Tales from the Online Marketing Crypt #9 : Why Cheap Websites Are More Expensive Than You Think
- Author Susan Friesen
- Published January 29, 2021
- Word count 1,333
Tales from the Online Marketing Crypt – Vol. 9
Your Website May Be Under-Performing Because It’s Underpaid
During one of my usual jaunts on Facebook, I came across a post where someone was making the argument to invest properly in a website, and they listed all the reasons to do so.
Heck, I could have written that post myself !
And as per usual, then came many responses that all pretty much said the same thing: “But what if I have no money?”
Ah yes, the money objection is a big one. And a valid one too! So valid that it’s something every parent has said to us when we were kids, right?
I remember one summer I desperately wanted to get a pair of those beautiful black riding boots, the kind you see on equestrian shows on TV.
Of course, I had no idea how much they cost, but I knew I had to have them so I could fit in with the “in” crowd in school. I mean, this was important stuff!
My Mom and I went to the local Co-op to find my precious boots and once my Mom saw the price tag, I got the sage wisdom that I’m sure we’ve all heard:
“Money doesn’t grow on trees.”
So, she bought a cheap pair of fake rubber boots. And sure enough, the black dye rubbed off soon after, showing just how cheap they were. They were completely useless in achieving my desired outcome of becoming a member of the esteemed “in” crowd at school.
As a result of hearing that age-old wisdom many times after the devastating boot debacle, I became quite miserly as an adult myself. I’m quite positive my kids have heard that same chant numerous times. (Sorry kids!)
It wasn’t until I married my first husband that I realized there was another way of looking at cheap.
One of our first major purchases was the new and exciting, albeit now extinct, VCR (that’s a Video Tape Recorder for you young’uns). I remember heading to the electronics department in our local Gosling’s store in downtown Abbotsford.
We were overwhelmed with all the choices. Different brands and varying price tags as well.
My then-husband educated me on value that day, and his words have never left me. He said it’s much less expensive to buy a higher-priced item of quality now than it is to have to replace it tomorrow.
Better quality lasts longer.
We went for the Hitachi model and it lasted years.
And the same principle applies when building your business website.
If you decide to go the cheap or DIY route, your business:
• Won’t get the sales and conversions you need in order to grow your business, because it won’t look good or function well
• Will appear amateurish to visitors, who won’t trust what you’re saying
• Will end up attracting clients who are seeking out cheap themselves, because you’re sending the message that your brand is cheap
As a result, you will quickly find that you need to invest even more than you would have if you’d chosen quality. I know this because we’ve had many clients come to us over the years regretting how much time, effort and money they wasted on a cheap website option before finding us.
We’ve then had to redo everything they paid peanuts for.
Here’s that common question again: But what happens if you don’t have the money?
I’m a firm believer in there always being a way if you want something badly enough.
Here are some ideas to consider:
• Reduce spending in other areas that are not absolutely necessary right now. For example, signing up for yet another course to teach you yet another 10-step process that probably won’t work.
• Find a job. There is nothing shameful about earning a living while working on building your business. Lots of people do it! Do what it takes to ensure you have money for both your personal and business bills.
• Seek out investors. Maybe you have an incredible idea that you just know would take off if only you had the money. Look for investors who will believe in your vision and provide the financing you need to succeed.
• Remember you are starting/running a business. Most businesses need initial capital to get started. Consider the money you spend on your website an investment in the future earnings of your business. Write up a business plan and take it to the bank to apply for a loan or line of credit.
These are just a few suggestions, and I’m sure I have a few money coaches reading this who can chime in with more! I hope I have inspired you to begin thinking outside the box and realize your business is so worth the investment of a properly built website.
If not, then I would say you’ve decided you don’t WANT to spend the money. Am I right? You have other priorities that matter more.
If you’re nodding, that’s OK. It’s your choice.
But know that if you choose the cheap and DIY route it will take you longer to reach your goals and you might never get the results you want.
And in case you were wondering, I never did get into that coveted “in” crown in school, despite my tireless efforts. Was it due to the cheap boots? Maybe not, but they sure didn’t help me either!
So I highly recommend you avoid losing valuable leads and sales by not having a professionally designed and built website. Having a cheap one instead really is costing you so much more than you may know.
Now here at eVision Media, we’re not cheap. But relatively speaking we’re not expensive either. Cheap means you get what you pay for, but you also don’t have to get the Lamborghini version of a site either. Just one that represents your brand to the right target audience, with the right marketing message.
That is what will convert your visitors into brand ambassadors.
Give me a call or contact me online to find out how we can transform your non-performing website into one that will bring you those valuable leads and sales.
To your business success,
P.S. If you liked what you read (and heard) here, you will want to sign up for our newsletter where you'll get notified every week of our blog posts, announcements and business-building strategies. Click here to also receive our free website guide: www.UltimateWebsiteGuide.ca
Video Tea Time Tip: Shopping for an SEO or web design company based on the lowest possible price? Discover the true costs of “cheap,” “low-cost” and “inexpensive” in business. Watch: How Much is Cheap SEO & Website Design Really Costing You? On our website.
Book: Think and Grow Rich! The Original Version, Restored and Revised™.
Article: What you need to have in place first before finding a web developer or web development agency for website design and build estimates for your business. Read: 9 Things You Must Be Clear On Before Hiring a Web Developer. On our website.
Video Tip: Watch for an insider’s perspective on what a web developer needs to know in order to create a professional, appealing and effective business website: How to Hire the Right Web Developer for Your Business. On our website.
Article: WordPress’s Cheap and Convenient Vs Loss of Leads and Sales: Here’s the biggest reason why you’re not getting valuable website leads and sales: Why Your ‘Just Another WordPress Site’ Could be Costing Valuable Sales.
Article: Entrepreneurs think that as long as they can build a website, they should except they don’t know what they don’t know. This article explains: Why Entrepreneurs Shouldn’t Build Their Own Websites . On our website.
Financial Resource: Canada Small Business Financing Program.
Susan Friesen, founder of the award-winning web development and digital marketing firm eVision Media, is a Web Specialist, Business & Marketing Consultant, and Social Media Advisor. She works with entrepreneurs who struggle with having the lack of knowledge, skill and support needed to create their online business presence.
Visit www.ultimatewebsiteguide.ca and download your FREE "Ultimate Guide to Improving Your Website's Profitability - 10 Critical Questions You Must Ask to Get Maximum Results".Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- ChatGPT on Marketing: The first-ever published extensive interview with a machine on the subject.
- 10 Quick Tips For Creating Engaging YouTube Videos In Less Than One Minute
- Digital Marketing for Industrial Companies
- What Do You Want?
- Social Media Ads for Small Business
- The Impact of Strategic and Effective Communication To Non Profit organization
- SEO Services In India Are A Combination Of Quality And Expertise
- Get more Traffic and quality leads with Industry-Specific SEO
- Unlocking the Potential of Online Digital Marketing: Examples & Strategies
- 5 Reasons Your Small Business Needs Professional Photography
- Why social media engagement beats follower count
- What is in a Cannabis Vape Cartridge?
- How To Choose The Best All-in-One Design Software For Your Business
- Forex Trading 101: How to Get Started in Forex and Make Money
- How to Grow Your Business With Digital Marketing
- How Instagram Works If You're New To The Platform
- The 3 Golden Rules Every Marketer Should Follow To Succeed
- StoryBrand: Brand Message Guide To Reach Your Customers
- Your Online Business Fundamentals
- How To Make Money On YouTube: The Easy Way!
- How to Monetize a Website
- Black Friday Marketing and Cyber Monday Marketing Campaign Tips for Businesses
- 7 Strategies to Acquire New Patient Leads
- How Building Your Personal Brand Can Help You Escape from the Corporate World
- This is How to Avoid Falling a Fool whose Money are Soon parted by Con Artist in the guise of Online marketing Gooroos
- How Google Algorithm Updates Impact Your SEO
- 6 Online Social Media Jobs That Pay Up to $50 Per Hour (No Experience Required)
- Should I use a website agency or freelance web developer?
- 4 Proven Ways to Grow Your Small Business Online For Free
- Reasons Why Online Advertising Agencies are relevant in 2022