What is Coaching?
- Author Linda Cattelan
- Published July 28, 2020
- Word count 507
Coaching is the art of guiding individuals to identifying, crystallizing and then achieving goals and dreams. The Coach helps the individual make positive changes in order to improve their life or to accomplish desired outcomes easier and faster than might otherwise be possible on their own. The Coach provides support by asking powerful questions, structure and focus and by holding the client accountable to action. The client in turn is supported in determining and creating his/her ideal life.
The ICF (International Coaching Federation) defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
The Coaching process can be quite therapeutic, although it is not therapy. Both Coaching and Therapy are client-centered, aimed at improving the well-being of the individual through growth. To better understand the differences, let’s consider some of the characteristics of Coach vs Therapist:
Not licensed to deal with psychological issues
Assumes client is highly functional (naturally creative, resourceful and whole)
Roots in business and personal growth
Works to motivate to a higher level of functioning – focus is on evolving and manifesting potential
Focuses on present & future actions; goal orientation
Works for solutions to overcome barriers, learn new skills, & implement effective choices
Holds client accountable and “homework” between sessions common
Uses coaching skills
Licensed to practice and deal with psychological issues
Assumes individual needs/wants relief from specific symptoms
Roots in medicine, psychiatry and personal growth
Works with individual to achieve self-understanding and emotional healing
Focus on feelings and patterns derived from past events: past and present orientation
Works for internal resolution of pain and to let go of old patterns
Works mainly with internal issues – insight and problem oriented
Uses therapy techniques
It should also be noted, that the difference between some types of therapy and personal coaching are not always clear-cut. Many therapists are “coach-like” in their orientation and the two do share many similarities. Both professionals do focus on helping people make positive changes to accomplish their goals.
Why you should hire a coach…
Over the past several years, the Coaching industry has increased tremendously, and for good reason:
Coaching can assist you to more quickly achieve your goals
Coaching can help you build on your strengths and talents to accelerate your career
Coaching can help you move forward, make purposeful career choices, and enhance the quality of your life
Coaching can help you deepen learning, and tap into and optimize your potential
Coaching can assist in uncovering patterns, habits, and blind spots that limit you or hold you back
Coaching can support you in closing the gap between where you are now and where you want to be instead
No matter what you are looking to change or accomplish, a professional coach can assist you in gaining focus, clarity, getting perspective, and in supporting you to achieve your goals. Consider a coach if you wish to create and live your ideal life or you simply desire guidance and inspiration to accomplish your goals and dreams.
Linda is an executive and career acceleration coach who helps career professionals (high-achieving managers, executives and leaders) unlock their career and leadership potential to achieve clarity, heightened performance and focused action for greater fulfillment, confidence and career acceleration. You can find out more about Linda at www.lindacattelan.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Industrial and Decorative Uses Of Copper
- Good Soil Composition is the Key to Low-Maintenance Lawns
- Growing Healthy Tomatoes: Diseases and Fungi Prevention
- Why Get Your Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Why USD is a Safe Haven During the Crisis
- Finding the Best Fencing Contractors
- Home Safety: Priority #1 – Careful Who We Hire?
- How to Trim a Hedge Properly
- The Largest Trees in the UK
- Best Eco Tours in Goa - List of Trekking and Nature Activities
- 5 Places to Watch Weathering With You Online
- What If Everyone Participated on the Ownership Side of the US Economy?
- Nesting Birds and The Effects on Tree Work
- How to Disassemble Furniture When Moving House?
- Improve your drafting with a multi-purpose CAD platform
- 5 Simple and Successful Methods to Overcome Erectile Dysfunction
- Can SEO Benefit Every Business?
- How to learn easy English grammar with saifulsgrammar learning program
- Hard Drive Cloning Software - What It Is and Why You Need It
- The Best Gift on This Father’s Day
- Advantages of Having a Home-Based Job
- Skip The Drive And Buy Your Swishers Sweets Online
- Top 4 Benefits of Roof Cleaning
- Take This Crap Off Your Resume If You Want An Interview!
- Being a creative professional and a good sport
- Filming a video interview: How to be a good interviewee
- Spec Work: The setbacks and benefits
- The Keys to Smoother Credit Rolls
- What they don’t tell you about owning a creative small business.
- Year Round Lawn Care and Maintenance