Is a Plant-Based Diet Good or Bad News for Your Oral Health?
- Author Eric Barajas
- Published November 28, 2022
- Word count 455
Whether it’s due to moral reasons, food intolerances, or simply taste, you might find yourself interested in adopting a plant-based diet. In fact, the National Library of Medicine found that making this switch can lower body weight, decrease your risk of cancer, and reduce your risk of death from ischemic heart disease. So, it’s not surprising that about 10% of Americans over the age of 18 are vegan or vegetarian! While it’s an obvious win for your overall health, many patients are curious if it’s good news for their oral health as well. To learn the answer, keep reading!
How Going Plant-Based Benefits Your Oral Health
The good news is that adopting a plant-based diet benefits your oral health too! There are a few reasons for this. To begin, this often means that your plate gets filled with fiber and healthy fats as well as essential vitamins and minerals. All of these can go a long way in keeping your teeth and gums healthy from the inside-out. Secondly, the improvements to your overall health can boost your immune system, helping your body fight off gum disease and other infections in your mouth.
A Few Important Things to Keep in Mind
As with any diet, there are a few things you should be mindful about when it comes to your oral health. For example, patients who choose keto often end up with something called “keto breath,” which is important to be aware of ahead of time. In the case of vegan/vegetarian diets, patients can end up low in Iron and Vitamin B12 if they aren’t careful. It’s also important to be intentional with your meals instead of loading your plate with added starches and sugars. For these reasons, it’s best to talk to your primary care physician or dietician first.
5 Oral Health Best Practices That Will Help Keep Your Smile Healthy
Filling your plate with vitamin-rich foods and keeping your consumption of sugar to a minimum can go a long way when it comes to preventing tooth decay and gum disease. To keep your smile in tip-top shape, you should also:
• Visit your dentist every six months for a dental checkup and cleaning
• Brush for a full two minutes each morning and evening
• Floss and rinse with mouthwash daily
• Quit unhealthy dental habits, like smoking, chewing on ice, and biting your nails
• Drink plenty of water throughout the day
Ultimately, adopting a plant-based lifestyle comes with several noteworthy benefits. Of course, it’s still a good idea to talk to your primary care provider and dentist before moving forward. That way, they can help you navigate the transition, keeping your oral and overall health in good condition along the way.
There are no posted comments.
- ProDentim: A Revolution in Oral Health?
- Cordyceps Gummies: Unlock Nature's Secret to Vitality
- Boost Your Confidence with Proven Male Enhancement Solutions
- Spices: From Ancient Treasures to Modern Wellness
- 12 Wonderful Advantages Of Eating Watermelon Seeds For Your Health
- The Importance of a Healthy Diet for Well-Being
- Can Vitamin B12 Help with Anxiety? A Comprehensive Exploration of this Essential Nutrient
- "Ilaria Lean Belly Juice: Embarking on a Wholesome Wellness Journey" ?
- The Keto Craze: Dive into Delicious Fat-Burning Magic!
- Sytropin HGH Spray: Ingredients, Benefits, and Possible Side Effects
- Unveiling the Power of The Best Supplements Online for Weight Loss
- Top 5 Nutritional Supplements for Accelerating Injury Healing
- Liv Pure Review: The Journey from Skepticism to Delight
- Provillus Hair Supplement For Women: Say Goodbye to Dry, Damaged, and Thinning Hair
- Promoting Men's Prostate Health with Prostacet Supplement
- The Compulsory Need to Monitor and Control Blood Sugar for Optimal Health
- Is feeling old getting old?
- Benefits of Taking Fish Oil
- The NAD+ Miracle: NMN's Breakthrough in Slowing Down Aging at 35+
- Fuel Your Workouts Naturally: Discover the Power of Stimulant-Free Pre-Workout
- The Ultimate Fitness Hack: Hit Your Goals Faster with Whey Protein Isolate
- Advice On Making Your Hair Your Crowning Glory!
- Natural HGH: The Secret Weapon of Elite Athletes and Bodybuilders Revealed
- Fortify Your Body: Embracing Éternel, the Ultimate Antioxidant Medicine
- The Comprehensive Guide to Sonic Electric Toothbrushes
- Organic Coffee vs. Regular Coffee: Does it Matter?
- Cabbage Juice Benefits for Optimal Health
- Embrace Calmness with Deep Relief CBD: A Product Review
- 5 Big Benefits of Juicing For Health - And The Science Behind It
- Unveiling the Benefits of Compression Socks: A Lifesaver for Varicose Veins, Edema, Circulatory Issues, and Neuropathy.