Smoked Fish Everything You Need To Know
- Author Alan Wulz
- Published February 13, 2010
- Word count 502
Ireland is well-known for smoked fish, as they have some of the best fish around. Smoking fish is an exquisite way to preserve fish and keep it as fresh as possible. Smoking fish does not have to be done, but many people like it for the unique flavor it gives fish. Smoked salmon and mackerel are two of the top purchased smoked fish in the country. Smoking fish started years ago when they would preserve the fish in winter to have over a long period of time. Native Americans also believed that if someone handled the salmon the wrong way, it would drive the salmon away from the waters and they would not be able to catch anymore. They would have it served only at their lavish festivals since it was such a delicacy to them. Salmon was highly respected by the Native Americans, Romans, and Greeks.
Smoking fish is one of the best ways to preserve fish. Smoked salmon and smoked mackerel have been smoked in Ireland for years. There are a variety of ways salmon can be smoked for example, cold-smoking and hot-smoking. Cold-smoking is cooked slowly for about 24 hours at a low temperature and hot-smoking is cooked at a hotter temperature for less time. Before starting either smoking technique the fish is cured with salt for minutes up to hours. This allows for the fish to let salt in and to kill bacteria while letting some moisture out. After curing the meat it will need to be rinsed off before the smoking process begins. Hot smoked fish can not be cut thin as it will fall apart and crumble. Smoked fish will last longer than fresh fish but should still be cooked and eaten within a few days.
Smoked salmon is best when you use the cold smoke method. It is very moist and can be cut thin without falling apart. Smoked mackerel is usually sold whole and vacuum packed very tight. Smoked fish are fish that have been cured by smoking. Smoked salmon is very pricey and is considered a delicacy. It has a very unique flavor and it almost always smoked, whether it is hot or cold smoked. Smoked mackerel is very rich in omega 3 and very high in protein. All smoked fish is very high in protein and very good for you. Fish is very healthy for you and though some people worry about mercury in fish, it has been proven that salmon has very low mercury.
Years ago smoking fish was done to preserve fish but now it does not have to be done this way. Although, many people love the flavor it gives the fish and will even choose to smoke it at home. The hot-smoked method is used for flavor in salmon, tuna, and trout. The mackerel is mainly only cold-smoked due to it needs to be packaged and vacuumed tight more quickly. This fish has been around for years and is a unique delicacy, and it will be for years to come.
There are no posted comments.
- FRESH SEAFOOD Our Fresh and Frozen Seafood will Delight You
- How to make the best pour over coffee
- Kitchener Meat Grinder Features - What to Look For
- What is The Purpose of Food Testing?
- The role of flax seeds in disease prevention
- How to Storage Loose Leaf Tea
- What Are The Common Foods That Causes Food Allergies
- The Rise of Pop-Up Restaurants and Bars
- Why does Pu-erh tea select Yunnan big leaf
- Differences between raw pu-erh and cooked
- Bagel Sliced Bread
- Henderson County Vineyards
- What to have for Dinner
- How meat re placers affect the beef industry.
- Creative Cakes: Mint, Cookies and Cream!
- Why Vegetarian?
- Best Places to Eat Pizza
- Using modern cleaning systems to increase beer line cleaning intervals
- A True Chicago Dining Experience
- Wellington and York Partners: Food Products You Shouldn’t Miss in Switzerland
- 10 difference between US and Italian pizza
- Build your own pizza to make it healthy and nutritious
- Natural Mineral Water An Elixir For Dehydration
- Choose Natural Mineral Water- Choose Your Health
- The Benefits of Eating Grass-fed Beef and Pastured Pork
- 10 Drinks to avoid when you’re 40
- Setting the Record straight on Meat Health
- Almond oil and its properties
- Use Water Dispensers and Routines to Lose Weight
- 3 Common Issues with a Water Cooler Dispenser