Cheap VS Expensive Mattresses: How to Get the Best Value for Money
- Author Don Milne
- Published June 1, 2020
- Word count 775
Walk into any retail store, or browse online, and you may be surprised at the difference in price for a mattress, which can range anywhere from $300 to $3,000 or more.
Unfortunately, this price disparity can add unnecessary stress and confusion to the shopping process.
As a result, uninformed shoppers are at a greater risk of:
Settling for a cheap, low quality mattress that offers little comfort and will not last long, or
Being tricked into buying an overly pricey mattress, where the high cost if justified by features that are not really essential to a good night’s sleep
Of course, neither scenario is ideal. But how do you strike the right balance between great value for money and lasting satisfaction?
You need to know what factors influence the price of a mattress and decide which features are most important to you. This way, you’re more likely to make an informed choice and enjoy many years of blissful sleep.
Here’s how to walk away a winner the next time you buy a mattress.
- Know what goes into your mattress
By far, the best way to judge the quality of a mattress is to know what materials are inside, and how they benefit you – if at all.
However, due to the wide range of mattress types and the different terms used to describe their construction and materials, it can feel a bit overwhelming trying to make sense of what you’re really buying.
To help you make sense of the differences between a cheap and expensive mattress, here’s a breakdown of the materials used in each type of mattress, and how their quality can impact your sleep.
- Innerspring and pocket spring mattress
An innerspring mattress is made up of an interconnected steel coil support system. And a pocket spring mattress is comprised of individual springs placed in little pockets of cloth. Both coil systems are covered by various layers of padding and upholstery to provide comfort and support.
To keep costs down, a cheaper spring mattress may have low quality padding and foam. This can result in pain and discomfort, as the mattress is more prone to sagging, and the padding may not be durable enough to provide relief to key pressure points in the body – namely the hips, joints, and shoulders.
Furthermore, a cheaper spring mattress may have a lower coil count, which can result in greater discomfort and motion transfer.
- Memory foam
There are many key differences between cheap and expensive memory foam.
First off, cheap memory foam has a shorter lifespan. Cheaper models might last as little as 5 years, while a pricier one could last 10 years or more. In fact, when you split the cost down to year-by-year, the pricier model could save you money in the long run – as it won’t need to be replaced as often.
Secondly, cheap memory foam is softer and prone to sagging. While the softness is subjective, the sagging definitely is not. It will only leave you feeling sore and uncomfortable. Premium memory foam, on the other hand, is far denser and will maintain its shape for longer.
Finally, premium memory foam is often more eco and allergen-friendly. This is because they are low-VOC and contain toxic-free chemicals, which helps to reduce their carbon footprint and let sensitive sleepers breathe easy
- Natural and synthetic latex
Natural latex foam is made from a milky white liquid extracted from the Hevea-Brasillienis tree, also known as the rubber tree. The liquid latex is transformed into foam through a vulcanization process. There are a few variations to the process which enables the foam to be either: dense and firm, or soft and pillowy.
Synthetic latex is a petroleum based product crafted from man-made ingredients like Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SBR).
Although cheaper, synthetic latex is less resilient and elastic than the real thing. Some find synthetic latex to be less springy and more ‘dull’ feeling. It can also produce a more abrasive odour that many find unappealing.
Some companies offer ‘blended latex’ which combines both natural and synthetic latex into the one mattress. While these companies boast about combining the best of both worlds, the reality is, this type of latex mattress is still a cheaper and ultimately inferior alternative to the real thing.
- Do your research
Regardless of which type of mattress you choose, it’s important to do your research.
This way, when the time comes to shop online or visit a retail store, you’ll have all the info you need to make an informed choice. As a result, you’ll be more satisfied with your purchase and be rewarded with a consistently good night’s sleep.
Article provided courtesy of Sleep Republic - https://sleeprepublic.com.au/mattress/Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Classic Vs Vintage Modern Diamond Jewelry
- How a Simple Gold Chain Can Change Your Fashion Aesthetics?
- What is the Hand of Fatima?
- 4 Steps to Find a Reliable Jewelry Store Online
- Diamond Jewelry for Minimalists
- Which October birthstones are better, Tourmaline or Opal?
- Using a retail design agency to help you launch your store
- Tips to Buy Diamond Jewelry in 2021
- Wedding Jewelry for Brides in 2021
- What is Statement Jewelry?
- Why Is Emerald Cut Diamond Used in Engagement Rings and Eternity Bands?
- 5 Things to Consider Before Choosing a Jewelry Store
- Friendship Day: Union of Friends
- Must Have Guide To Buy Loose Diamonds
- 5 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Jewelry Gift in 2021
- The Best Wedding Cute Jewelry Gifts to Give in 2021
- Facts about Religious Pendants and Necklaces
- Cavitation RF Machines: How to Use And How to Buy Them
- The 'Smarts' on Smart Watches and the Advancements Made in the Last Decade
- What Is the Significance of Christian and Catholic Jewelry Cross Variants?
- What is the Significance of Personalized Initial Jewelry in 2021?
- 3 amazing tips you should know to protect summer jewelry
- How to choose the right gift for the right person
- Will sustainable gift hampers be the big food and drink hits this Lockdown Christmas?
- What is sustainable fashion?
- Your Guide on the Best Vape Pens and Pods
- Custom Window films And privacy Stained Window Films
- Phone Cover Guide - Comparing The Most Popular Types Of Phone Cases
- Does online shopping really make itself different?
- 6 Tips For When You Buy Coffee Beans