Avoid Getting Your Cyber Insurance Payout Declined
Computers & Technology → Technology
- Author Miguel Ribeiro
- Published November 18, 2022
- Word count 465
Cyber insurance policies have existed since the early 2000s. Businesses going online wanted safeguards against risks associated with evolving cybersecurity threats. Having a cyber insurance policy is just a starting point, though, and your business also needs to understand the insurer’s expectations of you. Otherwise, you might find your claim gets denied.
As with most professional liability policies, your cyber insurance may have exclusions, including:
fines and penalties
Cyber insurers also may not pay out if they find “a failure to maintain.” This might also be “failure to follow” certain standards of care. It’s the online version of negligence. But what does it really mean?
Standard of care expectations
Insurance companies want proof that your business takes proper precautions to prevent cyberattacks. If you can’t show you’ve implemented strong security measures, you run the risk of a denied claim.
Your insurance doesn’t want to pay out. So, they’re going to require you to put protection in place. This can be internal or via a third-service provider (such as a managed service provider (MSP)).
Your security approach must be comprehensive. It’s best to map out all your technology so that you can identify every endpoint that needs protection. Relying on antivirus software, for instance, is unlikely to satisfy your insurance provider. Add active threat detection and response tools to your arsenal, too.
You’ll also need to show that you’re securing your supply chain. A breach exposing 40 million debit and credit cards started at a retailer's HVAC vendor. Target estimated the breach cost $202 million. This was in 2013, but attack type remains a real threat due to digital interconnectedness.
Insurers also want to see evidence of effective training for your employees, because humans are the weak link. Your staff may not mean to do wrong, but they are the ones with weak passwords, or misplaced devices, and who may be downloading malware.
Expect insurers to also want you to have:
encryption to secure data
multi-factor authentication to make unauthorized access more difficult
virtual private networks (VPNs) to secure connections between computers and the internet
regular data backup
company policies and processes to respond to cybersecurity incidents
Cyber insurance evolves, too
As the cyber environment is always evolving, insurers are regularly adapting. They may have quoted coverage for a particular risk but then changed their policies to decline that risk a year later. It’s one more thing to keep abreast of while also working to secure systems against cybercrime.
Have questions about your cyber insurance policy? An MSP can review your security policy and ensure you’re doing everything to maintain coverage. Our experts can also run regular audits and provide proof of your efforts. Contact us today at 416-900-6852
There’s a better way to run your business with secure reliable IT. No costly or complicated solutions. Simplified award-winning managed IT services and 24/7 cybersecurity threat protection for small-mid size businesses. Learn more at https://www.vbsitservices.comArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of Integrating WebChat Into Modern Web Apps
- Cryptocurrency success story
- The Kosher Smartphone: Your Ultimate Guide to a Tech-Savvy Jewish Life
- Game On: The Power of Gamification in STEM Education
- Why iOS App Development Services Are Essential for Your Business
- Watch Out for the Challenges in Mobile Application Development
- Streamline Your Disk Partition Management and Tasks with BootIt Collection
- DJI Mini 2 Camera Specs
- DJI Mini 2 Drone - Features and Benefits
- Getting Started with Divi - A Step-by-Step Guide to Installing and Activating the Theme
- Why a Proximity Alert System can mitigate risk and keep your workers safer
- Revolutionizing the Future: AI and ML Unleashing Limitless Possibilities
- Powerful Secrets You Must Know About Chat GPT
- In 2023, it’s time to get your CCSP certification
- 5 Reasons Why Web Development is Important
- PDA SCanners
- Top 3 Best Cloud Platforms for your Business Startup 2022- 2023
- Benefits of Online Backup
- 6 valuable tips for using an international SIM card in Ireland
- BEST WEB DEVELOPMENT COMPANIES IN DUBAI
- Business Security Systems to Intercept Crimes in Ontario
- Four Ways Artificial Intelligence will Transform the Future of Project Management
- Drones For Me
- Top 9 Laravel Development Tools Developers Must Use in 2022
- How Do Smart Watch Measure Blood Pressure
- Data Collection and Migration with MDACA Data Flow
- One measurable approach for sizing technical capability from business objectives.
- PESTLE Analysis of AT&T and its Subsidiaries
- Geospatial Analytics: Basics of Geospatial Data