Places You Need To Visit In Scotland That You Have Probably Never Heard Of
- Author Billie Mc
- Published April 6, 2021
- Word count 612
When planning a trip to Scotland you want to make sure you see all the top attractions listed on TripAdvisor or in your guide book. After all, if it is a once in a lifetime trip you want to ensure you see all the best places and attractions. Maybe you have a friend that has been before and insists that you must visit Edinburgh Castle and then climb Ben Nevis. When planning a trip, they are all great ways to start.
However, at The Hairy Coo in Edinburgh, we love Scotland so much that we want to introduce you to some less commonly known places that are just as great to visit. We believe so strongly that they are worth visiting that we have included them in our award-winning Scotland Tours.
Top 5 must-see places in Scotland that are not on your radar:
- Stirling Castle
We include Stirling Castle in some of our tours as it is simply amazing and one of the largest castles in Scotland. It sits proudly on a large crag or rock above Stirling and offers amazing views from the ramparts. The interior and history of this castle are just as fascinating and impressive as the views from outside. Whether your visit this castle for a few hours during one of our tours or take a leisurely day trip to Stirling we think you will love it.
- The Kelpies
A kelpie or water kelpie is a creature from Scottish folklore that is usually described as a horse-like creature. Since 2014, you can view 2 stunning 30-metre-high kelpie sculptures near Falkirk. They watch over the gateway to the eastern entrance of the Forth and Clyde canal. Whether you see them from a distance or stand directly underneath them, visit them during the day or lit up at night they are always worth a visit.
- Clava Cairns
In Scotland, ‘cairn’ is a word to describe a stack of stones. A cairn can range from just a small memorial marker to a large ancient building.
Clava Cairns is an ancient Bronze Age sacred site about 4000 years old which was used as a cemetery. The sites contain a range of prehistoric burial monuments and the remains of a medieval chapel. A short visit here gives visitors a chance to learn a little about early Scottish civilisation. The Hairy Coo's 2, 3 and 5-day tours of Scotland include a trip to the Clava Cairns.
- The Hermitage
Beautiful waterfalls and some of the tallest trees in Britain reside here. The Hermitage is located near Dunkeld about 15 miles north of Perth. It is definitely one for nature lovers!
You can visit the folly of Ossian’s Hall and safely watch over the waterfalls. You may even see salmon leaping in the Autumn or spy a red squirrel scampering about the trees.
- Corrieshalloch Gorge National Nature Reserve
We visit the stunning Corrishalloch Gorge on our 5-day tour of Scotland. It is located in the North of Scotland about 20km south of Ullapool. The River Droma rushes through the 1-mile long deep gorge. Its name is Gaelic for 'ugly hollow', however, we don't know who named it because it is truly beautiful and well worth a visit. You can take a short walk to a Victorian suspension bridge where you can gaze down over a series of crashing waterfalls.
The Hairy Coo tours include many more fascinating and scenic places as we always want everyone who chooses a Hairy Coo tour to experience the best of Scotland. So before you create your Scotland trip itinerary, remember to find time to visit some of the lesser-known places. The best way to do that is to join a tour taken by a Scotland expert.
There are no posted comments.
- Why celebrate Christmas in Armenia
- The Opening of Grand Egyptian Museum
- Are the wildebeest residents of Serengeti Tanzania OR Maasai Mara Kenya?
- Why Visit Uganda
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Make Nam Du Islands Your Next Tourist Destination
- Best 2020 Nightlife Experiences in Da Nang
- Places You Must Visit While on Vacation in Vietnam
- What to see in Sochi, the city of Winter Olympics 2014?
- Best Vung Tao Island Restaurants in 2020
- Chick Trips on a MY BVI Charter
- Visiting Serengeti on a Budget Safari in Tanzania
- Top 5 Safari Destinations Starting from Dar es salaam
- Top 10 reasons to travel in the Greek islands
- Mardi Himal Trek - Wonderful Short Trek in Annapurna
- Top 3 Destinations in US to Travel this Summer
- Where Can I Find the Best Valued Vacation Home Rental?
- Here’s what you should know When Shipping a Car to the Caribbean
- How to Make Your Connecting Flights Smoother?
- Reasons to Pick Indian Destinations for your Honeymoon
- Travel From New York To Las Vegas: Book Flights From JFK to LAS
- Find the Best Florida Vacation Rentals
- Qualified Travel Specialists for Your Trip
- Choose Best Trekking /Tour In Nepal And Get Thrilling Experience
- Annapurna Base Camp
- Top 6 family experiences in Japan
- Perfect hotels to stay in Wembley to reduce your stress of travelling in the long motorways of UK
- How constant currency fluctuation affects your tour plans
- Ideal check-list for your trip to UK
- RV Vacation Adventure