Plant. Prune. Preserve.
- Author Alexandra Lea
- Published June 30, 2022
- Word count 481
Did you know that in just one growing season, you can preserve enough herbs to last years? A little research so you can adequately care for them, a dehydrator, and some glass jars for storing. That’s it, and honestly, if you don’t already have a dehydrator and are not sure you want to make that investment, you can still preserve all of your herbs. It will just take a bit longer. I started with the cheapest dehydrator I could find, and it wasn’t long before I knew a bigger one would be well worth the investment in the long run.
If you haven’t grown herbs in the past, I recommend starting with just one or two. Then, choose what you use the most when in the kitchen. I began with basil. One thing I cannot stress enough is to do your research. I tried winging it the first year, and while that wasn’t a total fail, I wouldn’t call it a win either. I think I preserved enough basil for a couple of homemade pizzas and a jar or two of pasta sauce, so not very much. The research process took me under an hour and was very thorough. So, trust me when I say it’s worth it. I harvested an entire pint of freshly dried basil in just one growing season with one plant. This amount will last us years, and we make a lot of homemade pizzas and sauces.
When you have answers to the following questions, that’s when you’re ready to begin. First, insert your herb of choice in place of my basil.
On planting and harvesting:
-Where does basil grow best?
-How much water does basil need?
-How to know when to begin harvesting basil?
-Where do I cut the basil when harvesting?
-Do I wash basil?
-How do I save seeds from my Basil plant?
If using a dehydrator:
-How should basil be placed on drying racks?
-What temperature should basil be dried?
-At this temperature, how long should basil be dried?
If using the hang dry method:
-How much basil should be in a bunch?
-Where should I hang the basil?
-How often should I check the basil?
-How to know when the basil is wholly dried?
-Do I Leave the dried basil leaves whole or grind them small?
-What is the best way to store dried basil?
-How long will my dried basil last?
-How to know if my basil is still good
-How to use my freshly dried basil?
You’re now all set to start preserving your fresh herbs. Before you know it, you’ll have an entire herb cabinet full that you can be proud of for all your hard work while saving some money. I would love to hear about your experiences and which herbs you have grown.
My name is Alexandra Lea. I recently started a blog on living a more self-sufficient lifestyle as a mom of two teenagers. Writing has always been a passion of mine as a hobby and now is becoming my career. I look forward to sharing my stories and experiences with you. Questions and feedback are always welcomed and encouraged.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Day of Serenity and Joy: My Encounter with the Hanging Egg Chair
- GROWING AND NURTURING THE DURIAN FRUIT TREE
- WHAT IS UHMW? UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene)
- The Art of Container Gardening: Growing Plants in Small Spaces
- garden lawn edging and mulch paint
- Medical Gardening
- 7 Tricks and Tips for Starting Your Own Backyard Garden
- Bring the Tropics to Your Home: A Guide to Calathea Plants
- The future of reforestation efforts: trends and strategies
- What do you want to build in your backyard?
- The Importance of Tree Service
- Expert Advice For Tree Service
- How To Get Rid of Gypsy Moth Caterpillars
- ”She Shed” Design Ideas for the Modern Woman
- How to Use an Electric Paint Sprayer?
- Identifying a dangerous tree in your garden
- The Best Options For Front Yard Trees
- Advantages of Gardening for Seniors
- New biotechnologies in crop production
- LED Grow Lights Is Helpful For Your Plants?
- A Beautiful Garden Is Just A Few Helpful Tips Away!
- Build A Beautiful Organic Garden With These Ideas
- The Importance of Soil Testing
- 5 Tips For Planting Roses
- Without trees, we all die. 10 reasons to love your trees!
- How to Start a Lawn from Seed
- Best Flowerbed Weed Control Service Provider in Tallahassee
- The best shrubs for hedges
- Will Power Washing Kill Plants?