Fijian Heritage and Culture
- Author Hugh Mcinnes
- Published July 28, 2012
- Word count 446
Fiji’s captivating traditions, belief systems and the friendly nature of its people can truly offer a special holiday experience.
Fijians are generally relaxed and casual in their mannerisms. Even so, it is still considered polite to follow certain forms of etiquette. For instance, you should always wear modest attire when visiting a village in order to avoid appearing ostentatious. Promptly remove your hat when standing before a chief to show the utmost respect. Like with many Asian cultures, all shoes should be removed and left outside before entering a home. Never touch the head of another person, even if it is done so affectionately. Also, when visiting a village, always bring a gift of kava root for the chief’s household to mix into a delicious local drink.
The people of Fiji conduct many different types of ceremonies. One of the most popular ceremonies involves different tribesmen methodically creating a drink mixed with kava to be served to the chief. Another ceremony showcasing traditional Fiji heritage involves a feast using a cooking pit (also known as a "lovo") to cook wholesome meals using meats such as pork, lamb and fish. Meke, the traditional dance style of Fiji, is often performed during special ceremonies.
Days of Recognition
Fiji acknowledges a number of special days during the year. Fiji Day, which is celebrated in October, commemorates the nation’s independence. Ratu Sir Lala Sukuna Day is celebrated in May in honour of Fiji’s famed chief and statesman. Fiji still recognises its previous ties to Great Britain by celebrating the Queen’s Official Birthday in June.
Places to Visit in Fiji
There are many captivating places to visit around Fiji. The nation is perhaps best known for its plentiful beaches featuring soft sand and gorgeous views of the ocean. For religious sites, try visiting the beautiful Hindu temple of Sri Siva Subramaniya and St. John’s Catholic Church. Navala is one of the best examples of a traditional Fijian village still in existence. The Fiji Museum displays many artefacts representing the nation’s history. The caves of Naihere can also be explored. Other important landmarks include Fiji Parliament House, the Tamavua Underground Hospital and the Suva City Library.
Many all-inclusive holiday packages offer Fiji flights and hotels at very reasonable prices. During your stay, take a boat to explore all of the nation’s islands. Taking a bus is another workable form of transport. A car hire can also easily be arranged.
Spending holidays in Fiji will certainly provide a travel experience like no other. The magnificent sites and alluring culture of the people offer a special blend that only Fiji can provide.
When looking for flights to Fiji, Hugh McInnes was thinking about a relaxing trip with clear water and some surfers around. However, Hugh was surprised in his Fiji holidays; he ended up finding that Fiji is actually a place full of culture, with unique people, traditions and food. You can find more about Fiji on http://www.airpacific.com/Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Social Distancing Activities in Killington
- trekking in nepal
- Moshe Montifiori Street Jerusalem
- Jerusalem my precious
- Botanical Gardens in the United States - NM & CA
- Exploring More Botanical Gardens Located in the United States
- Exploring Three More Botanical Gardens in the United States
- Carthage, Tunisia
- Amazing things to do in Georgia
- 10 Important Forest Reserves in Vietnam
- The 10 Best Destinations For The Motorcycle Camping In The United States
- Great Destinations for a Motorcycle Camping Trip
- What to visit in Marrakech?
- 10 Facts About Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi
- Best European Places for Winter Vacations
- Best Places in Europe for New Year’s Eve
- Tips to Cool Down on Kimberley Cruises
- Considering Cruise Deals - 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do on Your First Cruise
- Fishing and Marine Life You Can Enjoy on Kimberley Cruises
- 9 Places You Should Visit In Granite Bay
- Best Places To Live In Placer County
- Top 7 Places To Visit In The Bay Area
- Tourist Attractions In Nevada County
- Top 8 Attractions Of The San Francisco Bay Area
- Escape to Greece Without Having To Take A Ferry
- Cheap Holidays in Egypt - Archaeological Wonders to Explore during your Vacation
- Where to swim in Athens
- Life at Cape Flattery Lighthouse
- Where to Stay in Santorini the Best Towns & Hotels
- Alki Point: From a Kerosene Lantern to Lighthouse