POSITIVE IMPACT OF AVIATION ON MANKIND (UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES) - UAVs
- Author Agomuoh Maduabuchi Ihebunachi
- Published June 17, 2022
- Word count 999
Aviation is the activities surrounding mechanical flight and the aircraft industry.
The revolution of Aviation in the life of mankind starting from the earliest forms of aviation such as kites flying in China, which is thought to be the earliest form of man-made flight dates back to several hundred years ago, the invention of the hydrogen balloon in the 18th Century as a result of the discovery of hydrogen gas amplified the great work done by the Montgolfier brothers who rediscovered the hot-air balloon and began manned flights. Now the invention of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles has indeed brought a huge development in the society.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
What are UAVs? UAVs stand for the abbreviation Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. They are Aircrafts that do not require the presence of a Pilot on board before they can fly.
Over the years the use of UAVs has been for military purpose. Early use was recorded in the war fight that occurred in July 1849 which served as a balloon carrier, also was recorded the first pilotless aircraft made during the World War 1 by the British invented by a man called Archibald Montgomery Low and was first tested in March 1917 .It was made to attack the Zeppelins.
The discovery of this kind of pilotless aircraft got many Commercial, Agricultural and Individuals in shock and thought about it that it will be of great advantage to them if they could apply them to do major tasks which will make their work less stressful and save them cost, going to pilot schools or employing pilots of manned aerial vehicles. This is why we can see them around in our society today and not just during the time of war.
UAVs include both autonomous (capable of operating without human input) Drones and Remotely Piloted Vehicles (RPVs).
There is no exact standard when it comes to classification of UAVs but we can give them general classification based on their configuration. They are divided into Fixed-Wings to allow fast speed and long endurance, Rotary-Wing in which is characterized to having a rotor to allow vertical take-off and landing (VTOL), Flapping-Wing which is basically designed to allow perching and landing on small surfaces and Hybrids of fixed- and rotary-wing configurations which is based on the fixed-wing and rotor structures.
We can also classify them according to their size. we have the very small UAVs (Micro or Nano class) which have their dimensions ranging from the size of a large insect to 30-50 cm long. The insect-like UAVs are extremely small in size and have very light weight. Small UAVs class (which are also called sometimes Mini-UAVs) apply to UAVs that have at least one dimension greater than 50 cm and no larger than 2 meters. Medium UAVs class - These apply to UAVs that are too heavy to be carried by one person but are still smaller than a light aircraft. They usually have a wingspan of about 5-10 m and can carry payloads of 100 to 200 kg. Large UAVs class are mainly for combat operations by the military.
We can also classify them based on their Range and Endurance. We have
Close Range UAVs - These classes include UAVs that have a range of 50 km and endurance time of 1 to 6 hours. Short range UAVs - These classes include UAVs that have a range of 150 km or longer and endurance time of 8 to 12 hours. Mid-range Class UAVs include UAVs that have super high speed and a working radius of 650 km, they typically have a similar flight time as short-range UAVs. The endurance class include UAVs that have an endurance of 36 hours and a working radius of 300 km. This class of UAVs can operate at altitudes of 30,000 feet.
Every Country has its own UAVs which are made according to their choice of design. For example, we have in U.S.A, a UAVs called RQ-11B Raven, in Russia we have a drone called ТБ-29В,In Israel we a UAVs called Mosquito, in China we have cargo drone AT200.
Positive impact to present day society
Unmanned Aerials Vehicles (UAVs) are used nowadays in real-world applications such as military operations, disaster relief, and exploration of hazardous remote areas. We equip UAVs with designed camera for taking photographs, and for recreational purposes to capture under water and mountains.
We use them for videography to film wildlife keeping man out of danger of becoming a prey to wild animals. Currently UAVs are being used for the surveillance of environmental factors related to the transmission of infectious diseases.
In medical application, It can be implemented for the use of sanitization, patient identification through capturing their faces in epidemical places. They have also being used for delivering drugs, foods and life-saving supplies to patients or isolated persons in extreme conditions. Farmers use drones to spray pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals. UAVs equipped with scientific equipment are used to observe storms and other natural disasters. In military applications, UAVs have been used widely in attack and combat, also law enforcement agencies use UAVs to fight Crime. A camera-equipped UAVs is used to map an area. Used by real estate developers to take photos and videos to advertise their building projects and also used to survey the landscape.
UAVs are indeed very important in the society because it saves us a lot of stress and makes our world a better place for us to live generally, but more UAVs should be created all over the world and the usage should be applied also, in the educational sector, such that schools and universities, add a subject which teaches about the need of UAVs in our present society and add sports like drone racing to their Sporting activities.
Furthermore, post office can use UAVs to send mails or deliver items to their customers, to enhance fast delivery. Also, more drones should be placed on roads to control traffic and capture cars which fail to keep traffic rules, making it easier for law enforcement agencies to detect the violators.
I am a Christian and Indigene of Imo State Nigeria, I am an undergraduate student in the Department of Aircraft Repairs and Maintenance in Don State University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia. My passion and love to teach younger students has made me strive to learn more, aspiring to become a very successful person in the society.
firstname.lastname@example.orgArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Classic Hunting Rifles Every Hunter Should Own
- THE RATIONAL MORAL STATUS OF NON-HUMAN NATURAL PHENOMENON: AN ETHICS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
- Benefits Of Camping: How Camping Helps Our Environment: (Part 2: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle...Camp Style)
- Benefits Of Camping: How Camping Helps Our Environment (Part 1: Keeping Nature Natural)
- Why is Food Depackaged and How is it Done??
- Is the multiverse real?
- Climate Change and Its Effect on Health in India
- Disposing of Oil
- AN OVERVIEW OF SUSTAINABILITY CHALLENGES OF NIGERIA IN RECENT TIMES
- Do the Government’s climate objectives really matter? Yes! But not to them.
- What to Know Before You Visit a CBD Dispensary for the First Time
- 5 companies with environmental responsibility
- Coronavirus- A new Normal
- Transitional Justice Demands Reparations for Louisiana Residents of Cancer Alley
- 5 Simple Ways To Go Green At Home
- How Greenhouse Gases Affect the atmosphere and Reversing Climate Change
- 6 Simple & Easy Ways To Help The Environment: At Home & At Work
- Are You Using The Best Soil For Bonsai?
- Tiboo launches bamboo-based paper products website
- Everything You Need To Know About Wind Turbine Technicians in the United States
- Climate change, what we can do to reduce effects of global warming
- Water Removal Solutions for Building Sites
- Five Facts About Renewable Energy That You Need To Know
- Not just cheap energy – why should you consider installing solar panels?
- What are the benefits of camping?
- 10 Most Practiced Economic Activities in Vietnam
- 9 Types of Economic Industries Found in Vietnam
- 5 Mineral Resources Found in Vietnam
- Climate change: It is happening right here and right now.