if what is published about him is wrong ("as long as they spell my name correctly"). The narcissist’s only bad emotional stretches are during periods of lack of attention, publicity, or exposure.
The narcissist then feels empty, hollowed out, negligible, humiliated, wrathful, discriminated against, deprived, neglected, treated unjustly, and so on. At first, he tries to obtain attention from ever narrowing groups of reference ("supply scale down"). But the feeling that he is compromising gnaws at his anyhow fragile self-esteem.
Sooner or later, the spring bursts. The narcissist plots, contrives, plans, conspires, thinks, analyses, synthesizes, and does whatever else is necessary to regain the lost exposure in the public eye. The more he fails to secure the attention of the target group (always the largest) – the more daring, eccentric, and outlandish he becomes. Firm decision to become known is transformed into resolute action and then to a panicky pattern of attention-seeking behaviors.
The narcissist is not really interested in publicity per se. Narcissists are misleading. The narcissist appears to love himself – and, really, he abhors himself. Similarly, he appears to be interested in becoming a celebrity – and, in reality, he is concerned with the REACTIONS to his fame: people watch him, notice him, talk about him, debate his actions – therefore he exists.
The narcissist goes around "hunting and collecting" the way the expressions on people’s faces change when they notice him. He places himself at the center of attention, or even as a figure of controversy. He constantly and recurrently pesters those nearest and dearest to him in a bid to reassure himself that he is not losing his fame, his magic touch, the attention of his social milieu.
Truly, the narcissist is not choosy. If he can become famous as a writer – he writes, if as a businessman – he conducts business. He switches from one field to the other with ease and without remorse because in all of them he is present without conviction, bar the conviction that he must (and deserves to) get famous.
He grades activities, hobbies, and people not according to the pleasure that they give him – but according to their utility: can they or can’t they make him known and, if so, to what extent. The narcissist is one-track minded (not to say obsessive). His is a world of black (being unknown and deprived of attention) and white (being famous and celebrated).
There are no posted comments.
- Summer escapes. Choose the right Jewellery that will remind you forever.
- What Makes a Good All Around Stand Up Paddle Board?
- 30 Largest TensorFlow Datasets for Machine Learning
- Best Ping Pong Table Indoor & Outdoor Reviews 2020
- Step By Step Guide To Write A Good Research Proposal
- How To Write A Super Resume In 2020
- Matcha Tea - Preparation, Health Benefits, Usage, and Side Effects
- Training Is a Must for Puppies to Reach Their Ultimate Potential
- Belle Delphine Bathwater
- Young Guru explains How to get Paid on Youtube the New Rich Way! YouTubers won’t want to miss out on this.
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- A Great Collection of Children's Bronze Sculptures | NIFAO.COM
- Types of Cables and Wires Found in Modern Technology
- Stunning stainless steel tiles for backsplash
- A public relations strategy is critical during a pandemic
- Considerable Factors of Zachary Levi, The Famous Actor
- Developing Good Habits
- 5 Languages of Appreciation
- How To Pick The Right University For You
- Why Should You Opt For A Postnuptial Agreement?
- The Iconic LBD Little Black Dress
- Excision of Mucocele Using Dental DIODE LASER
- Reach Local SEO Brisbane for the Best SEO Tips
- Why Backlink Checker Tool is Very Important for Digital Marketer?
- There's Big Money In THE FACTS ABOUT NETWORK MARKETING
- Types of Certifications for Digital Marketing
- What is a session in Google Analytics?
- Who do digital marketing certification
- Hail, Hail The Gang's All Here