Eliminating Menopausal Weight Gain
- Author Linda Tremer
- Published September 24, 2008
- Word count 535
About 70 percent of women gain weight throughout their menopausal years. I gained weight and found it very hard to lose. Our metabolisms slow down and the weight creeps up and surprises us.
Research has shown that this menopausal weight gain may be due to a lack of progesterone. During these menopausal years, progesterone declines more than estrogen. This then makes estrogen the dominant hormone. And estrogen causes weight gain. That's why they give it to cattle in the feed lots to fatten them up. And fatten them up it does.
We burn calories during the menstrual cycle. The elimination of this cycle without a decrease in calorie intake also contributes to weight gain.
A significant number of menopausal and pre menopausal women are bothered by fatigue. Fatigue prevents women from performing everyday activities and exercising. This is another contribution to unwanted weight gain.
To eliminate fatigue you must eat a healthy diet. Blood sugar imbalances are one cause of fatigue. Eliminate sugar and processed foods from your diet. Stress is another cause of fatigue. As you probably know exercise will reduce your stress. Although during menopause it becomes harder to exercise because you are too tired to exercise and exercise is what you need to help beat the fatigue. So you must make every effort to exercise even when you are tired.
Supplementing with the B-complex vitamins may also help your fatigue. Ginseng may help fatigue.
Try using a natural progesterone cream. Rub it on your skin daily. This may help the estrogen progesterone balance. Progesterone also helps to turn fat into energy and has a thermogenic effect on the body.
Menopausal women gain weight around their midsection. Studies have shown that this is the worst place to gain weight. And spot reducing does not work. Exercise works best to get rid of fat in this area. Studies have shown conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) helps to trim the waistline. And it helps to build lean muscle mass.
If you decide to go with hormone replacement go for natural instead of synthetic. Natural is much safer and doesn't have the side effects of synthetic hormones.
A woman's energy requirements are about fifteen percent less during and after menopause than they were in her twenties. Studies have shown that woman gain 2 to 3 pounds per year during menopause and perimenopause. Just think about it, this weight gain can be about 30 pounds over those ten years. We don't notice a few pounds a year but after a few years we’re shocked by them.
Defeat those extra calories by exercising more. Physical activity will help with all menopausal symptoms. Better still eliminate those extra calories by reducing you caloric intake. Eating a balanced diet will help you get through most menopausal problems.
It’s much easier to keep the weight off than to lose it once you’ve gained it. If you are pre menopausal, now is the time to increase your exercise and decrease your calories. Starting a healthy weight loss program before or during menopause is necessary. If you don’t, before you know it those extra five, ten or even fifteen pounds will creep up on you. And that additional weight will be difficult to lose.
Linda Tremer has studied nutrition,weight loss and fitness for over 30 years. To read more articles like this one visit The Center For Weight Loss and Healthy Living. Many weight loss programs and healthy diet plans are reviewed here.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 5 Methods To Burn Stubborn Belly Fat
- Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat For A Female At Home: Hips, Kicks & Sides
- Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat For A Female At Home: 3 Ab-Strengthening Workouts
- Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat For A Female At Home: Basic Ways To Lose Weight Through Exercise & Diet
- Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat For A Female At Home: The Victory Stretch
- Eliminate Negative Thoughts And Lose Weight
- The Flat Belly Fix
- Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat For A Female At Home: Burpees
- Quarantine Up
- 4 Most Effective Foods that Burn Stubborn Belly Fat Fast
- How to Lose Weight With Green Tea Fast and No Risk?
- Your muscles is your power and beauty!
- 7 Natural Ways To Lose Your Belly Fat
- 3 Big Diet Mistakes You May Be Making
- The Best Way To Get Sexy Female Abs
- 7 Health Pointers for the Fitness Women
- Best Diet Plan to Loose Weight
- The Powerful Keto Fat Burning Diet
- How to Know the Authentic Fat Loss Diet Pills
- 4 Simple Ways To Stay Motivated For Women
- Impact of Combining Hemp Oil on the Keto Diet
- What is H.I.I.T., the One Minute Weight Loss Routine?
- How to Benefit from Keto Meal Plan
- Paleo Versus Keto Diet
- Tea is born to lose weight
- Techniques for Rapid Weight Loss Success
- What is Calorie Deficit
- Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
- Free Natural Weight Loss Plans
- Losing Weight Doesn’t Have To Be Hard - Try These Simple Tips