Do you sabotage your fitness resolutions every year? Here’s what to do instead
- Author Elin Kanchev
- Published June 23, 2020
- Word count 574
How to keep your focus and stay on track
Are you one of the millions of people who resolve to start working out on January 1? While you’re probably excited to get back into the gym after indulging in more than a few delicious holiday treats, it can also be difficult to get back into a workout routine after weeks or months away from the gym. Turn your New Year’s resolution into a goal you work towards all year long by following these tips to avoid injury and ease back into a gym routine:
Make new year fitness goals long-term.
One of the biggest ways to actually keep your New Year’s resolution in 2018 is to set specific long-term goals. For example, you might say “Right now, I can do 15 push-ups. In six months, I’m going to be able to do 30,” instead of simply saying “I’m going to work out more in 2018.” Once you reach your initial goal, set another. And then another. Setting specific future goals helps you ease back into working out and keeps your New Year’s resolution because you’ll continue moving forward.
See the big picture.
A lot of people make a New Year’s resolution to work out thinking they’ll see results overnight. But working out is a process, and it’s important to stay positive when you don’t see immediate results after just a few days back in the gym. When you get discouraged, take a deep breath and think about all you’ve achieved since you started working out again. Have you shaved a few seconds off your run time? Benched five extra pounds? It may not sound like much to you now, but those small victories add up to big gains in the long-term.
Take it slow (but not too slow).
One of the biggest mistakes most people make when easing back into working out is going too hard, too fast. If you’ve been out of the gym for a while, start with shorter workouts several times a week, and incorporate stretch sessions before and after each workout. On the other hand, don’t cheat yourself out of a challenge. It can be tempting to stay in your workout comfort zone. Instead, increase the duration and intensity of your workouts over time to ensure you stay healthy and strong.
Let go of stress and enjoy workouts.
It can be overwhelming to take in all the fitness advice you’re bombarded with everyday. Just let go of all the magazine workout tips, gym advice from friends, and exercise infomercials you’ve accumulated. As you ease back into working out, try to empty your mind, and instead take time to strengthen the bond between mind and body. One great way to do this is to meditate briefly before a workout session. When your mind and body are aligned, you’ll be more focused on your workout, and more likely to keep that New Year’s resolution all year long.
Work out with a personal trainer.
Consider investing in a personal trainer to stay motivated on your new year fitness journey. Working out with a personal trainer can help you get the most out of your fitness routine and give you guidance on the best exercises to help you meet your goals. Interested in learning about personal training? Contact us today to see how our trainers can help you meet your goals.
ELIN Personal Training Redefined®
300 Yoakum Pkwy
Alexandria, VA 22304
Article Source: shorturl.at/klmGSArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why Resistance Bands Are The Most Versatile Piece Of Gym Equipment For Lockdown?
- White Knuckling: A Dangerous Lifestyle
- Why Should One Need a Sports Massage?
- free attunement of reiki kundalini and highest cakras
- EXERCISE ANXIETY, IS THAT EVEN A THING |12 WAYS TO IDENTIFY IT AND FIX IT
- Gymnastics for the Joints: Basic Exercises
- Muscle Toning Exercises: The 7 Exercises that tone your whole body
- Two Days A Week Strength Training
- How to Understand the Physical Exercise
- How to get built to last a lifetime
- Breath and Body Work – A tool I use with some clients within my therapeutic work.
- Two Days a Week Strength Training
- How to squat
- Physio for Jaw Pain
- Beat the January blues
- Why I love the NordicTrack Studio Cycle s22i
- How to exercise your hip flexor
- 4 Effective Weight Loss Exercises
- The Massage With Extra Benefits – Hemp Oil Body Massages
- The Many Benefits of a Sports Massage
- Top 6 Benefits of Working With A Personal Trainer
- Vertigo and Dizziness
- The Benefits of Physiotherapy
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Get A Foam Roller
- Physiotherapy: For More than Just Sports Injuries
- Dry Needling vs Acupuncture
- Promise Of Genetic Testing For The Public
- Genetic Code for Diseases Slowly Being Cracked
- Few Effective Back Pain Relief Exercises