Caught in a time warp off the Gulf Coast.
- Author Jason Tucker
- Published July 6, 2012
- Word count 325
Where on earth does one go nowadays to savour the delights of old world charm, good manners, friendly service and a pace of life that pre-dates the digital age ? Well, contrary to popular opinion, you don’t have to go to quiet backwaters like the West of Ireland or New Zealand.
A recent visit to the balmy oasis that is Anna Maria Island, a 7.5 mile long sand bank a few hundred yards off the West Florida coast just south of Tampa Bay, confirms that such delightful retreats lie much closer to home. A reporter on a visit from Boston arrived minus her luggage which had been misplaced by her airline. In need of refreshment, she and her companion called in at a convenience store to buy a couple of cold sodas. On hearing of their problem, the guy at the counter directed them to their lodgings and gave them some chocolate candies totally free of charge.
This is the sort of little gesture that gives this dream-like backwater its enduring charm. It seems that no-one is in a hurry here except when it comes to service and civility. People still have the time of day to engage in impromptu conversation and give way at traffic junctions with a friendly wave.
This pleasant retro atmosphere is all so reminiscent of life in the 1950-s and this is reinforced by the fact that there is only one high rise building with nothing else over 3 storeys. As our intrepid visitor from New England discovered "Fast-food franchises are few. Mom-and-pop-type motels and cottage colonies rule. Stores sell such vacation necessities as inflatable alligators and purple Slurpees."
Local residents appear to revel in the fact that the 21st century has left the area so far behind. As far as they are concerned, they are at least 40 years behind the times and the idyllic island is a reminder of Florida as it used to be – just beaches, palm tress and pelicans.
Anna Maria Vacations is a truly unique rental company specializing in only the finest luxury properties for rent on the island. Find out more about Anna Maria RentalsArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Social Distancing Activities in Killington
- trekking in nepal
- Moshe Montifiori Street Jerusalem
- Jerusalem my precious
- Botanical Gardens in the United States - NM & CA
- Exploring More Botanical Gardens Located in the United States
- Exploring Three More Botanical Gardens in the United States
- Carthage, Tunisia
- Amazing things to do in Georgia
- 10 Important Forest Reserves in Vietnam
- The 10 Best Destinations For The Motorcycle Camping In The United States
- Great Destinations for a Motorcycle Camping Trip
- What to visit in Marrakech?
- 10 Facts About Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi
- Best European Places for Winter Vacations
- Best Places in Europe for New Year’s Eve
- Tips to Cool Down on Kimberley Cruises
- Considering Cruise Deals - 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do on Your First Cruise
- Fishing and Marine Life You Can Enjoy on Kimberley Cruises
- 9 Places You Should Visit In Granite Bay
- Best Places To Live In Placer County
- Top 7 Places To Visit In The Bay Area
- Tourist Attractions In Nevada County
- Top 8 Attractions Of The San Francisco Bay Area
- Escape to Greece Without Having To Take A Ferry
- Cheap Holidays in Egypt - Archaeological Wonders to Explore during your Vacation
- Where to swim in Athens
- Life at Cape Flattery Lighthouse
- Where to Stay in Santorini the Best Towns & Hotels
- Alki Point: From a Kerosene Lantern to Lighthouse