What isa glaucoma
- Author Craig Payne
- Published August 27, 2022
- Word count 385
Glaucoma is a common disease of the eyes, which can cause serious damage if it is not diagnosed early. It is a condition in which the normal intra-ocular pressure in the eye is higher. Normally the pressure in the eye is 16 to 20 mm of Hg and if it gets higher than 20 then a glaucoma is suspected. Most cases are usually detected very late and by the time it is diagnosed the increased pressure would have done a lot of damage to the eye. The reason for this late detection of a glaucoma is that it has very few symptoms in the early stages. There are not many problems in the eyes early except for the gradual deterioration of vision. The prevalence of glaucoma in the general population is considered to be around 12-13%. There are three main types of glaucoma: open angle glaucoma, closed angle glaucoma and a congenital glaucoma.
The open angle glaucoma is by far the most common type of glaucoma and it has got least obvious symptoms. It is seen both in women and men in almost equal proportions, usually in the age group of 60-70 years. The primary symptoms experienced by the patient are a blurring of vision, difficulty in doing the near work like reading and writing as well as the need to change the vision glasses frequently and changes in the field of vision. This type of glaucoma would usually damage one eye first and the progress to the other eye also being affected. The delay in diagnosis is also partially due to the central area of vision is preserved until the later stages of the condition. The exact reasons for the increase of the eye pressure that causes the glaucoma are not known, but it is thought that there is some sort of blockage at the site where the aqueous liquid is absorbed to the blood in the eye. To treat an open eye glaucoma, there are many drugs which are used in the management but mainly timolol, pilocarpine, epirine are used. The disadvantage of using these drugs are that they have to be used lifelong. More often than not, it is advised to get the surgery done, which ensures the steady maintenance of the eye pressure. Recently laser trabeculoplasty have been giving good results in many patients.
For the latest research on glaucoma, see:https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Colic Relief for Infants: Expert Parenting Tips from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Combating Childhood Obesity in India: Strategies and Success Stories from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Understanding the Importance of Early Childhood Nutrition: Insights from KinderCure
- Diaper Rash: Prevention, Treatment, and When to See a Doctor
- Revolutionizing Healthcare: The Personalized Power of Precision Medicine
- How Dentists Are Using Virtual Reality To Ease Dental Anxiety
- How to Use Careprost to Enhance Eyelash and Eyebrow
- 10 Benefits of a Folding Mobility Scooter
- Unlocking the Potential: A Guide on Utilizing Bulk HHC Distillate
- Bio-Resonance and Children's Health
- Ibuprofen: A Quick and Effective Solution for Lower Back Pain Relief
- THE NEUROSCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF DECISION MAKING: Well-Being in Patients with Anxiety Disorder and Depression
- Urgent Primary Care: Your Lifeline in Critical Moments
- 10 Great Reasons To Try Chinese Medicine Acupuncture for Fertility
- The Vital Role of Audience Understanding in Healthcare Marketing
- Cataracts: Clouding of Vision
- How to get a medical marijuana card online in Ohio
- Why live a Holistic Lifestyle?
- IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS AND TESTING IN REPRODUCTIVE FAILURE (IVF trials and miscarriages)
- The Role of NK Cell Activation in unexplained Infertility, Miscarriages, and Failed In Vitro Fertilization
- Reproductive Coercion Has Impacted 50% Of Women Age 18-44, Suggests New Poll
- Panadol the ultimate pain relief
- Advancing Cardiac Care: The Role of EKG in Diagnosing Heart Conditions
- Eyelashes Strengthening After Extension Using Careprost
- Understanding the Importance of Preventative Care for Adults and Seniors.
- “Delivering a mother with footling breech baby in an ambulance
- Unleash Your Maximum Potential with Aizen Power Male Enhancement Pills
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Is Modafinil really a Smart Medicine
- Take Charge of Your Health: A Guide to Preventing Diabetes