Cytokine Storm Management
- Author Eric Davis
- Published March 29, 2010
- Word count 517
A good defense against most illness is a healthy immune system. There are some illnesses that cause the immune system to attack the body. This is known as a Cytokine Storm.
DEFINE A CYTOKINE STORM
Tiny regulators in your body known as cytokines direct the immune response. If too many cytokines respond to a pathogen by over-stimulating the immune system, the resulting exaggerated response is called a Cytokine Storm.
Cytokine Storms are very serious. Symptoms of a Cytokine Storm include redness, inflammation, high fever, nausea and weakness. If the storm is concentrated in the lungs and airways, the mucus and inflammation has the potential to block airways and result in death. Many believe that the Cytokine Storm response was what caused the deaths of so many young adults in the 1918 Influenza Pandemic.
DON’T TRY TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM DURING A CYTOKINE STORM
At the first sign of serious viral infection, herbs and foods which boost the immune response should be avoided. Oregano, Aloe Vera, Pau d’arco, Elderberry and Echinacea are some of the herbs which are immune boosters and would offer an initial relief followed by more severe symptoms in this instance. Sambucol (which is Elderberry juice), Chlorella algae, Spirulina, Chocolate, Kimchi and Honey are additional foods that can increase cytokine production and should be avoided during a Cytokine Storm. These foods are good for treatment of less severe colds and flu, but should be avoided when symptoms become severe.
FIGHT PATHOGENS WITH ANTI-VIRALS
Use Antipathogenic herbs – also known as anti-virals – to fight a virus. Apple Cider vinegar, Eucalyptus (inhaled), Garlic, Ginger, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Mullein and Pine needles are helpful in this application.
IMMUNE RESPONSE BROUGHT INTO BALANCE WITH IMMUNOMODULATORS
Select herbs and foods that are known as immunomodulators. These can help bring the immune response back into balance or normal range. Chamomile, Ginseng and Olive Leaf Extract are included in this category.
WAYS TO TREAT SYMPTOMS
Anti-inflammatories help lessen the symptoms of excess mucus and inflammation that occur in some Cytokine Storms. Apple Cider Vinegar, Curcumin (extracted from Turmeric), Ginger, Marshmallow, Mullein, Mustard, Onions, Plantain, Pine Needles, Pleurisy Root, Red Clover, Yarrow or Eucalyptus (inhaled) are helpful in dealing with these symptoms.
Most herbs can be made into a pleasant tea to drink. Inhaling the steam of herbs and/or Apple Cider Vinegar simmering in water is another way to receive the beneficial properties of herbs. A plaster of mustard (and even onions) can be applied to the chest for relief. A well-made soup can deliver the benefits of onions. By smouldering the herbs as incense, their essential oils can be carried by the smoke into the air and inhaled into the lungs.
Rest and plenty of fluids are also very helpful in recovery. Keep a close watch on the symptoms and their progressions and seek the help of medical personnel should you determine the situation is life-threatening.
This article is for information purposes; it is no substitute for medical care. The reader will exercise common sense, seek to be informed and assume all liability in the use of these methods.
There are no posted comments.
- Spirulina for Diabetics - How it Can Help With Blood Sugar
- Top Tips To Succeed In Weaning
- Is Selenium Critical For Good Health?
- Cleansing the body with natural juices
- Shed that weight with HB5 supplement
- A Deeper Dive Into Green Tea's Benefits
- A Look at the Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt
- Blueberries Are Full of Health Benefits
- Five Things Anyone Can Do To Stay Healthy
- Best Foods to Boost Your Brain and Memory Your brain
- What is Nitric Oxide (N.O.)?
- Top Benefits of the Keto Diet
- Fitness Supplements and Expert Choice | BodyTechSupplements
- How To Increase Testosterone?
- Why and when did humankind switch to metal cookware, and what have been the effects?
- 5 Things I wish I have known when I started using Essential Oils
- A Beginners Guide to CBD & Why It Has Become So Popular
- best natural weight loss GOLD
- Lose Weight Easily Without Exercise
- Why Do People Fail On A Vegan Diet, While Others Succeed?
- Weight loss supplements really help you lose weight?
- Great Guide To Having A Healthy Body
- 8 Benefits of CBD Oil and Its Uses
- What Is Leptin Resistance?
- What are the health benefits of CBD Oil?
- Healthy Diet Tips for Pregnancy
- How to get a well-defined muscle mass in a short time?
- What is the most effective weight loss diet over the long term?
- How to Prevent Gestational diabetes
- Pre-workout supplements