How is osteoarthritis of the big toe joint treated?
- Author Craig Payne
- Published April 23, 2023
- Word count 551
Discomfort in the big toe or hallux joint of the feet are commonly because of arthritis. This often is recognized as hallux rigidus. There are many different conditions of the big toe joint that would cause pain, with gout pain being another well-known one. Sometimes the hallux joint is totally rigid as well as other occasions it's not rigid, it simply has a lower range of flexibility that's less than the normal. The most common cause of a hallux rigidus is osteoarthritis in the great toe joint. This particular osteoarthritis does come because of years of wear and tear on the big toe joint due to a alignment issue with the way the joint will not move the actual way it should. Another reason for the osteo arthritis may be a one off (or possibly a few) injury to the joint which does certain damage to the hallux joint and trigger the osteoarthritis to occur. Generally, the pain from this begins as a modest discomfort, sometimes with an periodic sharp shooting pain. After some time, this gradually becomes worse and might become fairly painful. It will also change the way in which people walk.
The therapies of hallux rigidus are relatively reduced as there is no solution for osteo arthritis. The first method is handling of the pain sensation and this may involve injections in to the hallux joint as well as the using of pain prescription drugs. This is often going to almost certainly work well in the short term but is not going to fix the condition. Shoes that are more rigid or have a rocker underneath the fotwear are effective at limiting the movement in this great toe or hallux joint, but still provide for near to regular walking. You can also get a carbon fibre insole which can be placed in the shoes to ensure they are rigid to ensure that whenever walking the great toe joint doesn't move. Foot supports will also be often used and may often have a rocker or another design feature that ends underneath the big toe or hallux joint to also help reduce motion in the joint. You can also find other kinds of pads you can use and strapping of the big toe joint that can also be employed to limit movement with the joint.
Surgical treatment is another choice which could be thought about with regard to hallux rigidus. There are several different techniques that a surgeon might take. One is to just fuse the joint. This will certainly stop the pain and definitely will affect the way you walk around somewhat. It's still an excellent choice. Yet another surgical technique is to get rid of some bone from around the joint to permit it to move a bit more easily. The third operative choice is to replace the big toe joint using an artificial one or put a spacer in the hallux joint so the osteoarthritis on the joint areas is removed and the two joints surfaces move on that spacer. Selecting which of the options is a thing that the operating surgeon is going to have to make a decision depending upon how much destruction may be done to the joint and how workable the bone around the joint is and just how deep the osteoarthritis goes.
There are no posted comments.
- Bio-Resonance and Children's Health
- Ibuprofen: A Quick and Effective Solution for Lower Back Pain Relief
- THE NEUROSCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF DECISION MAKING: Well-Being in Patients with Anxiety Disorder and Depression
- Urgent Primary Care: Your Lifeline in Critical Moments
- 10 Great Reasons To Try Chinese Medicine Acupuncture for Fertility
- The Vital Role of Audience Understanding in Healthcare Marketing
- Cataracts: Clouding of Vision
- How to get a medical marijuana card online in Ohio
- Why live a Holistic Lifestyle?
- IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS AND TESTING IN REPRODUCTIVE FAILURE (IVF trials and miscarriages)
- The Role of NK Cell Activation in unexplained Infertility, Miscarriages, and Failed In Vitro Fertilization
- Reproductive Coercion Has Impacted 50% Of Women Age 18-44, Suggests New Poll
- Panadol the ultimate pain relief
- Advancing Cardiac Care: The Role of EKG in Diagnosing Heart Conditions
- Eyelashes Strengthening After Extension Using Careprost
- Understanding the Importance of Preventative Care for Adults and Seniors.
- “Delivering a mother with footling breech baby in an ambulance
- Unleash Your Maximum Potential with Aizen Power Male Enhancement Pills
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Is Modafinil really a Smart Medicine
- Take Charge of Your Health: A Guide to Preventing Diabetes
- HOME DOCTOR: PRACTICAL MEDICINE FOR EVERY HOUSEHOLD
- Buy ativan Online Overnight Delivery
- Medical Abortion Process and Controversies Around It
- The Healing Power of Large Scale Wall Decorations in Medical Institutions
- The potential benefits of psychedelic mushrooms for mental health treatment.
- When to Step in: Signs That Aging Parents Need Help
- Do you need arch supports?
- Preoperative Screening in Surgery