Should You Snack on Pistachios to Control Acne?
- Author Naweko Nicole Dial
- Published May 14, 2007
- Word count 465
Pistachios contain the skin enriching nutrients vitamins A, C and E plus, zinc and folic acid. And now, new research from University of Toronto's Department of Nutritional Sciences could add pistachios to a growing list of acne treatments that already includes benzoyl peroxide and antibiotics.
The study's findings revealed that pistachios could help regulate the body's blood sugar levels.
In addition to a diabetic therapy, pistachio's effect on the body's blood sugar levels also marks it as a potential acne preventative. Biological traits characterizing acne onset include improper skin cell shedding, inflammation and excess bacteria. However, because of a pistachio's effect on blood sugar levels, this nut could prevent acne resulting from excess facial oil secretion caused by a rise in circulating androgens.
Therefore, pistachios could inhibit acne lesions induced by a condition known as "insulin resistance""insulin resistance".
The relationship between acne and insulin resistance
The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin. The body needs insulin to access its primary energy source- blood sugar (glucose). Insulin binds to key receptors in the blood to release glucose as the body requires more energy.
Insulin resistance happens when the normal amount of insulin the pancreas secretes proves insufficient to signal the release of glucose. And, to compensate, the pancreas secretes more insulin in order to free the needed glucose.
Insulin resistance can cause acne lesions due to increased circulating androgens. Now, the Toronto study's findings suggest that pistachios can curtail androgen surges caused by blood sugar fluctuations.
Pistachios act as a blood sugar regulator
Dr. Cyril Kendall, lead researcher of the study explained, "…Our preliminary findings demonstrate that suppressing the glycemic (blood sugar) response of high carbohydrate foods may be part of the mechanism by which pistachios contribute to cardiovascular health and to the prevention and control of diabetes."
Other scientists like Loren Cordain, PhD have noticed a link between insulin resistance and acne. In his work, "Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne", Cordain writes, "Dietary interventions using low glycemic load carbohydrate may have therapeutic potential in the treatment of acne because of the beneficial endocrine effects these diets possess."
Most acne treatments typically act on one or two symptoms such as surplus bacteria or clogged pores. Supplementing a diet with pistachios could help create a more robust acne therapy by also counteracting blood sugar shifts that produce excess oils and pimples.
Cordain, Lorent. Implications for the Role of Diet in Acne. Semin Cutan Med Surg; 2005, vol 24, pp 84-91.
Eating Pistachios May Reduce the Impact of Carbohydrates on Blood Sugar Levels. Henson Consulting; Newswise. May 1, 2007.
Wijeyaratne, Chandrika N, Adam H Balen, Julian H Barth, Paul E Belchetz. Clinical manifestations and insulin resistance (IR) in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) among South Asians and Caucasians: is there a difference? Clinical Endocrinology; September 2002, vol 57, no 3, pp 343-350.
Naweko Nicole Dial San-Joyz engineered the acne trigger approach to naturally controlling acne in her internationally published book, Acne Messages: Crack the code of your zits and say goodbye to acne. San-Joyz continues to serve persons with acne by developing customized acne scar removal treatments for the face and body at the San Diego based skin research firm Noixia. If you want free, researched tips for naturally removing acne marks, visit http://www.Noixia.com .Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Dental Crowns and Bridges in Singapore
- What Is Glutathione
- Benefits of essential oils for skin care
- All you need to know about Lip Gloss
- 18 Healthy Superfoods For Skin Whitening Naturally
- Auroma Remedies for Natural Pain Relief
- How do you start a hairdressing career?
- Emotional Benefits of Getting a Tantric Massage
- Just how To Preserve A Brazilian Deep Wave Hair
- What Your Moles Say About Your Personality
- How Can I Restore The Collagen In My Face
- 7 Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Tantric Massage Preparation and Techniques
- Everyday Skin Care
- 5 Ways to Cope with Hair Loss Easily
- Instant Results Tips To get ride of Dark Neck Skin
- Can You Receive Messages On Match Com Without Paying?
- Acupunture Therapies in North London
- The best Anti-Aging Products We Swear by
- Benefits of HEMP (NOT CBD) Oil for Eczema
- Vitamin C Serum
- Benefits of Hemp Oil and Cream For Skin
- Common Hair Problems that Hair Extensions Can Fix
- Hair Extensions for Your Wedding - Things You Must Know
- Beauty Secrets From The Bible For Today's Modern Woman
- What to Look for in a Spa
- Does Acupuncture Really Work?
- What Should You Look For In Microblading Training Instructors
- Microblading Training: How Long Does It Take
- How To Avoid Microblading Training Scams