CrockPot Cooking Tips
- Author Gord And Gertie Guide
- Published May 5, 2012
- Word count 482
There is nothing like coming home after a day out to the smell of something cooking and knowing your dinner is almost ready. This is the beauty behind a crock pot. With just a few minutes of preparation, an entire meal can be cooked and served from the same pot without the mess from traditional meal preparation.
Less work and less mess always equals less stress and dinner time can be a family gathering at the end of the day instead of the time consuming chore during a busy work week.
One pot slow cooking provides a number of possibilities for cooking leaner and less expensive cuts of meat. The moist, long, slow cooking provides tender meat with very little fat that is easily removed keeping meals not only tasty but healthy too.
Which Size Is Right?
If you don't already have a slow cooker, the first thing to consider is size. The size of your family is generally the best factor in determining the best fit. Small versions are often used for appetizers, and dips. These are roughly 16 oz. and are perfect for cooking for one.
A large family would be best served with a 5 qt. or even a 7 qt. model. These are the most cost efficient as they can also be used for batch dishes such as soups and chilies for larger pot luck events.
The larger the slow cooker, the more controls available. With just low and high preset settings, the results may not be as reliable. With the larger size and additional settings, you can preset variable cooking temperatures and cooking times for a better result.
The Dos and Don'ts
There are some steadfast rules when it comes to crock pot cooking. Some meals require ingredients to be added in stages. Most stews require the meat to be cook for a few hours before firm vegetables are added.
Rule of thumb; add things like spices, herbs and seasonings at the beginning of the cooking process and the softer or frozen vegetables in the final few minutes.
Liquid is a key ingredient in keeping your meal moist. Your tried and true beef or chicken stock can be substituted with canned soups, juices or even tea for tenderizing.
Leave it be. Since ingredients are thoroughly cooked over a long period of time, stirring is not recommended or the food will break apart. Removing the lid also interferes with the consistent temperature and can impact the length of time and the tenderness of the meal.
A crock pot is an essential appliance for any home and can deliver classic menus such as pot roast and five alarm chili with very little prep work involved. But it can also keep meals warm in family gatherings and get togethers without taking up space.
Unlimited recipes and your adventurous spirit is the only thing needed to make your crock pot your favourite kitchen tool.
Got a burning question about crockpot cooking? Grandpa Gord and Grandma Gertie put a sensible spin on expert advice, with a little humor thrown in. We cover topics ranging from pets to parenting, careers to hobbies, relationships to lifestyle, and everything in between. Visit us at SensibleGuides.com for some simple and straight from the hip advice.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Pu-erh Tea Storage Factors
- Inexperienced Smoothie recipes green tea, Vietnamese Coffee, pineapple kale
- Hamburgers and Chocolate Ice Cream
- How to Determine the Various Different Types of Sweet White Wine
- How to Choose an Electric Water Boiler and Kettle
- Things to Know Before Choosing Your Wedding Caterers
- Creative Leftovers
- Cooking with Disney Cookware Review
- How to pick the right grill
- Affordable Weekend Dinner Ideas For 2
- Cookbook for College Students
- What You Need To Know About Guilt Free Desserts
- 5 Non-vegetarian all-time favorite dishes available at kosher restaurants
- Surprising Things You Can Make in a Rice Cooker
- 9 useful facts about almonds
- Save Money And Time With A Bread Maker
- An Introduction to Bread Ingredients
- Brodo di Cappone…Broth with Capon
- Natale Italiano – or Christmas D.O.P. In Simon and Alessandro’s Crazy Style!
- Growth of restaurants in Indianapolis- Strategically burgeoning by leaps and bounds
- Curcumin and its Health Benefits
- Healthy Baking The Gluten Free Way
- 7 Perks That Silicone Bakeware Will Bring To Your Kitchen
- Golden rules to prepare the true Italian Risotto
- Little Known Facts and Other Uses for Rolling Pins
- Cool curd rice for summer
- Why Should You Consider The Cranberry All Year Long?
- Spicy and stuffed slowly roasted chicken – Indian style
- Better Nutrition With Homemade Soup
- Cookie Making Made Easy My Busy Mom Method